Network not set up by install

David Anson

Network not set up by install
Installing Business for OEM. Previous check that it would take Vista was
OK.

During setup it detects a network device and asks me to select a security
setting - I have tried both Work and Home (after a re-install!).

However when Vista finally fires up it tells me it cannot find a network.
Looking in Device Manager shows that the network driver has been correctly
and successfully installed.

When I run diagnostics it says that no wireless network adapter is installed
and configured - which is true but ignores the fact that a wired adapter is
installed and configured.

Any ideas where I am going wrong? Why is it just looking for a wireless
adaptor? How do I cahnge it to look for a wired one?

TIA

David Anson

=?Utf-8?B?cm9kYg==?=

RE: Network not set up by install

"David Anson" wrote:

> Installing Business for OEM. Previous check that it would take Vista was
> OK.
>
> During setup it detects a network device and asks me to select a security
> setting - I have tried both Work and Home (after a re-install!).
>
> However when Vista finally fires up it tells me it cannot find a network.
> Looking in Device Manager shows that the network driver has been correctly
> and successfully installed.
>
> When I run diagnostics it says that no wireless network adapter is installed
> and configured - which is true but ignores the fact that a wired adapter is
> installed and configured.
>
> Any ideas where I am going wrong? Why is it just looking for a wireless
> adaptor? How do I cahnge it to look for a wired one?
>
> TIA
>
> David Anson
>

> I have a similar problem, Vista installs a MS driver for my NIC but I cannot browse the network.

Following a clean install, NIC looks all right in device manager, but I
cannot get to the network or my server. But, during bootup Vista DOES get to
my server (DHCP) and gets an address, gateway address etc!

If I reload the driver from the motherboard drivers disk, (an XP driver) I
can get to the network until I reboot the PC.

SO it seems to be a driver problem. Nothing on the Gigabyte website for the
NIC either, which is a Realtek 8211 running at a gig.

I will chase up MS in a few days if I cannot find any help elsewhere, but I
have not found anyone yet with the same problem. The motherboard works well
under XP so I dont believe its a hardware issue.

Motherboard is a gigabyte GA-M61PM-S2, version 1. Does anyone have this
motherboard working OK under Vista??

=?Utf-8?B?RWQgU3RvZGRhcmQ=?=

"rodb" wrote:

> "David Anson" wrote:
>
> > Installing Business for OEM. Previous check that it would take Vista was
> > OK.
> >
> > During setup it detects a network device and asks me to select a security
> > setting - I have tried both Work and Home (after a re-install!).
> >
> > However when Vista finally fires up it tells me it cannot find a network.
> > Looking in Device Manager shows that the network driver has been correctly
> > and successfully installed.
> >
> > When I run diagnostics it says that no wireless network adapter is installed
> > and configured - which is true but ignores the fact that a wired adapter is
> > installed and configured.
> >
> > Any ideas where I am going wrong? Why is it just looking for a wireless
> > adaptor? How do I cahnge it to look for a wired one?
> >
> > TIA
> >
> > David Anson
> >

> > I have a similar problem, Vista installs a MS driver for my NIC but I cannot browse the network.

> Following a clean install, NIC looks all right in device manager, but I
> cannot get to the network or my server. But, during bootup Vista DOES get to
> my server (DHCP) and gets an address, gateway address etc!
>
> If I reload the driver from the motherboard drivers disk, (an XP driver) I
> can get to the network until I reboot the PC.
>
> SO it seems to be a driver problem. Nothing on the Gigabyte website for the
> NIC either, which is a Realtek 8211 running at a gig.
>
> I will chase up MS in a few days if I cannot find any help elsewhere, but I
> have not found anyone yet with the same problem. The motherboard works well
> under XP so I dont believe its a hardware issue.
>
> Motherboard is a gigabyte GA-M61PM-S2, version 1. Does anyone have this
> motherboard working OK under Vista??

Could it be a simple as turning your firewall off? I had no cable Internet
connection until I turned my WindowsLive OneCare firewall OFF. Now I have to
figure out how to set Microsoft's firewall to allow my broadband connection
when it is on!

Anyone know, please help. Thanks
David Anson

Re: Network not set up by install
My NIC is an Nvidia nForce networking controller running version 6.2.0.126
of the driver which was apparently authored by Microsoft. If I go to the
Nvidia website I can find version 5.04 from July 2005 which was an alpha
driver for use with Vista Beta 1.

I tried updating the driver but understandably it refused to do so. I
therefore started to uninstal the driver - 2 hours have so far elapsed and
it is still trying to do it.........

David

"rodb" <rodb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news63E04AE-6E9D-4F3B-9072-518177B8CB15@microsoft.com...

> "David Anson" wrote:
>
>> Installing Business for OEM. Previous check that it would take Vista was
>> OK.
>>
>> During setup it detects a network device and asks me to select a security
>> setting - I have tried both Work and Home (after a re-install!).
>>
>> However when Vista finally fires up it tells me it cannot find a network.
>> Looking in Device Manager shows that the network driver has been
>> correctly
>> and successfully installed.
>>
>> When I run diagnostics it says that no wireless network adapter is
>> installed
>> and configured - which is true but ignores the fact that a wired adapter
>> is
>> installed and configured.
>>
>> Any ideas where I am going wrong? Why is it just looking for a wireless
>> adaptor? How do I cahnge it to look for a wired one?
>>
>> TIA
>>
>> David Anson
>>

>> I have a similar problem, Vista installs a MS driver for my NIC but I
>> cannot browse the network.

> Following a clean install, NIC looks all right in device manager, but I
> cannot get to the network or my server. But, during bootup Vista DOES get
> my server (DHCP) and gets an address, gateway address etc!
>
> If I reload the driver from the motherboard drivers disk, (an XP driver) I
> can get to the network until I reboot the PC.
>
> SO it seems to be a driver problem. Nothing on the Gigabyte website for
> the
> NIC either, which is a Realtek 8211 running at a gig.
>
> I will chase up MS in a few days if I cannot find any help elsewhere, but
> have not found anyone yet with the same problem. The motherboard works
> well
> under XP so I dont believe its a hardware issue.
>
> Motherboard is a gigabyte GA-M61PM-S2, version 1. Does anyone have this
> motherboard working OK under Vista??

=?Utf-8?B?cm9kYg==?=

Re: Network not set up by install
I have just tried turning off the firewall, no difference unfortunately.
I will try to go back to an earlier driver (beta ) driver.

Regards

David Anson

Re: Network not set up by install
I tried the same. No result.

>I have just tried turning off the firewall, no difference unfortunately.
> I will try to go back to an earlier driver (beta ) driver.
>
> Regards

=?Utf-8?B?cm9kYg==?=

Re: Network not set up by install

Problem solved!!! Nvidia have just released Vista drivers for Nforce 4. It
solves my problem.

Knew it was a driver issue.......

Regards
=?Utf-8?B?V2lsbGlhbSBCaWVzdHk=?=

RE: Network not set up by install
I also clean installed Vista Business OEM and my Belkin Wireless NIC was not
configured. However, when I tried to connect to the wireless network, like
magic I was connected. Maybe try to just connect?

Why Vista finds and configres my Deskjet printer after install but not the
wireless NIC I can only ponder. (But not too long!)
--
--William