Did I get a clean install?

=?Utf-8?B?U2FtIFN0ZWluaGF1c2Vy?=

Did I get a clean install?
I bought the Vista Ultimate upgrade. Tuesday 1/30/07 morning I didn't have
any clean install tips so I followed the instructions. I installed my
original XP Pro from the CD I bought 10/01. vista said it couldn't do a
upgrade because my XP wasn't SP2 so it would be a clean install but it would
save my old Windows to windows.old and I could not ever boot into it again.

Do I have a clean install? It seems to boot and shut down a touch slower
that RC2 #5744 but everything else flys. I don't like upgrades over old OSes.
I just don't understand after laying out $260 and owning Windows 3.0, 95, 98,
ME and XP why I cannot put in my prevoius version CD in and go on.

That's all water under the bridge but I will wipe it again and do the double
Vista install to get a clean install if needed.

Thanks for replies with info,
--
Sam
MICHAEL

Re: Did I get a clean install?
Yes, you have a clean install, just not in the way the purists would
prefer. I believe the correct term of your install would be what
Microsoft calls a "custom clean install" instead of the regular "upgrade"
install. How long did the install take?

I am curios about this statement;

"vista said it couldn't do a
upgrade because my XP wasn't SP2 so it would be a clean install but it would
save my old Windows to windows.old and I could not ever boot into it again."

This goes against everything that was being told in this forum.
Originally, the story was that XP had to be SP2, validated, and
genuine or there would be no install.

Of course, there is another way around this that has been
discovered over the last couple of days, which also provides
for a way to do a clean install.

I think your install went just fine and if its working, don't fix it.

-Michael

einhauser" <SamSteinhauser@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I bought the Vista Ultimate upgrade. Tuesday 1/30/07 morning I didn't have
> any clean install tips so I followed the instructions. I installed my
> original XP Pro from the CD I bought 10/01. vista said it couldn't do a
> upgrade because my XP wasn't SP2 so it would be a clean install but it would
> save my old Windows to windows.old and I could not ever boot into it again.
>
> Do I have a clean install? It seems to boot and shut down a touch slower
> that RC2 #5744 but everything else flys. I don't like upgrades over old OSes.
> I just don't understand after laying out $260 and owning Windows 3.0, 95, 98,
> ME and XP why I cannot put in my prevoius version CD in and go on.
>
> That's all water under the bridge but I will wipe it again and do the double
> Vista install to get a clean install if needed.
>
> Thanks for replies with info,
> --
> Sam

Mike Hall - MS MVP Windows Shell/User

Re: Did I get a clean install?
Sam

Leave it as it is.. no problema.. Vista indexing will take a while, but is
beneficial in the same way as XP's prefetch was.. just give the system a
little time to find itself..

"Sam Steinhauser" <SamSteinhauser@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:08A80F69-9D77-4BD3-AEEC-31796142A821@microsoft.com...
>I bought the Vista Ultimate upgrade. Tuesday 1/30/07 morning I didn't have
> any clean install tips so I followed the instructions. I installed my
> original XP Pro from the CD I bought 10/01. vista said it couldn't do a
> upgrade because my XP wasn't SP2 so it would be a clean install but it
> would
> save my old Windows to windows.old and I could not ever boot into it
> again.
>
> Do I have a clean install? It seems to boot and shut down a touch slower
> that RC2 #5744 but everything else flys. I don't like upgrades over old
> OSes.
> I just don't understand after laying out $260 and owning Windows 3.0, 95,
> 98,
> ME and XP why I cannot put in my prevoius version CD in and go on.
>
> That's all water under the bridge but I will wipe it again and do the
> double
> Vista install to get a clean install if needed.
>
> Thanks for replies with info,
> --
> Sam

MICHAEL

Re: Did I get a clean install?
I forgot to mention- you can delete that windows.old folder.

If you want anything out of there, get it, then delete. Will
more than likely give you a lot more free space.

