Vista upgrade dual-booting with original XP

Piotr Wozniacki

Vista upgrade dual-booting with original XP
I have a couple of questions regarding the Vista upgrade from Xp pro:

1. I'm talking about the Vista upgrade DVD that I'm expecting to be sent as
the free upgrade option with your XP; I've bought my PC with XP in November
2006 and got a coupon with it, which I registered and posted to Holland, but
didn't get the DVD yet. Are they already shipping?

2. I've heard somewhere it is NOT possible to do a clean, separate install
of a Vista upgrade as described above in point 1; it's said to be only
possible as the Xp upgrade option, which deactivates the XP so that it
cannot be used legally any more. Is this true? If so, I'm afraid that not
having a dual boot system will be a pain in the ass, as not all software is
Vista compatible yet...Please clarify!

3. If fresh install is possible as described here:
http://www.instantvista.com/windows-vista-upgrade.html , can it coexist and
dula boot with the original XP the upgrade is for?is How about the legal
stuff? I mean, is it legal to keep the OEM XP on the computer it was bought
with, and add the Vista upgrade as the second OS (of course, never actually
use both at the same time)?

With so many software not eing compatible with Vista yet, I just cannot
imagine having to give up my current Xp installation!

Thanks for any clarification. And again, should I be expecting the Vista DVD
shipment any day now?

Dave B.

Re: Vista upgrade dual-booting with original XP
The license of the OS that is being upgraded is absorbed by the upgrade,
while technically what you want to do is possible, from the EULA standpoint
it is not.

--
----
http://www.db-pc.com
"Piotr Wozniacki" <p.wozniacki@wp.pl> wrote in message
>I have a couple of questions regarding the Vista upgrade from Xp pro:
>
> 1. I'm talking about the Vista upgrade DVD that I'm expecting to be sent
> as the free upgrade option with your XP; I've bought my PC with XP in
> November 2006 and got a coupon with it, which I registered and posted to
> Holland, but didn't get the DVD yet. Are they already shipping?
>
> 2. I've heard somewhere it is NOT possible to do a clean, separate install
> of a Vista upgrade as described above in point 1; it's said to be only
> possible as the Xp upgrade option, which deactivates the XP so that it
> cannot be used legally any more. Is this true? If so, I'm afraid that not
> having a dual boot system will be a pain in the ass, as not all software
> is Vista compatible yet...Please clarify!
>
> 3. If fresh install is possible as described here:
> http://www.instantvista.com/windows-vista-upgrade.html , can it coexist
> and dula boot with the original XP the upgrade is for?is How about the
> legal stuff? I mean, is it legal to keep the OEM XP on the computer it was
> bought with, and add the Vista upgrade as the second OS (of course, never
> actually use both at the same time)?
>
> With so many software not eing compatible with Vista yet, I just cannot
> imagine having to give up my current Xp installation!
>

> Thanks for any clarification. And again, should I be expecting the Vista
> DVD shipment any day now?

Alex

Re: Vista upgrade dual-booting with original XP
My understanding, which may be wrong and if so I am sure someone will post,
is that:

You would start the Upgrade from within Xp - i.e. you boot machine normally,
put the DVD in and the Install screen will open.

You then get the option to do an Upgrade or a Custom Install.

I understand that the Custom install does effectively a clean install, but
places all your old files within a folder called windows.old.

Alex

"Piotr Wozniacki" <p.wozniacki@wp.pl> wrote in message
>I have a couple of questions regarding the Vista upgrade from Xp pro:
>
> 1. I'm talking about the Vista upgrade DVD that I'm expecting to be sent
> as the free upgrade option with your XP; I've bought my PC with XP in
> November 2006 and got a coupon with it, which I registered and posted to
> Holland, but didn't get the DVD yet. Are they already shipping?
>
> 2. I've heard somewhere it is NOT possible to do a clean, separate install
> of a Vista upgrade as described above in point 1; it's said to be only
> possible as the Xp upgrade option, which deactivates the XP so that it
> cannot be used legally any more. Is this true? If so, I'm afraid that not
> having a dual boot system will be a pain in the ass, as not all software
> is Vista compatible yet...Please clarify!
>
> 3. If fresh install is possible as described here:
> http://www.instantvista.com/windows-vista-upgrade.html , can it coexist
> and dula boot with the original XP the upgrade is for?is How about the
> legal stuff? I mean, is it legal to keep the OEM XP on the computer it was
> bought with, and add the Vista upgrade as the second OS (of course, never
> actually use both at the same time)?
>
> With so many software not eing compatible with Vista yet, I just cannot
> imagine having to give up my current Xp installation!
>

> Thanks for any clarification. And again, should I be expecting the Vista
> DVD shipment any day now?

