Vista Ultimate x86 or x64 will not install to SATA drives - ok to IDE

BobS

Vista Ultimate x86 or x64 will not install to SATA drives - ok to IDE
Subject line states the problem and before anyone suggests that I need to
install the SATA drivers during the install process - I have. Have tried
both the 32 and 64 bit drivers.

Hardware:

Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe motherboard
AMD Athalon X2
2Gb memory
WDC Raptor 74Gb 10Krpm drives on SATA (x2)
Seagate EIDE drives (x2)
GeForce 6800 graphic cards (x2)

During install, Vista does install to the SATA drive but when it goes to
first boot, it reboots then comes up to a black screen - no error messages.
I believe Vista is not recognizing the SATA drives (Sil 3132 SATA controller
on Asus mb) even though the drivers were loaded during the install process.

Have tried both the 32 and 64 bit Vista installs using the correct SATA
drivers and even without installing the SATA drivers during the install
process, I get the same result.

Now I'm thinking it's Vista not recognizing the SATA drives because if I
load Vista to a standard EIDE drive - it works just fine. When I look at
the system, Vista does not see the SATA drives until after you do the first
update and it does download a Sil 3132 update. Then it finds all the SATA
drives.

So even though the drivers are loaded up-front, Vista doesn't appear to
"retain" them. I've done numerous clean installs and dual boot scenarios
and it's the same story - blank screen after first reboot, no error
messages. I've reformatted the drive used to install Vista after each
attempt.

I've checked all the manf sites for info and I haven't read about anyone
else here not being able to load to SATA drives.

One thing I haven't tried is pulling an ATI TV tuner card I have installed.
I would think it would just come up as an unknown device and press on, but
then again.

Any suggestions short of booting this thing into next week........;-)

Thanks,

Bob S.

=?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=

RE: Vista Ultimate x86 or x64 will not install to SATA drives - ok to
Unplug the two EIDE drives until you are done with the installation.
Plug them later on.
I could not get Vista to install (ASUS A8N-SLI) on my two SATA raid0 disks
because of the presence of a third SATA (non raid disk).
I experimented your very same problems on reboot.
Unplugged the SATA disk, proceeded with install, plugged the SATA disk.
Carlos

"BobS" wrote:

> Subject line states the problem and before anyone suggests that I need to
> install the SATA drivers during the install process - I have. Have tried
> both the 32 and 64 bit drivers.
>
> Hardware:
>
> Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe motherboard
> AMD Athalon X2
> 2Gb memory
> WDC Raptor 74Gb 10Krpm drives on SATA (x2)
> Seagate EIDE drives (x2)
> GeForce 6800 graphic cards (x2)
>
> During install, Vista does install to the SATA drive but when it goes to
> first boot, it reboots then comes up to a black screen - no error messages.
> I believe Vista is not recognizing the SATA drives (Sil 3132 SATA controller
> on Asus mb) even though the drivers were loaded during the install process.
>
> Have tried both the 32 and 64 bit Vista installs using the correct SATA
> drivers and even without installing the SATA drivers during the install
> process, I get the same result.
>
> Now I'm thinking it's Vista not recognizing the SATA drives because if I
> load Vista to a standard EIDE drive - it works just fine. When I look at
> the system, Vista does not see the SATA drives until after you do the first
> update and it does download a Sil 3132 update. Then it finds all the SATA
> drives.
>
> So even though the drivers are loaded up-front, Vista doesn't appear to
> "retain" them. I've done numerous clean installs and dual boot scenarios
> and it's the same story - blank screen after first reboot, no error
> messages. I've reformatted the drive used to install Vista after each
> attempt.
>
> I've checked all the manf sites for info and I haven't read about anyone
> else here not being able to load to SATA drives.
>
> One thing I haven't tried is pulling an ATI TV tuner card I have installed.
> I would think it would just come up as an unknown device and press on, but
> then again.
>
> Any suggestions short of booting this thing into next week........;-)
>
> Thanks,
>
> Bob S.

BobS

Re: Vista Ultimate x86 or x64 will not install to SATA drives - ok to
Carlos,

Good idea and I'll try that shortly. Funny thing is WinXP Pro can be
installed to a SATA drive - no problem....

I'll do a follow-up post.

Thanks,

Bob S.