-Michael

"MICHAEL" <u158627_emr@dslr.net> wrote in message news:eWBBkfmRHHA.2256@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
> Yes, you have a clean install, just not in the way the purists would
> prefer. I believe the correct term of your install would be what
> Microsoft calls a "custom clean install" instead of the regular "upgrade"
> install. How long did the install take?
>
> I am curios about this statement;
>
> "vista said it couldn't do a
> upgrade because my XP wasn't SP2 so it would be a clean install but it would
> save my old Windows to windows.old and I could not ever boot into it again."
>
> This goes against everything that was being told in this forum.
> Originally, the story was that XP had to be SP2, validated, and
> genuine or there would be no install.
>
> Of course, there is another way around this that has been
> discovered over the last couple of days, which also provides
> for a way to do a clean install.
>
> I think your install went just fine and if its working, don't fix it.
>
> -Michael
>
> einhauser" <SamSteinhauser@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>I bought the Vista Ultimate upgrade. Tuesday 1/30/07 morning I didn't have
>> any clean install tips so I followed the instructions. I installed my
>> original XP Pro from the CD I bought 10/01. vista said it couldn't do a
>> upgrade because my XP wasn't SP2 so it would be a clean install but it would
>> save my old Windows to windows.old and I could not ever boot into it again.
>>
>> Do I have a clean install? It seems to boot and shut down a touch slower
>> that RC2 #5744 but everything else flys. I don't like upgrades over old OSes.
>> I just don't understand after laying out $260 and owning Windows 3.0, 95, 98,
>> ME and XP why I cannot put in my prevoius version CD in and go on.
>>
>> That's all water under the bridge but I will wipe it again and do the double
>> Vista install to get a clean install if needed.
>>
>> Thanks for replies with info,
>> --
>> Sam

=?Utf-8?B?U2FtIFN0ZWluaGF1c2Vy?=

Re: Did I get a clean install?
Thanks for the input. I just put my original XP Pro CD and entered a product
key but never validated it. It is a plain XP Pro CD from Oct. 01. No SP's and
that's where I got the upgrade disabled, clean install only prompts. I did
delete windows.old.

Thanks again for the help and support.
--
Sam

"Mike Hall - MS MVP Windows Shell/User" wrote:

> Sam
>
> Leave it as it is.. no problema.. Vista indexing will take a while, but is
> beneficial in the same way as XP's prefetch was.. just give the system a
> little time to find itself..
>

> "Sam Steinhauser" <SamSteinhauser@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message news:08A80F69-9D77-4BD3-AEEC-31796142A821@microsoft.com...
> >I bought the Vista Ultimate upgrade. Tuesday 1/30/07 morning I didn't have
> > any clean install tips so I followed the instructions. I installed my
> > original XP Pro from the CD I bought 10/01. vista said it couldn't do a
> > upgrade because my XP wasn't SP2 so it would be a clean install but it
> > would
> > save my old Windows to windows.old and I could not ever boot into it
> > again.
> >
> > Do I have a clean install? It seems to boot and shut down a touch slower
> > that RC2 #5744 but everything else flys. I don't like upgrades over old
> > OSes.
> > I just don't understand after laying out $260 and owning Windows 3.0, 95,
> > 98,
> > ME and XP why I cannot put in my prevoius version CD in and go on.
> >
> > That's all water under the bridge but I will wipe it again and do the
> > double
> > Vista install to get a clean install if needed.
> >
> > Thanks for replies with info,
> > --
> > Sam

MICHAEL

Re: Did I get a clean install?
You did *not* get XP validated and genuinized?
Am I understanding you correctly?

This goes against what we are being told.

Someone is mistaken.

-Michael

"Sam Steinhauser" <SamSteinhauser@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Thanks for the input. I just put my original XP Pro CD and entered a product
> key but never validated it. It is a plain XP Pro CD from Oct. 01. No SP's and
> that's where I got the upgrade disabled, clean install only prompts. I did
> delete windows.old.
>
> Thanks again for the help and support.
> --
> Sam
>

> "Mike Hall - MS MVP Windows Shell/User" wrote:
>
>> Sam
>>
>> Leave it as it is.. no problema.. Vista indexing will take a while, but is
>> beneficial in the same way as XP's prefetch was.. just give the system a
>> little time to find itself..
>>

>> "Sam Steinhauser" <SamSteinhauser@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>> message news:08A80F69-9D77-4BD3-AEEC-31796142A821@microsoft.com...
>> >I bought the Vista Ultimate upgrade. Tuesday 1/30/07 morning I didn't have
>> > any clean install tips so I followed the instructions. I installed my
>> > original XP Pro from the CD I bought 10/01. vista said it couldn't do a
>> > upgrade because my XP wasn't SP2 so it would be a clean install but it
>> > would
>> > save my old Windows to windows.old and I could not ever boot into it
>> > again.
>> >
>> > Do I have a clean install? It seems to boot and shut down a touch slower
>> > that RC2 #5744 but everything else flys. I don't like upgrades over old
>> > OSes.
>> > I just don't understand after laying out $260 and owning Windows 3.0, 95,
>> > 98,
>> > ME and XP why I cannot put in my prevoius version CD in and go on.
>> >
>> > That's all water under the bridge but I will wipe it again and do the
>> > double
>> > Vista install to get a clean install if needed.
>> >
>> > Thanks for replies with info,
>> > --
>> > Sam

MICHAEL

Re: Did I get a clean install?
Sam,

Did you even activate your XP Pro before attempting the Ultimate
upgrade?