=?Utf-8?B?QXBwcm9hY2hpbmdaZXJvSG91cg==?=

Re: Vista upgrade dual-booting with original XP
Alex...correct. Let me add you can also do a clean install on another
partition or Hard Disk so as to set up a dual boot situation with XP and
Vista. I just did this two nights ago. Have WinXP MCE2005 on C...Vista
Ultimate on G. There continues to be talk that your XP license is "absorbed"
and deactivated. Not true. I went to another forum and a Microsoft rep
stated that XP will still run as usual and that the license is not
deaactivated. I have since rebooted back into XP and the OS operated just
fine.

Patrick

"Alex" wrote:

> My understanding, which may be wrong and if so I am sure someone will post,
> is that:
>
> You would start the Upgrade from within Xp - i.e. you boot machine normally,
> put the DVD in and the Install screen will open.
>
> You then get the option to do an Upgrade or a Custom Install.
>
> I understand that the Custom install does effectively a clean install, but
> places all your old files within a folder called windows.old.
>
> Alex
>

> "Piotr Wozniacki" <p.wozniacki@wp.pl> wrote in message
> >I have a couple of questions regarding the Vista upgrade from Xp pro:
> >
> > 1. I'm talking about the Vista upgrade DVD that I'm expecting to be sent
> > as the free upgrade option with your XP; I've bought my PC with XP in
> > November 2006 and got a coupon with it, which I registered and posted to
> > Holland, but didn't get the DVD yet. Are they already shipping?
> >
> > 2. I've heard somewhere it is NOT possible to do a clean, separate install
> > of a Vista upgrade as described above in point 1; it's said to be only
> > possible as the Xp upgrade option, which deactivates the XP so that it
> > cannot be used legally any more. Is this true? If so, I'm afraid that not
> > having a dual boot system will be a pain in the ass, as not all software
> > is Vista compatible yet...Please clarify!
> >
> > 3. If fresh install is possible as described here:
> > http://www.instantvista.com/windows-vista-upgrade.html , can it coexist
> > and dula boot with the original XP the upgrade is for?is How about the
> > legal stuff? I mean, is it legal to keep the OEM XP on the computer it was
> > bought with, and add the Vista upgrade as the second OS (of course, never
> > actually use both at the same time)?
> >
> > With so many software not eing compatible with Vista yet, I just cannot
> > imagine having to give up my current Xp installation!
> >

> > Thanks for any clarification. And again, should I be expecting the Vista
> > DVD shipment any day now?

Dave B.

Re: Vista upgrade dual-booting with original XP
As far as the license being absorbed with this dual boot setup, you are
correct, it will still work, but I believe the EULA also states the upgraded
OS license is no longer valid (can't look at it at the moment), so as I
said, the setup will work, but may violate the EULA.

--
----
http://www.db-pc.com
> Alex...correct. Let me add you can also do a clean install on another
> partition or Hard Disk so as to set up a dual boot situation with XP and
> Vista. I just did this two nights ago. Have WinXP MCE2005 on C...Vista
> Ultimate on G. There continues to be talk that your XP license is
> "absorbed"
> and deactivated. Not true. I went to another forum and a Microsoft rep
> stated that XP will still run as usual and that the license is not
> deaactivated. I have since rebooted back into XP and the OS operated just
> fine.
>
> Patrick
>
> "Alex" wrote:
>
>> My understanding, which may be wrong and if so I am sure someone will
>> post,
>> is that:
>>
>> You would start the Upgrade from within Xp - i.e. you boot machine
>> normally,
>> put the DVD in and the Install screen will open.
>>
>> You then get the option to do an Upgrade or a Custom Install.
>>
>> I understand that the Custom install does effectively a clean install,
>> but
>> places all your old files within a folder called windows.old.
>>
>> Alex
>>