"Carlos" <Carlos@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Unplug the two EIDE drives until you are done with the installation.
> Plug them later on.
> I could not get Vista to install (ASUS A8N-SLI) on my two SATA raid0 disks
> because of the presence of a third SATA (non raid disk).
> I experimented your very same problems on reboot.
> Unplugged the SATA disk, proceeded with install, plugged the SATA disk.
> Carlos
>
> "BobS" wrote:
>
>> Subject line states the problem and before anyone suggests that I need to
>> install the SATA drivers during the install process - I have. Have tried
>> both the 32 and 64 bit drivers.
>>
>> Hardware:
>>
>> Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe motherboard
>> AMD Athalon X2
>> 2Gb memory
>> WDC Raptor 74Gb 10Krpm drives on SATA (x2)
>> Seagate EIDE drives (x2)
>> GeForce 6800 graphic cards (x2)
>>
>> During install, Vista does install to the SATA drive but when it goes to
>> first boot, it reboots then comes up to a black screen - no error
>> messages.
>> I believe Vista is not recognizing the SATA drives (Sil 3132 SATA
>> controller
>> on Asus mb) even though the drivers were loaded during the install
>> process.
>>
>> Have tried both the 32 and 64 bit Vista installs using the correct SATA
>> drivers and even without installing the SATA drivers during the install
>> process, I get the same result.
>>
>> Now I'm thinking it's Vista not recognizing the SATA drives because if I
>> load Vista to a standard EIDE drive - it works just fine. When I look at
>> the system, Vista does not see the SATA drives until after you do the
>> first
>> update and it does download a Sil 3132 update. Then it finds all the SATA
>> drives.
>>
>> So even though the drivers are loaded up-front, Vista doesn't appear to
>> "retain" them. I've done numerous clean installs and dual boot scenarios
>> and it's the same story - blank screen after first reboot, no error
>> messages. I've reformatted the drive used to install Vista after each
>> attempt.
>>
>> I've checked all the manf sites for info and I haven't read about anyone
>> else here not being able to load to SATA drives.
>>
>> One thing I haven't tried is pulling an ATI TV tuner card I have
>> installed.
>> I would think it would just come up as an unknown device and press on,
>> but
>> then again.
>>
>> Any suggestions short of booting this thing into next week........;-)
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Bob S.

Dale Mad_Murdock White

Re: Vista Ultimate x86 or x64 will not install to SATA drives - ok to

Actually, I had the same problem. I had 1 EIDE drive and the rest were SATA,
but Vista would never install. Turns out, I had the same problem when I
re-install XP with SP2 integrated. In both cases, unplugging the 1 IDE drive
worked fine.

On a side note, I did have 2 IDE drives that went through a Promise Fast
track 2000 card, and those did not cause the problem. Just the 1 drive on
the MoBo's EIDE controler

"BobS" <no-spam@noplace.com> wrote in message
> [...]
>>> SATA
>>> drives.
>>>
>>> So even though the drivers are loaded up-front, Vista doesn't appear to
>>> "retain" them. I've done numerous clean installs and dual boot
>>> scenarios
>>> and it's the same story - blank screen after first reboot, no error
>>> messages. I've reformatted the drive used to install Vista after each
>>> attempt.
>>>
>>> I've checked all the manf sites for info and I haven't read about anyone
>>> else here not being able to load to SATA drives.
>>>
>>> One thing I haven't tried is pulling an ATI TV tuner card I have
>>> installed.
>>> I would think it would just come up as an unknown device and press on,
>>> but
>>> then again.
>>>
>>> Any suggestions short of booting this thing into next week........;-)

BobS

Follow-up - Re: Vista Ultimate x86 or x64 will not install to SATA drives - ok to

"Dale Mad_Murdock White" <dale.white@NOinsightbb.NOcom> wrote in message
news:S7CdnWD4ObtpGl7YnZ2dnUVZ_uyknZ2d@insightbb.co m...

