something new... no problems at all...

johnm

something new... no problems at all...
I just bought another Dell Inspiron 6400 notebook in December.
Went to Circuit City yesterday and bought Vista Home Premium Upgrade &
Office 2007 Pro.

Install took all of 45 minutes for Vista, another 15 for Office, and
everything worked, even things I keep reading about that have problems.

Like for instance, I also have an Axim X51v, also bought last year. I see a
lot of posts here about problems with the new ActiveSync replacement...
Hooked it up, plugged it in and instantly Vista downloaded and configured
Mobile Device Center and it works perfectly, and with a lot more features
than ActiveSync ever had.

It boots faster than XP, runs better and faster. Nice.

<whew> and I was sweating with what all I've been reading here....

jam

Mike Hall - MS MVP Windows Shell/User

Re: something new... no problems at all...
John

Some have problems, but many don't, and it isn't all luck.. some are better
at keeping their systems 'clean', better at following directions given,
better at understanding the 'read this before you start' section..

I have been running Vista RTM since November, and would not go back to XP..
the parallel XP installation has been kept updated 'just in case' but has
been put on 'death row' now, and is just awaiting the final format that will
see it into oblivion.. I will miss it in that it has been a reliable friend,
in much the same way as Win 2000 was, but we have to move on..

Thanks for coming in with a 'great, it works' post... we could do with more
in here if only to console and give hope to those like yourself who sit on
the side and watch the problems roll in..
"johnm" <whatever@user.net> wrote in message
>I just bought another Dell Inspiron 6400 notebook in December.
> Went to Circuit City yesterday and bought Vista Home Premium Upgrade &
> Office 2007 Pro.
>
> Install took all of 45 minutes for Vista, another 15 for Office, and
> everything worked, even things I keep reading about that have problems.
>
> Like for instance, I also have an Axim X51v, also bought last year. I see
> a lot of posts here about problems with the new ActiveSync replacement...
> Hooked it up, plugged it in and instantly Vista downloaded and configured
> Mobile Device Center and it works perfectly, and with a lot more features
> than ActiveSync ever had.
>
> It boots faster than XP, runs better and faster. Nice.
>
> <whew> and I was sweating with what all I've been reading here....
>
> jam

MICHAEL

Re: something new... no problems at all...
A most excellent post, Mike.
I agree with your sentiments.
It is sort of sad to leave XP, but as the days have
gone by, I have gotten so used to Vista, I couldn't
go back, either.

Take care,

Michael

"Mike Hall - MS MVP Windows Shell/User" <mikehall@mvps.org> wrote in message
> John
>
> Some have problems, but many don't, and it isn't all luck.. some are better at keeping their
> systems 'clean', better at following directions given, better at understanding the 'read this
> before you start' section..
>
> I have been running Vista RTM since November, and would not go back to XP.. the parallel XP
> installation has been kept updated 'just in case' but has been put on 'death row' now, and is
> just awaiting the final format that will see it into oblivion.. I will miss it in that it has
> been a reliable friend, in much the same way as Win 2000 was, but we have to move on..
>
> Thanks for coming in with a 'great, it works' post... we could do with more in here if only
> to console and give hope to those like yourself who sit on the side and watch the problems
> roll in..
> "johnm" <whatever@user.net> wrote in message news:uS7fwVmRHHA.3412@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
>>I just bought another Dell Inspiron 6400 notebook in December.
>> Went to Circuit City yesterday and bought Vista Home Premium Upgrade & Office 2007 Pro.
>>
>> Install took all of 45 minutes for Vista, another 15 for Office, and everything worked, even
>> things I keep reading about that have problems.
>>
>> Like for instance, I also have an Axim X51v, also bought last year. I see a lot of posts
>> here about problems with the new ActiveSync replacement...
>> Hooked it up, plugged it in and instantly Vista downloaded and configured Mobile Device
>> Center and it works perfectly, and with a lot more features than ActiveSync ever had.
>>
>> It boots faster than XP, runs better and faster. Nice.
>>
>> <whew> and I was sweating with what all I've been reading here....
>>
>> jam

Sylvia Dorman

Re: something new... no problems at all...

