No Clean Installs on Upgrade? Way to P*ss People Off, MS!

=?Utf-8?B?UFY=?=

No Clean Installs on Upgrade? Way to P*ss People Off, MS!
Hey, Microsoft! Ya know, those of us that actually BUY a legit DVD and key
for Ultimate Upgrade, spending $250 in the process, should have the option of
doing a clean format and install of Vista. Instead, you give your loyal
customers endless hours of aggravation by not publicizing this little fact
and keeping it your dirty secret.

I was using the opportunity to switch to a RAID setup from a single hard
drive (which had a legit and paid for XP installed)....so I backed up to
another drive....reformatted to RAID.....installed Vista.....went to enter my
legit and paid for key.....to be told even though I had just installed the
system and had a legit key I needed to upgrade from another version of
Windows.

Which meant reformatting again, reinstalling XP, then "upgrading" to Vista
afterwards.

So tell me....does this little "upgrade" get rid of rootkit viruses that
could be lurking on your customers' drives? I think not, since reformatting
isn't part of the "upgrade". For a lot of us, a large part of installing a
new OS is being able to start CLEAN.

When people spend $250 on a piece of software, THEY SHOULD BE ABLE TO
INSTALL IT THE WAY THEY WANT.

It shouldn't be easier to steal and do a clean install with a hacked Vista
than it is to buy a legit Upgrade copy in a store. It's stuff like this that
causes people to regret buying a legit copy and encourages the use of free
hacked versions. I feel ripped off. I thought you should know, even though
I know you don't care.
MICHAEL

Re: No Clean Installs on Upgrade? Way to P*ss People Off, MS!
You can do a clean install. And, something I just learned,
you could have created any empty partition and directed the
the install there. Microsoft may have not intended it that way,
but it can be done. You could have later formatted your XP
partition, or, keep your XP partition. I know Microsoft doesn't
like that, but it can be done.

-Michael

"PV" <PV@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hey, Microsoft! Ya know, those of us that actually BUY a legit DVD and key
> for Ultimate Upgrade, spending $250 in the process, should have the option of
> doing a clean format and install of Vista. Instead, you give your loyal
> customers endless hours of aggravation by not publicizing this little fact
> and keeping it your dirty secret.
>
> I was using the opportunity to switch to a RAID setup from a single hard
> drive (which had a legit and paid for XP installed)....so I backed up to
> another drive....reformatted to RAID.....installed Vista.....went to enter my
> legit and paid for key.....to be told even though I had just installed the
> system and had a legit key I needed to upgrade from another version of
> Windows.
>
> Which meant reformatting again, reinstalling XP, then "upgrading" to Vista
> afterwards.
>
> So tell me....does this little "upgrade" get rid of rootkit viruses that
> could be lurking on your customers' drives? I think not, since reformatting
> isn't part of the "upgrade". For a lot of us, a large part of installing a
> new OS is being able to start CLEAN.
>
> When people spend $250 on a piece of software, THEY SHOULD BE ABLE TO
> INSTALL IT THE WAY THEY WANT.
>
> It shouldn't be easier to steal and do a clean install with a hacked Vista
> than it is to buy a legit Upgrade copy in a store. It's stuff like this that
> causes people to regret buying a legit copy and encourages the use of free
> hacked versions. I feel ripped off. I thought you should know, even though
> I know you don't care.

=?Utf-8?B?RnJlZA==?=

RE: No Clean Installs on Upgrade? Way to P*ss People Off, MS!
if it is true, i should cancel the upgrade order and say good bye to Vista
and looking for the other OS.
what a crazy logical flow? that's why windows are so buggy~
i only accept put XP cd or XP license key for the upgrade vaildation.
any strong reason for customer must install and activate XP b4 update?

