Installing Vista over ME

=?Utf-8?B?U2hlbGRvbg==?=

Installing Vista over ME
Do I need to (or should I) remove Windows ME before installing Vista?
Dale M. White

Re: Installing Vista over ME
I'm a big fan of format re-install. ME was one of the buggier of the OSes.
So more times than not, you'll inherit any problems that you already have.

"Sheldon" <Sheldon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Do I need to (or should I) remove Windows ME before installing Vista?

=?Utf-8?B?U2hlbGRvbg==?=

Re: Installing Vista over ME
Thanks for the help Dale.

"Dale M. White" wrote:

> I'm a big fan of format re-install. ME was one of the buggier of the OSes.
> So more times than not, you'll inherit any problems that you already have.
>

> "Sheldon" <Sheldon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Do I need to (or should I) remove Windows ME before installing Vista?

Mellowed

Re: Installing Vista over ME

Since your machine is old enough to have ME on it, are you sure that it
can handle Vista? i.e. RAM, Video, CPU, etc.

"Sheldon" <Sheldon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
: Do I need to (or should I) remove Windows ME before installing Vista?

CharlesE

Re: Installing Vista over ME
ME runs on FAT32
Vista has to install on NTFS

You are booting from the DVD and doing a Clean install after a format.
Also, don't by an upgrade copy as it will not work.

CharlesE

"Sheldon" <Sheldon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Do I need to (or should I) remove Windows ME before installing Vista?

JMI

Re: Installing Vista over ME
Wait a minute! It's my understanding that all the "Upgrade" version is
going to do is to look for either a previous version of Windows installed on
the system or look for a previous Windows installation CD (Windows 98, ME,
2000, or XP) during the beginning of the installation. That's exactly how
the XP upgrade CD works, so I would think that Vista would be the same.

And as far as FAT32 vs NTFS goes, Vista should see that the partition is
FAT32 and ask you if you'd like to convert it to NTFS (just like Windows
2000 and Windows XP did). Either way, it will convert it for you during the
installation (READ: BACKUP EVERYTHING that you would hate to loose in the
event something goes wrong.)

Also, I'd suggest downloading this before you even purchase Windows Vista.
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?link...26&clcid=0x409

This utility will tell you whether or not your system has the hardware it
takes to run Vista or not.

my2˘

Jeff

"CharlesE" <cnerwin(at)yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:kb2dnXdHkqfWq1nYnZ2dnUVZ_uqvnZ2d@comcast.com. ..
> ME runs on FAT32
> Vista has to install on NTFS
>
> You are booting from the DVD and doing a Clean install after a format.
> Also, don't by an upgrade copy as it will not work.
>
> CharlesE
>
> "Sheldon" <Sheldon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Do I need to (or should I) remove Windows ME before installing Vista?

Jane C

Re: Installing Vista over ME
ME does not qualify for upgrade pricing. Only a full retail version can be
used. And clean install only.

--
Jane, not plain 64 bit enabled :-)
"JMI" <ingramje@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Wait a minute! It's my understanding that all the "Upgrade" version is
> going to do is to look for either a previous version of Windows installed
> on the system or look for a previous Windows installation CD (Windows 98,
> ME, 2000, or XP) during the beginning of the installation. That's exactly
> how the XP upgrade CD works, so I would think that Vista would be the
> same.
>
> And as far as FAT32 vs NTFS goes, Vista should see that the partition is
> FAT32 and ask you if you'd like to convert it to NTFS (just like Windows
> 2000 and Windows XP did). Either way, it will convert it for you during
> the installation (READ: BACKUP EVERYTHING that you would hate to loose in
> the event something goes wrong.)
>
> Also, I'd suggest downloading this before you even purchase Windows Vista.
> http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?link...26&clcid=0x409
>
> This utility will tell you whether or not your system has the hardware it
> takes to run Vista or not.
>
> my2˘
>
> Jeff
>

> "CharlesE" <cnerwin(at)yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:kb2dnXdHkqfWq1nYnZ2dnUVZ_uqvnZ2d@comcast.com. ..
>> ME runs on FAT32
>> Vista has to install on NTFS
>>
>> You are booting from the DVD and doing a Clean install after a format.
>> Also, don't by an upgrade copy as it will not work.
>>
>> CharlesE
>>
>> "Sheldon" <Sheldon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> Do I need to (or should I) remove Windows ME before installing Vista?

Hugh Wyn Griffith

Re: Installing Vista over ME
In article <eeouB5$RHHA.388@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl>, Jmi wrote:
> *It's my understanding that all the "Upgrade" version is*
> going to do is to look for either a previous version of Windows installed on*
> the system or look for a previous Windows installation CD (Windows 98, ME,*
> 2000, or XP) during the beginning of the installation. *

No -- Only WIN 2000 or XP qualify to support using an upgrade version of VISTA.

> That's exactly how*the XP upgrade CD works, so I would think that Vista would
> be the same.

Unfortunately Microsoft thinks differently ..... You are right about XP but
with VISTA you have to have the earlier version actually installed, and if it
is XP it has to be activated as well.

Hugh Wyn Griffith

Re: Installing Vista over ME
Just taken the librty of amplifying your short reply <g>

Lang Murphy

Re: Installing Vista over ME
Dude... you need to get a new computer before you try Vista. If you're
running ME, your computer is, what? 5, 6, 7, or more, years old?

What's the CPU, RAM, HD on this box? 300Mhz PII? 128MB's RAM, 4GB HD?

Lang