Vista Ultimate Upgrade

=?Utf-8?B?Y2hyaXNq?=

Vista Ultimate Upgrade
I bought the Vista ultimate upgrade and planned to do a clean install.
Thinking that it was the same as an XP install and would request my old CD i
boot from the CD and get told i have to run the setup program from my
existing OS. This is completely useless to me as i want to be able to resize
my partitions. Someone told me to boot from CD and not enter a key to get
the 90 day trial version then put my CD key in to activate it. When i did
that it said that since i had an upgrade version i had to re-install XP then
install Vista. Is this some kind of joke? Everytime I build a new machine
or upgrade my drive i'm going to have to install XP first then install Vista?
This just totally blows my mind. Talk about making life for the end users
more difficult. That adds an extra 30 min step to the install process. Does
anyone know of a legitimate workaround for this?

Thanks,
Chris
John E. Carty

Re: Vista Ultimate Upgrade
This is the workaround for not installing XP first:

1. Boot with the Windows Vista Upgrade DVD.

2. Click "Install Now."

3. Do not enter a Product Key When prompted.

4. When prompted, select the Vista product edition that you do have.

6. Install Vista normally.

7. Once the install is complete, restart the DVD-based Setup from within
Windows Vista. Perform an in-place upgrade.

8. Enter your Product Key when prompted.

"chrisj" <chrisj@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I bought the Vista ultimate upgrade and planned to do a clean install.
> Thinking that it was the same as an XP install and would request my old CD
> boot from the CD and get told i have to run the setup program from my
> existing OS. This is completely useless to me as i want to be able to
> resize
> my partitions. Someone told me to boot from CD and not enter a key to get
> the 90 day trial version then put my CD key in to activate it. When i did
> that it said that since i had an upgrade version i had to re-install XP
> then
> install Vista. Is this some kind of joke? Everytime I build a new
> machine
> or upgrade my drive i'm going to have to install XP first then install
> Vista?
> This just totally blows my mind. Talk about making life for the end users
> more difficult. That adds an extra 30 min step to the install process.
> Does
> anyone know of a legitimate workaround for this?
>
> Thanks,
> Chris

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Re: Vista Ultimate Upgrade
Yes, return your upgrade version of Vista and purchase a "Full Version".

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"chrisj" wrote:

[...]

BobS

Re: Vista Ultimate Upgrade
Carey,

The undocumented "clean install" capability is a function of the Vista
software and valid method of installing - as in the past. It is not a
"cheat, technical work-around, nor does it go against the EULA". It is a
method well known by MS - as were many other "undocumented features" in past
OSs - and Vista, I'm sure has many more (there's a slew of books about it
already). If they knew about it (as they did) and did not change their
install algorithms to prevent that - then it's allowed - just "not
documented". How about all the undocumented features you talk about - you
use them - right? And besides, ambiguities work both ways....

So why are you advising someone to go out and spend double the money when it
is not necessary, nor needed, legally or technically?

Your help over the past few years has been greatly appreciated and I must
admit, this is the first time I have read you giving someone unsound advice.

Sorry to be short with you on this one but I'm having a helluva time with
Vista right now - can't get it to load onto a SATA drive. I'm sure you've
seen the posts I've made.

Bob S.

> Yes, return your upgrade version of Vista and purchase a "Full Version".
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows - Shell/User

> "chrisj" wrote:
>
> I bought the Vista ultimate upgrade and planned to do a clean install.
> Thinking that it was the same as an XP install and would request my old CD
> boot from the CD and get told i have to run the setup program from my
> existing OS. This is completely useless to me as i want to be able to
> resize
> my partitions. Someone told me to boot from CD and not enter a key to get
> the 90 day trial version then put my CD key in to activate it. When i did
> that it said that since i had an upgrade version i had to re-install XP
> then
> install Vista. Is this some kind of joke? Everytime I build a new
> machine
> or upgrade my drive i'm going to have to install XP first then install
> Vista?
> This just totally blows my mind. Talk about making life for the end users
> more difficult. That adds an extra 30 min step to the install process.
> Does
> anyone know of a legitimate workaround for this?
>
> Thanks,
> Chris

Don Burnette

Re: Vista Ultimate Upgrade
I swear, I am just curious, do you get a kick out of telling people that
have to go by another version of Vista??