"PV" wrote:

> Hey, Microsoft! Ya know, those of us that actually BUY a legit DVD and key
> for Ultimate Upgrade, spending $250 in the process, should have the option of
> doing a clean format and install of Vista. Instead, you give your loyal
> customers endless hours of aggravation by not publicizing this little fact
> and keeping it your dirty secret.
>
> I was using the opportunity to switch to a RAID setup from a single hard
> drive (which had a legit and paid for XP installed)....so I backed up to
> another drive....reformatted to RAID.....installed Vista.....went to enter my
> legit and paid for key.....to be told even though I had just installed the
> system and had a legit key I needed to upgrade from another version of
> Windows.
>
> Which meant reformatting again, reinstalling XP, then "upgrading" to Vista
> afterwards.
>
> So tell me....does this little "upgrade" get rid of rootkit viruses that
> could be lurking on your customers' drives? I think not, since reformatting
> isn't part of the "upgrade". For a lot of us, a large part of installing a
> new OS is being able to start CLEAN.
>
> When people spend $250 on a piece of software, THEY SHOULD BE ABLE TO
> INSTALL IT THE WAY THEY WANT.
>
> It shouldn't be easier to steal and do a clean install with a hacked Vista
> than it is to buy a legit Upgrade copy in a store. It's stuff like this that
> causes people to regret buying a legit copy and encourages the use of free
> hacked versions. I feel ripped off. I thought you should know, even though
> I know you don't care.

=?Utf-8?B?RHJ1bmtQaWNrMw==?=

RE: No Clean Installs on Upgrade? Way to P*ss People Off, MS!
HI pv if it's not too late try this link it might help, good luck
http://windowssecrets.com/comp/070201/

"Fred" wrote:

> if it is true, i should cancel the upgrade order and say good bye to Vista
> and looking for the other OS.
> what a crazy logical flow? that's why windows are so buggy~
> i only accept put XP cd or XP license key for the upgrade vaildation.
> any strong reason for customer must install and activate XP b4 update?
>
> "PV" wrote:
>
> > Hey, Microsoft! Ya know, those of us that actually BUY a legit DVD and key
> > for Ultimate Upgrade, spending $250 in the process, should have the option of
> > doing a clean format and install of Vista. Instead, you give your loyal
> > customers endless hours of aggravation by not publicizing this little fact
> > and keeping it your dirty secret.
> >
> > I was using the opportunity to switch to a RAID setup from a single hard
> > drive (which had a legit and paid for XP installed)....so I backed up to
> > another drive....reformatted to RAID.....installed Vista.....went to enter my
> > legit and paid for key.....to be told even though I had just installed the
> > system and had a legit key I needed to upgrade from another version of
> > Windows.
> >
> > Which meant reformatting again, reinstalling XP, then "upgrading" to Vista
> > afterwards.
> >
> > So tell me....does this little "upgrade" get rid of rootkit viruses that
> > could be lurking on your customers' drives? I think not, since reformatting
> > isn't part of the "upgrade". For a lot of us, a large part of installing a
> > new OS is being able to start CLEAN.
> >
> > When people spend $250 on a piece of software, THEY SHOULD BE ABLE TO
> > INSTALL IT THE WAY THEY WANT.
> >
> > It shouldn't be easier to steal and do a clean install with a hacked Vista
> > than it is to buy a legit Upgrade copy in a store. It's stuff like this that
> > causes people to regret buying a legit copy and encourages the use of free
> > hacked versions. I feel ripped off. I thought you should know, even though
> > I know you don't care.

Dave B.

Re: No Clean Installs on Upgrade? Way to P*ss People Off, MS!
Try doing a bit of forum searching, this was discussed at length the last
day or so, it is possible.

--
___________________________
http://www.db-pc.com
"PV" <PV@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hey, Microsoft! Ya know, those of us that actually BUY a legit DVD and
> key
> for Ultimate Upgrade, spending $250 in the process, should have the option
> of
> doing a clean format and install of Vista. Instead, you give your loyal
> customers endless hours of aggravation by not publicizing this little fact
> and keeping it your dirty secret.

=?Utf-8?B?RG9vZ2xv?=

Re: No Clean Installs on Upgrade? Way to P*ss People Off, MS!
I've seen on a few forums around the web, that you can do a clean install of
Vista form Vista Upgrade DVD.

Yes it's true.

1. Intsall Vista Upgrade
2. DO NOT enter key code !!!!
3. continue with set up, this gets you in on 30 day trail until key is
enetred.
4. Now from with-in Vista RE-Instal Vista and enter key.

You may be doing this twice, but now it's Clean full install. NO older OS
on HD.