License key problem

=?Utf-8?B?TWlyY2VhIEk=?=

License key problem
I have recently acquired a Vista Business license key through MSDN Academic
Alliance.

The fun thing is, the software won't activate, claiming the key was already
used. Is this really possible? What are the odds of key collision this early
after Vista's launch?

Please note, the product key I had received from MSDNAA was accepted by the
setup program without any problems. I had also checked that 'Activate ASAO'
checkbox, and furthemore, I installed the WGA plugin from
http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/ - which confirmed I was legit.

But Control Panel :: System says, "3 days until automatic activation.
Activate Windows now", and when I click on that and I choose 'Activate
Windows Vista now', I get that 'The product key you typed is already in use'
message.

I'm pretty sure I noone ever had access to that product key except me,
unless somebody broken into my MSDNAA account at
http://msdn63.e-academy.com/msdnaa_nl4210, which I belive to be highly
unlikely.

One more thing. Microsoft Update also seems not to be reachable (drivers
online update, as well as Microsoft Update hang - but with the progress bar
moving and my CPU at 100%, 9x% being help by MMC running devmgmt.msc), even
though my Internet connection is rock solid, and seemingly everything else
works. What's happening here?

Mircea.

P.S. If I posted to the wrong thread, please relocate this. But I'm really
curios as to what's going on...
=?Utf-8?B?TWlyY2VhIEk=?=

RE: License key problem
[EDIT]

After messing with the services ( := killing all those I obviously didn't
need) and restarting, Microsoft Update started working. The activation part
however still wouldn't work.

So I said, wtf, let's see how far this goes, and I set the computer's date
into the future by one week (which I believed would make Vista complain I
should activate right away). To my greatest surprise, Windows was now
announcing I had 23 (!) days until activation (instead of the former 3). I
gave up understanding anything, as I'll probably revert to XP in a few days
anyway. Doesn't look as nice, but at least I know what to expect from it...

Microsoft guys, you do have some serious problems with this piece of
software... I believe I'll stick to my faithful XP, probably until Vista SP1
is issued...

Regards.
pvdg42

Re: License key problem

"Mircea I" <MirceaI@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> [EDIT]
>
> After messing with the services ( := killing all those I obviously didn't
> need) and restarting, Microsoft Update started working. The activation
> part
> however still wouldn't work.
>
> So I said, wtf, let's see how far this goes, and I set the computer's date
> into the future by one week (which I believed would make Vista complain I
> should activate right away). To my greatest surprise, Windows was now
> announcing I had 23 (!) days until activation (instead of the former 3). I
> gave up understanding anything, as I'll probably revert to XP in a few
> days
> anyway. Doesn't look as nice, but at least I know what to expect from
> it...
>
> Microsoft guys, you do have some serious problems with this piece of
> software... I believe I'll stick to my faithful XP, probably until Vista
> SP1
> is issued...
>
> Regards.

What you need to do is go back to your local MSDN AA Administrator, report
the issue and request a new key.
There have been a few reports elsewhere about problems with MSDN AA Vista
keys. Tell your admin to check the MSDN AA private newsgroups.

--
Peter [MVP Visual Developer]
Jack of all trades, master of none.