Outlook not saving passwords after Vista upgrade

Carmine Castiglia

Outlook not saving passwords after Vista upgrade
After installing the Vista Ultimate upgrade on an XP Pro/SP2 system, I find
that Outlook 2002/SP2 will no longer store mail account passwords. I enter
passwords and ensure that the "Save password" box is checked, however the
next time Outlook is started the passwords are gone and I must repeat the
entire procedure.

Ideas?

news.microsoft.com

Re: Outlook not saving passwords after Vista upgrade
Still no luck here...

I have tried deleting the Protected Storage System Provider Key as described
in http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290684/en-us without success. No matter
what I do, I get an "Error while deleting key". It seems I am unable to
take ownership of the key.

"Carmine Castiglia" <ccastiglia@engsint.com> wrote in message
> After installing the Vista Ultimate upgrade on an XP Pro/SP2 system, I
> find that Outlook 2002/SP2 will no longer store mail account passwords. I
> enter passwords and ensure that the "Save password" box is checked,
> however the next time Outlook is started the passwords are gone and I must
> repeat the entire procedure.
>
> Ideas?

Diamontina Cocktail

Re: Outlook not saving passwords after Vista upgrade
I wouldnt worry. I actually installed Outlook 2002 on my XP laptop, saved
the registry keys and compared them to Vista. When I did that I found Vista
was correct but I also found that my username and Administrators were 2
different things that could be owners and my name wasnt THE owner. I changed
that and took ownership and still nothing. I rebooted, did what was
necessary etc.

What I think may be the case - and I really am guessing here if one of you
experts who do know reads this - is that Vista stores passwords differently
and we need to find out how to fix this. The alternative which is probably
going to happen eventually is that Microsoft will release a patch to fix
this problem.