> Actually, I had the same problem. I had 1 EIDE drive and the rest were
> SATA, but Vista would never install. Turns out, I had the same problem
> when I re-install XP with SP2 integrated. In both cases, unplugging the 1
> IDE drive worked fine.
>
> On a side note, I did have 2 IDE drives that went through a Promise Fast
> track 2000 card, and those did not cause the problem. Just the 1 drive on
> the MoBo's EIDE controler
>
> "BobS" <no-spam@noplace.com> wrote in message
>> Carlos,
>>
>> Good idea and I'll try that shortly. Funny thing is WinXP Pro can be
>> installed to a SATA drive - no problem....
>>
>> I'll do a follow-up post.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Bob S.
>>

>> "Carlos" <Carlos@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> Unplug the two EIDE drives until you are done with the installation.
>>> Plug them later on.
>>> I could not get Vista to install (ASUS A8N-SLI) on my two SATA raid0
>>> disks
>>> because of the presence of a third SATA (non raid disk).
>>> I experimented your very same problems on reboot.
>>> Unplugged the SATA disk, proceeded with install, plugged the SATA disk.
>>> Carlos

Well I'm at a loss as to why I can't get Vista to run on a SATA drive. Had
the system minimized down to only 2 SATA drives, one with WinXP Pro on it,
the other for Vista. Goes thru all the motions (no error codes) and says it
completed the install then reboots - and black screen after that.

Turned everything off in the BIOS that I could (and still run) disconnected
cables and power from the other drives, have the latest Asus BIOS (1303),
latest Sil 3132 SATA drivers for both 32/64 bit versions and it loads them
in fine. Obviously Vista installer can work with the SATA drives since
that's all that was connected besides the DVD drive.

Reconfiguring the system and I'll reload Vista 64 on a spare EIDE drive
(dual-boot) so I can get it up and running so I can start checking what
programs will or will not run. Anyone got the MS phone number handy? I'm
sure there's about a 2 hour hold (minimum).......

Thanks for your suggestions,

Bob S.

=?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=

RE: Follow-up - Re: Vista Ultimate x86 or x64 will not install to SATA
BobS:
Try this:
http://www.nforcershq.com/forum/1-vt66299.html?start=0
Carlos

"BobS" wrote:

> "Dale Mad_Murdock White" <dale.white@NOinsightbb.NOcom> wrote in message
> news:S7CdnWD4ObtpGl7YnZ2dnUVZ_uyknZ2d@insightbb.co m...
> >
> > Actually, I had the same problem. I had 1 EIDE drive and the rest were
> > SATA, but Vista would never install. Turns out, I had the same problem
> > when I re-install XP with SP2 integrated. In both cases, unplugging the 1
> > IDE drive worked fine.
> >
> > On a side note, I did have 2 IDE drives that went through a Promise Fast
> > track 2000 card, and those did not cause the problem. Just the 1 drive on
> > the MoBo's EIDE controler
> >
> > "BobS" <no-spam@noplace.com> wrote in message
> >> Carlos,
> >>
> >> Good idea and I'll try that shortly. Funny thing is WinXP Pro can be
> >> installed to a SATA drive - no problem....
> >>
> >> I'll do a follow-up post.
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >>
> >> Bob S.
> >>

> >> "Carlos" <Carlos@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> Well I'm at a loss as to why I can't get Vista to run on a SATA drive. Had
> the system minimized down to only 2 SATA drives, one with WinXP Pro on it,
> the other for Vista. Goes thru all the motions (no error codes) and says it
> completed the install then reboots - and black screen after that.
>
> Turned everything off in the BIOS that I could (and still run) disconnected
> cables and power from the other drives, have the latest Asus BIOS (1303),
> latest Sil 3132 SATA drivers for both 32/64 bit versions and it loads them
> in fine. Obviously Vista installer can work with the SATA drives since
> that's all that was connected besides the DVD drive.
>
> Reconfiguring the system and I'll reload Vista 64 on a spare EIDE drive
> (dual-boot) so I can get it up and running so I can start checking what
> programs will or will not run. Anyone got the MS phone number handy? I'm
> sure there's about a 2 hour hold (minimum).......
>
> Thanks for your suggestions,
>
> Bob S.

Dale M. White

Re: Follow-up - Re: Vista Ultimate x86 or x64 will not install to SATA drives - ok to
Well, your problem is definately something else. Mine was at teh Pick a
drive to isntall screen. No matter what drive I picked, it would tell me
that drive was not acceptable to Vista. XP would just hang at the drive
options.

