what happened to windows explorer?

Steve Richter

what happened to windows explorer?
How do I find, let alone navigate to my c: drive directories in
windows explorer?

thanks,

nospam@fastmail.net

Re: what happened to windows explorer?
Yea, I HATE the new windows explorer. What I did was, in the lefthand
list drag "Computer"(might be "My Computer", but not on Vista at the
moment), from the bottom to the top, which is you favorites. This way
it's always at the top of the lefthand list. When I click on it, it
will list each drive letter and I can get to all my drives that way.
The dropdown list, which in XP used to show all y drives, no longer
does and this is where I get annoyed.

On Feb 2, 4:26 am, "Steve Richter" <StephenRich...@gmail.com> wrote:
> How do I find, let alone navigate to my c: drive directories in
> windows explorer?
>
> thanks,

Bob

Re: what happened to windows explorer?
I've never used Explorer on my computers since Win 95. I use a utility
called Power Desk , which was originally distributed by Ontrack, which is
highly configurable and makes it very easy to navigate your drives for file
management. I've been hoping MS would design a newer version of Explorer
that is as useful but looks like it's not going to happen.
Bob

<nospam@fastmail.net> wrote in message
news:1170432168.598250.63650@s48g2000cws.googlegro ups.com...
> Yea, I HATE the new windows explorer. What I did was, in the lefthand
> list drag "Computer"(might be "My Computer", but not on Vista at the
> moment), from the bottom to the top, which is you favorites. This way
> it's always at the top of the lefthand list. When I click on it, it
> will list each drive letter and I can get to all my drives that way.
> The dropdown list, which in XP used to show all y drives, no longer
> does and this is where I get annoyed.
>
> On Feb 2, 4:26 am, "Steve Richter" <StephenRich...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> How do I find, let alone navigate to my c: drive directories in
>> windows explorer?
>>
>> thanks,

JW

Re: what happened to windows explorer?
You can find the Icon for Windows Explorer at Start/All
Programs/Accessories.
If you use your right mouse button to copy the Icon to your desktop and then
right click on it and select properties you can change the shortcut to

%SystemRoot%\explorer.exe /e, C:\

by adding the /e, C:\
and this will cause it to start up windows explorer with your C drive
directory open

"Steve Richter" <StephenRichter@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1170408369.745464.156670@a75g2000cwd.googlegr oups.com...
> How do I find, let alone navigate to my c: drive directories in
> windows explorer?
>
> thanks,

Jij

Re: what happened to windows explorer?
WIN+E

i just love it

"Steve Richter" <StephenRichter@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1170408369.745464.156670@a75g2000cwd.googlegr oups.com...
> How do I find, let alone navigate to my c: drive directories in
> windows explorer?
>
> thanks,

MICHAEL

Re: what happened to windows explorer?
Many users don't know anything about basic keyboard shortcuts.

Here's some knowledge to soak in.

http://www.seoconsultants.com/windows/keyboard/

"Jij" <xx@xx.xx> wrote in message news:2ePwh.198$_d4.167@trndny05...
> WIN+E
>
> i just love it
>
> "Steve Richter" <StephenRichter@gmail.com> wrote in message
> news:1170408369.745464.156670@a75g2000cwd.googlegr oups.com...
>> How do I find, let alone navigate to my c: drive directories in
>> windows explorer?
>>
>> thanks,

Hugh Wyn Griffith

Re: what happened to windows explorer?
Do a HELP search on [keyboard shortcuts] and expand and print the
result!

Hosts of useful ones

-- WINKEY + Pause >> System Information

-- WINKKEY / U >> shutdown choices so that

WINKEY / U / R / ENTER >> restart your computer

Note that + means hold down both at the same time; / means sequentially

Steve Richter

On Feb 2, 5:49 pm, "Jij" <x...@xx.xx> wrote:
> WIN+E
>
> i just love it

that is good. and explorer itself if fine.

I posted too soon because I was having a lot of problems after my
Vista install due to an out of control background service related to
my SATA RAID protection that was using all the CPU. And disabling
windows protector helped a lot also

-Steve

Hask

Re: what happened to windows explorer?

I use Power Desk too, much better than Explorer. Does it work with Vista?

Hask

Bob wrote:
> I've never used Explorer on my computers since Win 95. I use a utility
> called Power Desk , which was originally distributed by Ontrack, which is
> highly configurable and makes it very easy to navigate your drives for file
> management. I've been hoping MS would design a newer version of Explorer
> that is as useful but looks like it's not going to happen.
> Bob
>

> <nospam@fastmail.net> wrote in message
> news:1170432168.598250.63650@s48g2000cws.googlegro ups.com...
>> Yea, I HATE the new windows explorer. What I did was, in the lefthand
>> list drag "Computer"(might be "My Computer", but not on Vista at the
>> moment), from the bottom to the top, which is you favorites. This way
>> it's always at the top of the lefthand list. When I click on it, it
>> will list each drive letter and I can get to all my drives that way.
>> The dropdown list, which in XP used to show all y drives, no longer
>> does and this is where I get annoyed.
>>
>> On Feb 2, 4:26 am, "Steve Richter" <StephenRich...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> How do I find, let alone navigate to my c: drive directories in
>>> windows explorer?
>>>
>>> thanks,

Bob

Re: what happened to windows explorer?
So far so good...I'm only using version 5 ( there is a 6 now) and it works
like it always has which surprised me. It's been through several different
software companies, I think Mijenix was first, then OnTrack and now a
company called V-Comm.
http://www.v-com.com/company/comp_ontrack.html
There still is a free version available
http://www.v-com.com/product/PowerDesk_free.htmlIt

If I remember correctly the free version does most of what the regular
version does and well worth trying out.
Bob