Passes Ugrade Advisor, Fails Install

92869

Passes Ugrade Advisor, Fails Install
Trying to install Vista Ultimate upgrade over XP Pro.

System is new. Assembled since the first of the year, with the intention of
running Vista. Configuration as follows: AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+, in an ECS
NFORCE4M-A motherboard ( CPU and MB purchased as a unit from Fry's), 2GB
PC6400 RAM, EVGA e-GeForce 7600 GT video card, 2 ea WD Raptor SATA 74GB
10000 RPM hard drives running in RAID 0.

At about 68% of completion phase, I get an error message saying the install
failed and that I should run the Upgrade Advisor in order to determine the
cause. The Upgrade Advisor certifies that the system can run Vista and
reccomends the Business Edition.

Any ideas?

Thanks, in advance.

=?Utf-8?B?V3JpdGVkb25uaWU=?=

RE: Passes Ugrade Advisor, Fails Install
Step 1: Make sure you have absolutely no Anti-Virus in your program folders
or registry.
Step 2: Try the Upgrade again.
Step 3: Backup all of your files, and reformat your system to the original
Manufacturer settings. If XP was not Pre-Installed, go ahead and re-install
Windows XP. Than the upgrade will work fine.

What has happened, is apparently something that had been uninstalled from
your computer had disabled some of the installation files. Reformatting will
correct this.

Let me know if this does not help and we will try another option. This has
been the number one solution for Failed Upgrades.

"92869" wrote:

> Trying to install Vista Ultimate upgrade over XP Pro.
>
> System is new. Assembled since the first of the year, with the intention of
> running Vista. Configuration as follows: AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+, in an ECS
> NFORCE4M-A motherboard ( CPU and MB purchased as a unit from Fry's), 2GB
> PC6400 RAM, EVGA e-GeForce 7600 GT video card, 2 ea WD Raptor SATA 74GB
> 10000 RPM hard drives running in RAID 0.
>
> At about 68% of completion phase, I get an error message saying the install
> failed and that I should run the Upgrade Advisor in order to determine the
> cause. The Upgrade Advisor certifies that the system can run Vista and
> reccomends the Business Edition.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks, in advance.

=?Utf-8?B?QmF0aG9yeQ==?=

RE: Passes Ugrade Advisor, Fails Install
Hello,

I am having a similar problem. My system is quite new (Athlon FX 57, 2 gigs
of Ram, Geforce Go 7800 GTX, XP Pro well updated) and upgrade advisor gave me
green light for upgrade. The only remaining issues were with my display
drivers but nothing that could prevent me from upgrading. My anti-virus is
Kaspersky 6.0 which is Vista Compatible. I bought the Update Disc of Vista
Ultimate.

After reaching 68% on upgrade completion my computer restarts and suddenly I
see a blue screen that I cannot even read because it instantly reboots and
gives me the screen where it says that my windows cannot be upgraded and that
it will put back XP.

I read something about going into the BIOS and deactivating "Cool n Quiet"
technology but before trying something I would like to ask first.

Thank you all very much for your support.

"Writedonnie" wrote:

> Step 1: Make sure you have absolutely no Anti-Virus in your program folders
> or registry.
> Step 2: Try the Upgrade again.
> Step 3: Backup all of your files, and reformat your system to the original
> Manufacturer settings. If XP was not Pre-Installed, go ahead and re-install
> Windows XP. Than the upgrade will work fine.
>
> What has happened, is apparently something that had been uninstalled from
> your computer had disabled some of the installation files. Reformatting will
> correct this.
>
> Let me know if this does not help and we will try another option. This has
> been the number one solution for Failed Upgrades.

Adam Albright

Re: Passes Ugrade Advisor, Fails Install
On Sun, 18 Feb 2007 10:41:00 -0800, Bathory
<Bathory@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I am having a similar problem. My system is quite new (Athlon FX 57, 2 gigs
>of Ram, Geforce Go 7800 GTX, XP Pro well updated) and upgrade advisor gave me
>green light for upgrade. The only remaining issues were with my display
>drivers but nothing that could prevent me from upgrading. My anti-virus is
>Kaspersky 6.0 which is Vista Compatible. I bought the Update Disc of Vista
>Ultimate.

Sadly lots of people get a inital green light from the pile of crap
called Vista Update Advisor only to see the install crash at some
point due to things that the Advisor passed.

A quick web search found this:

http://drivers.softpedia.com/get/GRA...are-9729.shtml