"Mike Hall - MS MVP Windows Shell/User" <mikehall@mvps.org> wrote in message
> John
>
> Some have problems, but many don't, and it isn't all luck.. some are
> better at keeping their systems 'clean', better at following directions
> given, better at understanding the 'read this before you start' section..

I am also in the camp of clean install, no problems. Within an hour was up
and running. I'm very happy with Vista.

sylvia

Mike Hall - MS MVP Windows Shell/User

Re: something new... no problems at all...
Michael

Last time I went in to XP, I ran all of the updates, AVG included, and it
came across me that it was like leaving home, the part where you just
straighten stuff up before taking a last look and closing the door.. XP will
be supported for some time to come, and I will still go into the XP
newsgroups, but the same will happen there too.. as more move over to Vista,
less traffic will hit the XP groups until such time as they look like ghost
groups, and I will feel the same again..

After the quirks of Win 2000 and the total intransigence of Win 9x (though
they all seemed pretty darn good at the time), XP was a sheer joy to use..
no more constant adjustments, altering autoexec.bat and its three friends,
and Win 2000's insistence on 'if you ain't gotten no password, you ain't not
never gonna do that'..

Apologies if I appear a little emotional, but XP and I had a good ride
together, as did many others.. it is time to leave.. adios, auf Wiedersehen,
later, my friend..

"MICHAEL" <u158627_emr@dslr.net> wrote in message
>A most excellent post, Mike.
> I agree with your sentiments.
> It is sort of sad to leave XP, but as the days have
> gone by, I have gotten so used to Vista, I couldn't
> go back, either.
>
> Take care,
>
> Michael
>
> "Mike Hall - MS MVP Windows Shell/User" <mikehall@mvps.org> wrote in
> message news:ugcP7mmRHHA.4188@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
>> John
>>
>> Some have problems, but many don't, and it isn't all luck.. some are
>> better at keeping their systems 'clean', better at following directions
>> given, better at understanding the 'read this before you start' section..
>>
>> I have been running Vista RTM since November, and would not go back to
>> XP.. the parallel XP installation has been kept updated 'just in case'
>> but has been put on 'death row' now, and is just awaiting the final
>> format that will see it into oblivion.. I will miss it in that it has
>> been a reliable friend, in much the same way as Win 2000 was, but we have
>> to move on..
>>
>> Thanks for coming in with a 'great, it works' post... we could do with
>> more in here if only to console and give hope to those like yourself who
>> sit on the side and watch the problems roll in..
>> "johnm" <whatever@user.net> wrote in message
>>>I just bought another Dell Inspiron 6400 notebook in December.
>>> Went to Circuit City yesterday and bought Vista Home Premium Upgrade &
>>> Office 2007 Pro.
>>>
>>> Install took all of 45 minutes for Vista, another 15 for Office, and
>>> everything worked, even things I keep reading about that have problems.
>>>
>>> Like for instance, I also have an Axim X51v, also bought last year. I
>>> see a lot of posts here about problems with the new ActiveSync
>>> replacement...
>>> Hooked it up, plugged it in and instantly Vista downloaded and
>>> configured Mobile Device Center and it works perfectly, and with a lot
>>> more features than ActiveSync ever had.
>>>
>>> It boots faster than XP, runs better and faster. Nice.
>>>
>>> <whew> and I was sweating with what all I've been reading here....
>>>
>>> jam

MICHAEL

Re: something new... no problems at all...
No apologies needed, I completely understand.

I still have XP on two different computers, and on a partition
in this computer. I have done like you said, and go back to
update them... but I don't hang around too long.

I even have an XP Pro virtual machine (VPC 2007 works great)
that I fire up sometimes... it's like, hello my old friend.

No doubt, WinXP has served us well. But for every day use,
I've moved on, too.

Thanks for sharing.