Vista Ultimate OEM

=?Utf-8?B?RnJhemVy?=

Vista Ultimate OEM
I am a gamer, and as a gamer when i upgrade things such as my motherboard i
have to re install Windows, now i have heard that Vista only lets you upgrade
your motherboard twice and then you have to buy a new copy of Vista Ultimate
OEM is this true?

Or can i re install Vista Ultimate OEM as many times as i like no matter the
ammount of times i upgrade or reinstall?
Carey Frisch [MVP]

Re: Vista Ultimate OEM
Once you install and activate an OEM version of Windows Vista,
the license is permanently tied to the original motherboard. If you
are planning on upgrading your motherboard in the future, then you
need to purchase a "Full Retail Version" of Windows Vista.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Frazer" wrote:

I am a gamer, and as a gamer when i upgrade things such as my motherboard i
have to re install Windows, now i have heard that Vista only lets you upgrade
your motherboard twice and then you have to buy a new copy of Vista Ultimate
OEM is this true?

Or can i re install Vista Ultimate OEM as many times as i like no matter the
ammount of times i upgrade or reinstall?
jel183\(UK\)

Re: Vista Ultimate OEM
"Frazer" <Frazer @discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am a gamer, and as a gamer when i upgrade things such as my motherboard i
> have to re install Windows, now i have heard that Vista only lets you
> upgrade
> your motherboard twice and then you have to buy a new copy of Vista
> Ultimate
> OEM is this true?
>
> Or can i re install Vista Ultimate OEM as many times as i like no matter
> the
> ammount of times i upgrade or reinstall?

jel183(UK)
Vista Ultimate x86

Dave B.

Re: Vista Ultimate OEM
According to this http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,2087792,00.asp that
is not so, I quote;

"A Microsoft representative confirmed that users may buy an OEM copy of
Windows Vista at a substantial discount, provided they adhere to the terms
of the license - which, incidentally, may mean providing support for family
members.
In addition, users should still be subject to the same familiar
re-activation restrictions as users of a retail Vista license and Windows
XP, a spokeswoman said. Users can alter the PC's hardware substantially, but
they will be forced to reactivate - not repurchase the OEM software - if
they do, she said.

One system builder pointed out, however, that Microsoft's OEM license
forbids the software from being transferred to a whole new machine, from
scratch, once it is installed on the original target machine."

This implies to me that a motherboard swap is within the EULA.

--
___________________________
http://www.db-pc.com
> Once you install and activate an OEM version of Windows Vista,
> the license is permanently tied to the original motherboard. If you
> are planning on upgrading your motherboard in the future, then you
> need to purchase a "Full Retail Version" of Windows Vista.
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Shell/User

> "Frazer" wrote:
>
> I am a gamer, and as a gamer when i upgrade things such as my motherboard
> have to re install Windows, now i have heard that Vista only lets you
> upgrade
> your motherboard twice and then you have to buy a new copy of Vista
> Ultimate
> OEM is this true?
>
> Or can i re install Vista Ultimate OEM as many times as i like no matter
> the
> ammount of times i upgrade or reinstall?

John Barnes

Re: Vista Ultimate OEM
Mobo swaps have been considered a new computer. Carey is correct. Remember
the OEM is also subject to the system builder license.

"Dave B." <mail@nomail.com> wrote in message
> According to this http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,2087792,00.asp that
> is not so, I quote;
>
> "A Microsoft representative confirmed that users may buy an OEM copy of
> Windows Vista at a substantial discount, provided they adhere to the terms
> of the license - which, incidentally, may mean providing support for
> family members.
> In addition, users should still be subject to the same familiar
> re-activation restrictions as users of a retail Vista license and Windows
> XP, a spokeswoman said. Users can alter the PC's hardware substantially,
> but they will be forced to reactivate - not repurchase the OEM software -
> if they do, she said.
>
> One system builder pointed out, however, that Microsoft's OEM license
> forbids the software from being transferred to a whole new machine, from
> scratch, once it is installed on the original target machine."
>
> This implies to me that a motherboard swap is within the EULA.
>

> --
> ___________________________
> http://www.db-pc.com
>> Once you install and activate an OEM version of Windows Vista,
>> the license is permanently tied to the original motherboard. If you
>> are planning on upgrading your motherboard in the future, then you
>> need to purchase a "Full Retail Version" of Windows Vista.
>>
>> --
>> Carey Frisch
>> Microsoft MVP
>> Windows Shell/User
>>
>> --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>
>> "Frazer" wrote:
>>
>> I am a gamer, and as a gamer when i upgrade things such as my motherboard
>> have to re install Windows, now i have heard that Vista only lets you
>> upgrade
>> your motherboard twice and then you have to buy a new copy of Vista
>> Ultimate
>> OEM is this true?
>>
>> Or can i re install Vista Ultimate OEM as many times as i like no matter
>> the
>> ammount of times i upgrade or reinstall?

David B.

Re: Vista Ultimate OEM
The same terms apply to XP OEM, but you can still get it reactivated without
a problem after replacing a mobo, I've done it many times. I would disagree
that mobo swaps are considered a new computer, read the link I provided,
they are referring to the OEM version.

