Dual Boot Problem

=?Utf-8?B?bXdhbHNo?=

Dual Boot Problem
I am currently dual booting with XP on my C: drive and Vista on a V:
partition. How can I delete the C: partition and make Vista the entire drive,
adn then change the letter to C? No program will let me do this.
Jane C

Re: Dual Boot Problem
You can't. Your C partition is your Boot and System partition.

--
Jane, not plain 64 bit enabled :-)
"mwalsh" <mwalsh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am currently dual booting with XP on my C: drive and Vista on a V:
> partition. How can I delete the C: partition and make Vista the entire
> drive,
> adn then change the letter to C? No program will let me do this.

nospam@fastmail.net

Re: Dual Boot Problem
Actually you can IF you can rearrange your boot drive, within your
bios. In my motherboards's bios, I can specifically set which driv is
the boot drive. Whichever one I set, becomes the C: drive. In your
system's bios, if you can make the harddrive that is V: as your boot
drive, it will work. The only issue is it may not boot, since the boot
menu is on your current C:. I'm not sure if the Vista drive will be
bootable. You may need to do a Repair on the drive, to get it to boot.

On Feb 2, 1:00 am, "Jane C" <jellyb...@NOSPAMxjgarage.org> wrote:
> You can't. Your C partition is your Boot and System partition.
>
> --
> Jane, not plain 64 bit enabled :-)
> Batteries not included. Braincell on vacation ;-)"mwalsh" <mwa...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> >I am currently dual booting with XP on my C: drive and Vista on a V:
> > partition. How can I delete the C: partition and make Vista the entire
> > drive,
> > adn then change the letter to C? No program will let me do this.- Hide quoted text -

=?Utf-8?B?UmljaGFyZFJ1ZGVr?=

RE: Dual Boot Problem

"mwalsh" wrote:

> I am currently dual booting with XP on my C: drive and Vista on a V:
> partition. How can I delete the C: partition and make Vista the entire drive,
> adn then change the letter to C? No program will let me do this.

I can't give you simple answer, as there are too many possibilities for
that. eg what type of partition is V: currently - a Basic Disk, a Dynamic
disk ?

Check out a recent thread on MSDN Channel9 in which I participated:
http://channel9.msdn.com/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=279788

PS: This is my first time on this forum, and I'm unlikely to continue here.
But I do use the Channel9 forums, regularly...
Ron Miller

Re: Dual Boot Problem
RichardRudek wrote:

> "mwalsh" wrote:
>
>> I am currently dual booting with XP on my C: drive and Vista on a V:
>> partition. How can I delete the C: partition and make Vista the entire drive,
>> adn then change the letter to C? No program will let me do this.

> I can't give you simple answer, as there are too many possibilities for
> that. eg what type of partition is V: currently - a Basic Disk, a Dynamic
> disk ?
>
> Check out a recent thread on MSDN Channel9 in which I participated:
> http://channel9.msdn.com/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=279788
>
> PS: This is my first time on this forum, and I'm unlikely to continue here.
> But I do use the Channel9 forums, regularly...

Even if you could get rid of C: (which is difficult because that's where
both XP's and Vista's boot managers reside), you could not change the V:
drive to C: because Vista's Registry is already chock full of references
to V:. For example, %Windir% is V:\Windows, so if you change V: to C:,
the Vista operating system will have no idea where to look for its own
system files.

If you're serious about needing and wanting Vista to be the only OS and
to be located on C:, you should consider reinstalling Vista on the C: drive.