-Michael

"Sam Steinhauser" <SamSteinhauser@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Thanks for the input. I just put my original XP Pro CD and entered a product
> key but never validated it. It is a plain XP Pro CD from Oct. 01. No SP's and
> that's where I got the upgrade disabled, clean install only prompts. I did
> delete windows.old.
>
> Thanks again for the help and support.
> --
> Sam
>

> "Mike Hall - MS MVP Windows Shell/User" wrote:
>
>> Sam
>>
>> Leave it as it is.. no problema.. Vista indexing will take a while, but is
>> beneficial in the same way as XP's prefetch was.. just give the system a
>> little time to find itself..
>>

>> "Sam Steinhauser" <SamSteinhauser@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>> message news:08A80F69-9D77-4BD3-AEEC-31796142A821@microsoft.com...
>> >I bought the Vista Ultimate upgrade. Tuesday 1/30/07 morning I didn't have
>> > any clean install tips so I followed the instructions. I installed my
>> > original XP Pro from the CD I bought 10/01. vista said it couldn't do a
>> > upgrade because my XP wasn't SP2 so it would be a clean install but it
>> > would
>> > save my old Windows to windows.old and I could not ever boot into it
>> > again.
>> >
>> > Do I have a clean install? It seems to boot and shut down a touch slower
>> > that RC2 #5744 but everything else flys. I don't like upgrades over old
>> > OSes.
>> > I just don't understand after laying out $260 and owning Windows 3.0, 95,
>> > 98,
>> > ME and XP why I cannot put in my prevoius version CD in and go on.
>> >
>> > That's all water under the bridge but I will wipe it again and do the
>> > double
>> > Vista install to get a clean install if needed.
>> >
>> > Thanks for replies with info,
>> > --
>> > Sam

=?Utf-8?B?U2FtIFN0ZWluaGF1c2Vy?=

Re: Did I get a clean install?
That is right. I only entered the product key, let it install, skipped
activaion and put in my Vista Ultimate DVD upgrade edition. The DVD opened
and I clicked install and it told me that upgrade was unavailable since I
didn't have SP2. I clicked next as only clean install was available and it
went right on through.
--
Sam

"MICHAEL" wrote:

> Sam,
>
> Did you even activate your XP Pro before attempting the Ultimate
> upgrade?
>
> -Michael
>
> "Sam Steinhauser" <SamSteinhauser@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Thanks for the input. I just put my original XP Pro CD and entered a product
> > key but never validated it. It is a plain XP Pro CD from Oct. 01. No SP's and
> > that's where I got the upgrade disabled, clean install only prompts. I did
> > delete windows.old.
> >
> > Thanks again for the help and support.
> > --
> > Sam
> >

> > "Mike Hall - MS MVP Windows Shell/User" wrote:
> >
> >> Sam
> >>
> >> Leave it as it is.. no problema.. Vista indexing will take a while, but is
> >> beneficial in the same way as XP's prefetch was.. just give the system a
> >> little time to find itself..
> >>

> >> "Sam Steinhauser" <SamSteinhauser@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> >> message news:08A80F69-9D77-4BD3-AEEC-31796142A821@microsoft.com...

MICHAEL

Re: Did I get a clean install?
Wow, this is completely contrary to what has been stated
in these groups about the prior OS having to be activated
and genuine before an Upgrade version would work.

Thanks, Sam.

Take care,

> That is right. I only entered the product key, let it install, skipped
> activaion and put in my Vista Ultimate DVD upgrade edition. The DVD opened
> and I clicked install and it told me that upgrade was unavailable since I
> didn't have SP2. I clicked next as only clean install was available and it
> went right on through.
> --
> Sam
>

> "MICHAEL" wrote:
>
>> Sam,
>>
>> Did you even activate your XP Pro before attempting the Ultimate
>> upgrade?
>>
>> -Michael
>>
>> "Sam Steinhauser" <SamSteinhauser@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Thanks for the input. I just put my original XP Pro CD and entered a product
>> > key but never validated it. It is a plain XP Pro CD from Oct. 01. No SP's and
>> > that's where I got the upgrade disabled, clean install only prompts. I did
>> > delete windows.old.
>> >
>> > Thanks again for the help and support.
>> > --
>> > Sam

=?Utf-8?B?U2FtIFN0ZWluaGF1c2Vy?=

Re: Did I get a clean install?
I can't say about the genuine version but for sure I didn't activate mine. I
was in to much of a hurry to get my Vista installed. Of course I have been
running Vista ever since CCP and completely since Oct. 07 with RC2 #5744 but
I just had to get finalized.
--
Sam