>> "Piotr Wozniacki" <p.wozniacki@wp.pl> wrote in message
>> >I have a couple of questions regarding the Vista upgrade from Xp pro:
>> >
>> > 1. I'm talking about the Vista upgrade DVD that I'm expecting to be
>> > sent
>> > as the free upgrade option with your XP; I've bought my PC with XP in
>> > November 2006 and got a coupon with it, which I registered and posted
>> > Holland, but didn't get the DVD yet. Are they already shipping?
>> >
>> > 2. I've heard somewhere it is NOT possible to do a clean, separate
>> > install
>> > of a Vista upgrade as described above in point 1; it's said to be only
>> > possible as the Xp upgrade option, which deactivates the XP so that it
>> > cannot be used legally any more. Is this true? If so, I'm afraid that
>> > not
>> > having a dual boot system will be a pain in the ass, as not all
>> > software
>> > is Vista compatible yet...Please clarify!
>> >
>> > 3. If fresh install is possible as described here:
>> > http://www.instantvista.com/windows-vista-upgrade.html , can it coexist
>> > and dula boot with the original XP the upgrade is for?is How about the
>> > legal stuff? I mean, is it legal to keep the OEM XP on the computer it
>> > was
>> > bought with, and add the Vista upgrade as the second OS (of course,
>> > never
>> > actually use both at the same time)?
>> >
>> > With so many software not eing compatible with Vista yet, I just cannot
>> > imagine having to give up my current Xp installation!
>> >

>> > Thanks for any clarification. And again, should I be expecting the
>> > Vista
>> > DVD shipment any day now?

Alex

Re: Vista upgrade dual-booting with original XP
To get used to Vista, i have installed the Vista Upgrade onto a spare
partition of my laptop using the Upgrade - MS and Dell both confirmed that
this was OK.

I get the opportunity to boot up either Vista or XP. XP works great. Need
to install some apps under Vista to get how they work

Alex

"Dave B." <mail@nomail.net> wrote in message
> As far as the license being absorbed with this dual boot setup, you are
> correct, it will still work, but I believe the EULA also states the
> upgraded OS license is no longer valid (can't look at it at the moment),
> so as I said, the setup will work, but may violate the EULA.
>
> --
> ----
> How to Post http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> http://www.db-pc.com
> "ApproachingZeroHour" <ApproachingZeroHour@discussions.microsoft.com>
> wrote in message
>> Alex...correct. Let me add you can also do a clean install on another
>> partition or Hard Disk so as to set up a dual boot situation with XP and
>> Vista. I just did this two nights ago. Have WinXP MCE2005 on C...Vista
>> Ultimate on G. There continues to be talk that your XP license is
>> "absorbed"
>> and deactivated. Not true. I went to another forum and a Microsoft rep
>> stated that XP will still run as usual and that the license is not
>> deaactivated. I have since rebooted back into XP and the OS operated
>> just
>> fine.
>>
>> Patrick
>>
>> "Alex" wrote:
>>
>>> My understanding, which may be wrong and if so I am sure someone will
>>> post,
>>> is that:
>>>
>>> You would start the Upgrade from within Xp - i.e. you boot machine
>>> normally,
>>> put the DVD in and the Install screen will open.
>>>
>>> You then get the option to do an Upgrade or a Custom Install.
>>>
>>> I understand that the Custom install does effectively a clean install,
>>> but
>>> places all your old files within a folder called windows.old.
>>>
>>> Alex

BobS

Re: Vista upgrade dual-booting with original XP
This is a grey area but if a person uses the dual-boot feature - how does
that go against the EULA? Not running both XP and Vista at the same
time.... If he was using a Virtual PC to run XP then he would be using
both.

Clean install is possible using the upgrade packages and well known and
documented - now. It is by MS design that a clean install can be
accomplished - just not well known yet.

Bob S.

> The license of the OS that is being upgraded is absorbed by the upgrade,
> while technically what you want to do is possible, from the EULA
> standpoint it is not.
>
> --
> ----
> How to Post http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> http://www.db-pc.com
> "Piotr Wozniacki" <p.wozniacki@wp.pl> wrote in message
>>I have a couple of questions regarding the Vista upgrade from Xp pro:
>>
>> 1. I'm talking about the Vista upgrade DVD that I'm expecting to be sent
>> as the free upgrade option with your XP; I've bought my PC with XP in
>> November 2006 and got a coupon with it, which I registered and posted to
>> Holland, but didn't get the DVD yet. Are they already shipping?
>>
>> 2. I've heard somewhere it is NOT possible to do a clean, separate
>> install of a Vista upgrade as described above in point 1; it's said to be
>> only possible as the Xp upgrade option, which deactivates the XP so that
>> it cannot be used legally any more. Is this true? If so, I'm afraid that
>> not having a dual boot system will be a pain in the ass, as not all
>> software is Vista compatible yet...Please clarify!
>>
>> 3. If fresh install is possible as described here:
>> http://www.instantvista.com/windows-vista-upgrade.html , can it coexist
>> and dula boot with the original XP the upgrade is for?is How about the
>> legal stuff? I mean, is it legal to keep the OEM XP on the computer it
>> was bought with, and add the Vista upgrade as the second OS (of course,
>> never actually use both at the same time)?
>>
>> With so many software not eing compatible with Vista yet, I just cannot
>> imagine having to give up my current Xp installation!
>>

