Successful install of XP after Vista

CZ

Successful install of XP after Vista
FYI

These are the steps I used to successfully install XP after Vista RTM.

Disk was clean (no partritions)
Boot via Vista DVD
Create C:
Install Vista into C:
Boot into Vista, create E: via Disk Mgr
(D: is the CD/DVD drive)

Boot via XP CD
Select E: as target
Install XP into E:

When XP install is finished, computer will only boot into XP
Copy ntldr file from Vista vol into root of XP vol

Boot via Vista DVD
Select Repair Your Computer
Select Vistal vol
Select Startup Repair
(no notice of finding an error)
Reboot per prompt

Boot into Vista
Install VistaBootPro v3.1 beta
Do the BCD backup
Select "Manage OS Entries"
Select "Add new op system entry"
Select "Windows Legacy"
Enter a name (to show in the Vista boot mgr menu)
Select drive letter E:
Select Apply

Reboot
Select XP op system from the Vista boot mgr menu

=?Utf-8?B?Um9k?=

RE: Successful install of XP after Vista
Thanks CZ!! This worked! Appreciate the fix, alot! It was driving me nuts.

"CZ" wrote:

> FYI
>
> These are the steps I used to successfully install XP after Vista RTM.
>
> Disk was clean (no partritions)
> Boot via Vista DVD
> Create C:
> Install Vista into C:
> Boot into Vista, create E: via Disk Mgr
> (D: is the CD/DVD drive)
>
> Boot via XP CD
> Select E: as target
> Install XP into E:
>
> When XP install is finished, computer will only boot into XP
> Copy ntldr file from Vista vol into root of XP vol
>
> Boot via Vista DVD
> Select Repair Your Computer
> Select Vistal vol
> Select Startup Repair
> (no notice of finding an error)
> Reboot per prompt
>
> Boot into Vista
> Install VistaBootPro v3.1 beta
> Do the BCD backup
> Select "Manage OS Entries"
> Select "Add new op system entry"
> Select "Windows Legacy"
> Enter a name (to show in the Vista boot mgr menu)
> Select drive letter E:
> Select Apply
>
> Reboot
> Select XP op system from the Vista boot mgr menu

Nemesis72

Re: Successful install of XP after Vista

Question?
everything step have workedup until the point where i try to install
XP.
i receive a message stating that setup did not find any hard drive
installed.
why is this and how can i bypass this roadblock

thanks

--
Nemesis72
Mick Murphy

Re: Successful install of XP after Vista
http://apcmag.com/how_to_dual_boot_v...step_guide.htm

Have a read of above link!
--
Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia

"Nemesis72" wrote:

> Question?
> everything step have workedup until the point where i try to install
> XP.
> i receive a message stating that setup did not find any hard drive
> installed.
> why is this and how can i bypass this roadblock
>
> thanks
>

> --
> Nemesis72

Rick Rogers

Re: Successful install of XP after Vista
Hi,

Is it a SATA or RAID array? You may need to install an appropriate driver
via floppy for XP's setup to recognize it. Sata drives were not common when
XP was released, and XP's setup would not contain any drivers to support it.
Also, it has to be via floppy, as XP setup does not provide for adding
drivers from any other source.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Nemesis72" <Nemesis72.379px1@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message

> Question?
> everything step have workedup until the point where i try to install
> XP.
> i receive a message stating that setup did not find any hard drive
> installed.
> why is this and how can i bypass this roadblock
>
> thanks
>

> --
> Nemesis72

smellydidone is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Rogers View Post
Hi,

Is it a SATA or RAID array? You may need to install an appropriate driver
via floppy for XP's setup to recognize it. Sata drives were not common when
XP was released, and XP's setup would not contain any drivers to support it.
Also, it has to be via floppy, as XP setup does not provide for adding
drivers from any other source.

--
Best of Luck,

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional
Windows help - Nutcase's Home
My thoughts Life and other stuff

"Nemesis72" <Nemesis72.379px1@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message

> Question?
> everything step have workedup until the point where i try to install
> XP.
> i receive a message stating that setup did not find any hard drive
> installed.
> why is this and how can i bypass this roadblock
>
> thanks
>

> --
> Nemesis72
HI, I have the same problem with a pre-installed Ultimate on a Notebook, so what do you do if you don't have a diskette drive. Ok I know the prompt to add additional drivers etc when installing XP Pro but can we get it to add the extra driver from CD.

Just exactly where will we get a driver for SATA for XP?
My XP Pro desktop system uses a SATA drive just fine.

Thanks for any light you can shed on this.

Just a thought. My Vista Ultimate is an OEM Pre-install (service partition) so I don't have a Vista DVD to help out.

smellydidone is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Rogers View Post
Hi,

Is it a SATA or RAID array? You may need to install an appropriate driver
via floppy for XP's setup to recognize it. Sata drives were not common when
XP was released, and XP's setup would not contain any drivers to support it.
Also, it has to be via floppy, as XP setup does not provide for adding
drivers from any other source.

--
Best of Luck,

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional
Windows help - Nutcase's Home
My thoughts Life and other stuff

"Nemesis72" <Nemesis72.379px1@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message

> Question?
> everything step have workedup until the point where i try to install
> XP.
> i receive a message stating that setup did not find any hard drive
> installed.
> why is this and how can i bypass this roadblock
>
> thanks
>

> --
> Nemesis72
HI, I have the same problem with a pre-installed Ultimate on a Notebook, so what do you do if you don't have a diskette drive. Ok I know the prompt to add additional drivers etc when installing XP Pro but can we get it to add the extra driver from CD.

Just exactly where will we get a driver for SATA for XP?
My XP Pro desktop system uses a SATA drive just fine.

Thanks for any light you can shed on this.

Just a thought. My Vista Ultimate is an OEM Pre-install (service partition) so I don't have a Vista DVD to help out.
Bruce Chambers

smellydidone wrote:

> HI, I have the same problem with a pre-installed Ultimate on a
> Notebook, so what do you do if you don't have a diskette drive. Ok I
> know the prompt to add additional drivers etc when installing XP Pro but
> can we get it to add the extra driver from CD.

No. But USB floppy drives are inexpensive.

> Just exactly where will we get a driver for SATA for XP?

From the computer's or motherboard's manufacturer.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:

killed a great many philosophers.
~ Denis Diderot

smellydidone is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Vista Dual Install Problems
Thanks Bruce for your input.

I'm not sure where you live but I cant source a USB floppy for less than $100 and thats not cheap to me.

I also have some concerns as to whether the notebook bios will see and accept the device at boot so that the XP install can see it.

I have an XP Partion I can ghost on but all the Ghost tools don't see the SATA drive so back to square 1.

Thanks
Rick Rogers

Re: Successful install of XP after Vista
Hi,

You'll find many of them under $35 here:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...rds=usb+floppy

XP setup does not provide for any other means of loading an additional
driver during this stage.

--

"smellydidone" <smellydidone.37bo0p@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote in
message news:smellydidone.37bo0p@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com...