> Mobo swaps have been considered a new computer. Carey is correct.
> Remember the OEM is also subject to the system builder license.
>
> "Dave B." <mail@nomail.com> wrote in message
>> According to this http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,2087792,00.asp
>> that is not so, I quote;
>>
>> "A Microsoft representative confirmed that users may buy an OEM copy of
>> Windows Vista at a substantial discount, provided they adhere to the
>> terms of the license - which, incidentally, may mean providing support
>> for family members.
>> In addition, users should still be subject to the same familiar
>> re-activation restrictions as users of a retail Vista license and Windows
>> XP, a spokeswoman said. Users can alter the PC's hardware substantially,
>> but they will be forced to reactivate - not repurchase the OEM software -
>> if they do, she said.
>>
>> One system builder pointed out, however, that Microsoft's OEM license
>> forbids the software from being transferred to a whole new machine, from
>> scratch, once it is installed on the original target machine."
>>
>> This implies to me that a motherboard swap is within the EULA.
>>

>> --
>> ___________________________
>> http://www.db-pc.com
>> "Carey Frisch [MVP]" <cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Once you install and activate an OEM version of Windows Vista,
>>> the license is permanently tied to the original motherboard. If you
>>> are planning on upgrading your motherboard in the future, then you
>>> need to purchase a "Full Retail Version" of Windows Vista.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Carey Frisch
>>> Microsoft MVP
>>> Windows Shell/User
>>>
>>> --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>>
>>> "Frazer" wrote:
>>>
>>> I am a gamer, and as a gamer when i upgrade things such as my
>>> motherboard i
>>> have to re install Windows, now i have heard that Vista only lets you
>>> upgrade
>>> your motherboard twice and then you have to buy a new copy of Vista
>>> Ultimate
>>> OEM is this true?
>>>
>>> Or can i re install Vista Ultimate OEM as many times as i like no matter
>>> the
>>> ammount of times i upgrade or reinstall?

John Barnes

Re: Vista Ultimate OEM
Read your own link

"It's important that people understand the OEM EULA when it says that your
OEM Vista (XP is the same) can not be transferred to a new computer, and a
new (upgraded) motherboard is also considered a new computer,"

"David B." <brooks.dj@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote in message
> The same terms apply to XP OEM, but you can still get it reactivated
> without a problem after replacing a mobo, I've done it many times. I would
> disagree that mobo swaps are considered a new computer, read the link I
> provided, they are referring to the OEM version.
>
> "John Barnes" <jbarnes@email.net> wrote in message
>> Mobo swaps have been considered a new computer. Carey is correct.
>> Remember the OEM is also subject to the system builder license.
>>
>> "Dave B." <mail@nomail.com> wrote in message
>>> According to this http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,2087792,00.asp
>>> that is not so, I quote;
>>>
>>> "A Microsoft representative confirmed that users may buy an OEM copy of
>>> Windows Vista at a substantial discount, provided they adhere to the
>>> terms of the license - which, incidentally, may mean providing support
>>> for family members.
>>> In addition, users should still be subject to the same familiar
>>> re-activation restrictions as users of a retail Vista license and
>>> Windows XP, a spokeswoman said. Users can alter the PC's hardware
>>> substantially, but they will be forced to reactivate - not repurchase
>>> the OEM software - if they do, she said.
>>>
>>> One system builder pointed out, however, that Microsoft's OEM license
>>> forbids the software from being transferred to a whole new machine, from
>>> scratch, once it is installed on the original target machine."
>>>
>>> This implies to me that a motherboard swap is within the EULA.
>>>

>>> --
>>> ___________________________
>>> http://www.db-pc.com

David B.

Re: Vista Ultimate OEM
That quote is not from a Microsoft rep, they just quoted some unidentified
system builder, that's his opinion, not the facts.

> Read your own link
>
> "It's important that people understand the OEM EULA when it says that your
> OEM Vista (XP is the same) can not be transferred to a new computer, and a
> new (upgraded) motherboard is also considered a new computer,"
>

> "David B." <brooks.dj@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> The same terms apply to XP OEM, but you can still get it reactivated
>> without a problem after replacing a mobo, I've done it many times. I
>> would disagree that mobo swaps are considered a new computer, read the
>> link I provided, they are referring to the OEM version.
>>
>> "John Barnes" <jbarnes@email.net> wrote in message
>>> Mobo swaps have been considered a new computer. Carey is correct.
>>> Remember the OEM is also subject to the system builder license.

John Barnes

Re: Vista Ultimate OEM
It is Microsoft's policy. It has been in the System Builders area for
several years.

> That quote is not from a Microsoft rep, they just quoted some unidentified
> system builder, that's his opinion, not the facts.
>
> "John Barnes" <jbarnes@email.net> wrote in message
>> Read your own link
>>
>> "It's important that people understand the OEM EULA when it says that
>> your OEM Vista (XP is the same) can not be transferred to a new computer,
>> and a new (upgraded) motherboard is also considered a new computer,"
>>

>> "David B." <brooks.dj@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> The same terms apply to XP OEM, but you can still get it reactivated
>>> without a problem after replacing a mobo, I've done it many times. I
>>> would disagree that mobo swaps are considered a new computer, read the
>>> link I provided, they are referring to the OEM version.

Dave B.

Re: Vista Ultimate OEM
Whether it is the actual policy or not, it has always been allowed.

http://www.db-pc.com