>> Thanks for any clarification. And again, should I be expecting the Vista
>> DVD shipment any day now?

Dave B.

Re: Vista upgrade dual-booting with original XP
They may both be wrong, but who really cares.
From the EULA:

UPGRADES. To use upgrade software, you must first be licensed for the
software that is eligible

for the upgrade. Upon upgrade, this agreement takes the place of the
agreement for the software

you upgraded from. After you upgrade, you may no longer use the software you
upgraded from.

--
----
http://www.db-pc.com
"Alex" <alex@hotmail.co.uk> wrote in message
> To get used to Vista, i have installed the Vista Upgrade onto a spare
> partition of my laptop using the Upgrade - MS and Dell both confirmed that
> this was OK.
>
> I get the opportunity to boot up either Vista or XP. XP works great.
> Need to install some apps under Vista to get how they work
>
> Alex

Dave B.

Re: Vista upgrade dual-booting with original XP
It has nothing to do with running them at the same time. The upgrade license
that was purchased, by the EULA, is only valid to install over a licensed
copy of XP, not as a fresh dual boot install (even though you can do it).
Personally I would do it if I wanted to, but I do believe it violates the
EULA.

From the EULA:

"BobS" <no-spam@noplace.com> wrote in message
> This is a grey area but if a person uses the dual-boot feature - how does
> that go against the EULA? Not running both XP and Vista at the same
> time.... If he was using a Virtual PC to run XP then he would be using
> both.
>
> Clean install is possible using the upgrade packages and well known and
> documented - now. It is by MS design that a clean install can be
> accomplished - just not well known yet.
>
> Bob S.
>

> "Dave B." <mail@nomail.net> wrote in message
>> The license of the OS that is being upgraded is absorbed by the upgrade,
>> while technically what you want to do is possible, from the EULA
>> standpoint it is not.
>>
>> --
>> ----
>> Crosspost, do not multipost http://www.blakjak.demon.co.uk/mul_crss.htm
>> How to ask a question http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375
>> How to Post http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>> http://www.db-pc.com
>> ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>> "Piotr Wozniacki" <p.wozniacki@wp.pl> wrote in message
>>>I have a couple of questions regarding the Vista upgrade from Xp pro:
>>>
>>> 1. I'm talking about the Vista upgrade DVD that I'm expecting to be sent
>>> as the free upgrade option with your XP; I've bought my PC with XP in
>>> November 2006 and got a coupon with it, which I registered and posted to
>>> Holland, but didn't get the DVD yet. Are they already shipping?
>>>
>>> 2. I've heard somewhere it is NOT possible to do a clean, separate
>>> install of a Vista upgrade as described above in point 1; it's said to
>>> be only possible as the Xp upgrade option, which deactivates the XP so
>>> that it cannot be used legally any more. Is this true? If so, I'm afraid
>>> that not having a dual boot system will be a pain in the ass, as not all
>>> software is Vista compatible yet...Please clarify!
>>>
>>> 3. If fresh install is possible as described here:
>>> http://www.instantvista.com/windows-vista-upgrade.html , can it coexist
>>> and dula boot with the original XP the upgrade is for?is How about the
>>> legal stuff? I mean, is it legal to keep the OEM XP on the computer it
>>> was bought with, and add the Vista upgrade as the second OS (of course,
>>> never actually use both at the same time)?
>>>
>>> With so many software not eing compatible with Vista yet, I just cannot
>>> imagine having to give up my current Xp installation!
>>>

>>> Thanks for any clarification. And again, should I be expecting the Vista
>>> DVD shipment any day now?

Alex

Re: Vista upgrade dual-booting with original XP
If MS tell me its Ok, then heck, that's good enough for me.

As you say - who cares! I suspect they may have bigger issues on their minds
than me and a dual boot laptop