> Well I'm at a loss as to why I can't get Vista to run on a SATA drive.
> Had the system minimized down to only 2 SATA drives, one with WinXP Pro on
> it, the other for Vista. Goes thru all the motions (no error codes) and
> says it completed the install then reboots - and black screen after that.
>
> Turned everything off in the BIOS that I could (and still run)
> disconnected cables and power from the other drives, have the latest Asus
> BIOS (1303), latest Sil 3132 SATA drivers for both 32/64 bit versions and
> it loads them in fine. Obviously Vista installer can work with the SATA
> drives since that's all that was connected besides the DVD drive.
>
> Reconfiguring the system and I'll reload Vista 64 on a spare EIDE drive
> (dual-boot) so I can get it up and running so I can start checking what
> programs will or will not run. Anyone got the MS phone number handy? I'm
> sure there's about a 2 hour hold (minimum).......
>
> Thanks for your suggestions,
>
> Bob S.

BobS

> BobS:
> Try this:
> http://www.nforcershq.com/forum/1-vt66299.html?start=0
> Carlos
>
> "BobS" wrote:
>

>> "Dale Mad_Murdock White" <dale.white@NOinsightbb.NOcom> wrote in message
>> news:S7CdnWD4ObtpGl7YnZ2dnUVZ_uyknZ2d@insightbb.co m...
>> >
>> > Actually, I had the same problem. I had 1 EIDE drive and the rest were
>> > SATA, but Vista would never install. Turns out, I had the same problem
>> > when I re-install XP with SP2 integrated. In both cases, unplugging the
>> > 1
>> > IDE drive worked fine.
>> >
>> > On a side note, I did have 2 IDE drives that went through a Promise
>> > Fast
>> > track 2000 card, and those did not cause the problem. Just the 1 drive
>> > on
>> > the MoBo's EIDE controler
>> >
>> > "BobS" <no-spam@noplace.com> wrote in message

>> Well I'm at a loss as to why I can't get Vista to run on a SATA drive.
>> Had
>> the system minimized down to only 2 SATA drives, one with WinXP Pro on
>> it,
>> the other for Vista. Goes thru all the motions (no error codes) and says
>> it
>> completed the install then reboots - and black screen after that.
>>
>> Turned everything off in the BIOS that I could (and still run)
>> disconnected
>> cables and power from the other drives, have the latest Asus BIOS (1303),
>> latest Sil 3132 SATA drivers for both 32/64 bit versions and it loads
>> them
>> in fine. Obviously Vista installer can work with the SATA drives since
>> that's all that was connected besides the DVD drive.
>>
>> Reconfiguring the system and I'll reload Vista 64 on a spare EIDE drive
>> (dual-boot) so I can get it up and running so I can start checking what
>> programs will or will not run. Anyone got the MS phone number handy?
>> I'm
>> sure there's about a 2 hour hold (minimum).......
>>
>> Thanks for your suggestions,
>>
>> Bob S.

Carlos,

That is an interesting find and I'll give it a go - latter. Right now the
system is in the final throws of loading the x64 version onto an EIDE drive.
Sure has been a couple of long days with Vista but I've learned quite a bit.
I'm sure there will be some more patches and updates from all the vendors
just to make it even more interesting.I think I have tried just about every
variation/combination that there is. Even made Vista backup recovery
images - works fine.

Oh boy.....the message..."please wait while windows prepares to start for
the first time" just popped up on the other system - we now have "completing
upgrade" and we now have a bit of a wait....

This works fine on the EIDE so for now we're gonna be up and running Vista
x64 even though it's not on one of the Raptor drives.

Now if you can just find me a little magic SATA dust to sprinkle on this box
we'll be in business. Thank you for your help it is greatly appreciated. I
think you nailed the problem I suspected but couldn't prove.

Bob S.

Hugh Wyn Griffith

Re: Follow-up - Vista Ultimate x86 or x64 will not install to SATA drives - ok to
In article <HNCdnZNbhKLIWl7YnZ2dnUVZ_oytnZ2d@insightbb.com> , Dale M.
White wrote:
> No matter what drive I picked, it would tell me*
> that drive was not acceptable to Vista

They weren't FAT32 were they?

=?Utf-8?B?Y2hpbm9sYW0=?=

Re: Follow-up - Re: Vista Ultimate x86 or x64 will not install to
Bob, I have the same problem you did with black screen.
When you successfully installed Vista on the EIDE, did you install through
XP or as a bootup?

I know if I try to do the bootup, it has "loading Windows Files" and
progress bar then goes to black screen on any single drive (EIDE or SATA)
hooked up. Only furthest was installing in XP, then it rebooted and went to
black after the dual boot menu. Black for both trying to boot to XP and
Vista.

Wanted to know if you got it to work only installing on EIDE through XP,
before I waste another couple of hours clearing out an old drive.
Thanks.