--
Don

> Yes, return your upgrade version of Vista and purchase a "Full Version".
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows - Shell/User

> "chrisj" wrote:
>
> I bought the Vista ultimate upgrade and planned to do a clean install.
> Thinking that it was the same as an XP install and would request my old CD
> boot from the CD and get told i have to run the setup program from my
> existing OS. This is completely useless to me as i want to be able to
> resize
> my partitions. Someone told me to boot from CD and not enter a key to get
> the 90 day trial version then put my CD key in to activate it. When i did
> that it said that since i had an upgrade version i had to re-install XP
> then
> install Vista. Is this some kind of joke? Everytime I build a new
> machine
> or upgrade my drive i'm going to have to install XP first then install
> Vista?
> This just totally blows my mind. Talk about making life for the end users
> more difficult. That adds an extra 30 min step to the install process.
> Does
> anyone know of a legitimate workaround for this?
>
> Thanks,
> Chris

Jim

Re: Vista Ultimate Upgrade
He gave him the answer he asked for. What is wrong with that?

Jim

"Don Burnette" <d.burnette@clothes.comcast.net> wrote in message
>I swear, I am just curious, do you get a kick out of telling people that
>have to go by another version of Vista??
>

> --
> Don

>> Yes, return your upgrade version of Vista and purchase a "Full Version".
>>
>> --
>> Carey Frisch
>> Microsoft MVP
>> Windows - Shell/User
>>
>> -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>
>> "chrisj" wrote:
>>
>> I bought the Vista ultimate upgrade and planned to do a clean install.
>> Thinking that it was the same as an XP install and would request my old
>> CD i
>> boot from the CD and get told i have to run the setup program from my
>> existing OS. This is completely useless to me as i want to be able to
>> resize
>> my partitions. Someone told me to boot from CD and not enter a key to
>> get
>> the 90 day trial version then put my CD key in to activate it. When i
>> did
>> that it said that since i had an upgrade version i had to re-install XP
>> then
>> install Vista. Is this some kind of joke? Everytime I build a new
>> machine
>> or upgrade my drive i'm going to have to install XP first then install
>> Vista?
>> This just totally blows my mind. Talk about making life for the end
>> users
>> more difficult. That adds an extra 30 min step to the install process.
>> Does
>> anyone know of a legitimate workaround for this?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Chris

Don Burnette

Re: Vista Ultimate Upgrade
See BobS' reply,

There certainly is a workaround, without the need for going out and buying a
full version, if I am understanding what I have been reading on these groups
correctly. He also did the same in the general group a couple of days ago,
on another issue, but admitted the error when someone called him on it, so
I will give him credit for that.

Don't get me wrong, I have followed XP and these groups for some time, and
he has been a lot of help to some, myself included, I just think oftentimes
he is too quick to suggest running out and buying x version of the software.

--
Don

"Jim" <Nomail@xx.xx> wrote in message newsm2xh.869$177.404@trndny08...
> He gave him the answer he asked for. What is wrong with that?
>
> Jim
>

> "Don Burnette" <d.burnette@clothes.comcast.net> wrote in message
>>I swear, I am just curious, do you get a kick out of telling people that
>>have to go by another version of Vista??
>>

>> --
>> Don
>>

>> "Carey Frisch [MVP]" <cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Yes, return your upgrade version of Vista and purchase a "Full Version".
>>>
>>> --
>>> Carey Frisch
>>> Microsoft MVP
>>> Windows - Shell/User
>>>
>>> -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>>
>>> "chrisj" wrote:
>>>
>>> I bought the Vista ultimate upgrade and planned to do a clean install.
>>> Thinking that it was the same as an XP install and would request my old
>>> CD i
>>> boot from the CD and get told i have to run the setup program from my
>>> existing OS. This is completely useless to me as i want to be able to
>>> resize
>>> my partitions. Someone told me to boot from CD and not enter a key to
>>> get
>>> the 90 day trial version then put my CD key in to activate it. When i
>>> did
>>> that it said that since i had an upgrade version i had to re-install XP
>>> then
>>> install Vista. Is this some kind of joke? Everytime I build a new
>>> machine
>>> or upgrade my drive i'm going to have to install XP first then install
>>> Vista?
>>> This just totally blows my mind. Talk about making life for the end
>>> users
>>> more difficult. That adds an extra 30 min step to the install process.
>>> Does
>>> anyone know of a legitimate workaround for this?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Chris