application failed to initialize: 0x80070002 (Windows Defender)

=?Utf-8?B?amFtZXNoYXp5?=

application failed to initialize: 0x80070002 (Windows Defender)
After I upgraded to Vista Ultimate from XP SP2 - I recieve a startup error
that Windows Defender can't be started. Try again later - or application
failed to initialize: 0x80070002.

Any ideas? The system will not let me uninstall or reinstall the
downloadable, as it is indicated tht Windows Defender is already installed
with Vista. Seems I am stuck. Windows Update will not successfully update
Defender so...
=?Utf-8?B?UENvdXRsZXQ=?=

RE: application failed to initialize: 0x80070002 (Windows Defender)
We have another thread going where several of us are having the same sort of
problem. I get the same error: Application Failed to initialize: 0x80070002
I am also running Windows Live OneCare.

"jameshazy" wrote:

> After I upgraded to Vista Ultimate from XP SP2 - I recieve a startup error
> that Windows Defender can't be started. Try again later - or application
> failed to initialize: 0x80070002.
>
> Any ideas? The system will not let me uninstall or reinstall the
> downloadable, as it is indicated tht Windows Defender is already installed
> with Vista. Seems I am stuck. Windows Update will not successfully update
> Defender so...

=?Utf-8?B?Y2RubmluamE=?=

RE: application failed to initialize: 0x80070002 (Windows Defender
Yeah, the same thing happened to me. I installed my windows vista home
premium but wasn't directed and forgot to uninstall windows defender beta 2
before the install. After a couple of days i realized that defender wasn't
working correctly and uninstalled the beta version but was unable to enable
the vista version. This is very frustrating as i was looking forward to
using windows defender. I have been in contact with a help and support tech
and tried various things. However none of them worked and in the end all she
could offer was for me to switch to a 3rd party anti spyware or do a complete
reinstall which would wipe everything.
Very dissapointed, please help with any ideas

"PCoutlet" wrote:

> We have another thread going where several of us are having the same sort of
> problem. I get the same error: Application Failed to initialize: 0x80070002
> I am also running Windows Live OneCare.
>
> "jameshazy" wrote:
>
> > After I upgraded to Vista Ultimate from XP SP2 - I recieve a startup error
> > that Windows Defender can't be started. Try again later - or application
> > failed to initialize: 0x80070002.
> >
> > Any ideas? The system will not let me uninstall or reinstall the
> > downloadable, as it is indicated tht Windows Defender is already installed
> > with Vista. Seems I am stuck. Windows Update will not successfully update
> > Defender so...

Bogey

Re: application failed to initialize: 0x80070002 (Windows Defender)

Where is this other thread? I too am having this problem. I tried to
work through things with MSFT support and they basically dropped it.

--
Bogey
Bogey's Profile: http://www.vista64.net/forums/member.php?userid=1760

CobraVenomeyes is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello I encountered a similar problem (same error code) after upgrading to Vista. Whenever I started Vista I would get a message in the Task tray stating that windows had blocked a start up program. when I right clicked the blocked program Icon in the task tray and selected the View or remove option I would get the error: application failed to initialize: 0x80070002. When I highlighted the run program option it would display a program called Install Helper. I was able to figure out what this program was turns out it was the Logitech QuickCam software that was being blocked and causing this error not Windows Defender even though the error message says windows defender at the top of the dialog box. To fix this problem and prevent this program from running at start up you can disable it in msconfig. To run msconfig click the start button (orb) and type msconfig in the search box and press enter. Then click the Start Up tab, look for the Start Up Item titled "Logitech QuickCam" with the command location at "C:\Program Files\Logitech\Video\InstallHelper.exe /inspect. Un-check the box next to this Item then click Ok. You will need to restart your computer, once restarted Vista will again block a program this time however it is blocking the msconfig program you were using. Simply right click on the block program Icon in the task tray and click run program, allow Vista to run the msconfig program entitled System Configuration. When you do this a dialog will pop up telling you that msconfig has changed some start up programs simply click the check box which says not to show the dialog or run msconfig at start again then click ok. This should take care of the issue assuming it is the same one I had. Hope this helps.

Last edited by CobraVenomeyes : 07-22-2008 at 20:41.