Vista x86 and x64 Versions: Do BOTH come in the box?

Ian

Vista x86 and x64 Versions: Do BOTH come in the box?
Hello,

I am trying to resolve some conflicting information I'm getting from
different sources.

I'm looking to purchase Vista (probably Ultimate) and will probably go with
x64 version.

My local computer store says that you have to specify whether you want the
x86 (32-bit) or x64 (64-bit) version of Windows Vista in addition to the
product edition (e.g. Vista Home Premium or Vista Ultimate). Specifically,
you do not get both versions in a single box.

However, on the Microsoft website there is a Vista Product Overview that
says the following (I include a reference to the original documentation);
the quote is from the last paragraph of page 7:
http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...WVPG%20RTM.xps

==> Begin Quote
A goal of the Windows Vista SKU strategy is to make key technologies more
broadly available. For example, Windows Media Center, a separate product
edition of Windows XP, is now included as functionality in the Home Premium
and Ultimate editions of Windows Vista. And Tablet PC, also a separate
Windows XP edition, is now included as a capability in the Windows Vista
Home Premium, Business, Enterprise, and Ultimate editions. One more example
is 64-bit computing-with Windows Vista, you no longer need to choose between
32-bit and 64-bit versions. Both versions are available with every product
edition except Starter.
==> End Quote

From this, I think I can just buy 1 copy of "Windows Vista Ultimate" and
install either (not both) of the x86 or x64 versions.

Could someone who has actually purchased the product please indicate which
of the two scenarios is correct.

Thanks

Mark

Re: Vista x86 and x64 Versions: Do BOTH come in the box?
Read the box.
x86 and x64 version are only sold together in the Ultimate retail package.
Any other version is sold as the x86 version unless you specify x64.
For these versions, x64 is obtained for about $7-$10 more from the MS
website.

"Ian" <nospam@for.me.thx> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I am trying to resolve some conflicting information I'm getting from
> different sources.
>
> I'm looking to purchase Vista (probably Ultimate) and will probably go
> with x64 version.
>

> My local computer store says that you have to specify whether you want the
> x86 (32-bit) or x64 (64-bit) version of Windows Vista in addition to the
> product edition (e.g. Vista Home Premium or Vista Ultimate).
> Specifically, you do not get both versions in a single box.
>

> However, on the Microsoft website there is a Vista Product Overview that
> says the following (I include a reference to the original documentation);
> the quote is from the last paragraph of page 7:
> http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...WVPG%20RTM.xps
>
> ==> Begin Quote
> A goal of the Windows Vista SKU strategy is to make key technologies more
> broadly available. For example, Windows Media Center, a separate product
> edition of Windows XP, is now included as functionality in the Home
> Premium and Ultimate editions of Windows Vista. And Tablet PC, also a
> separate Windows XP edition, is now included as a capability in the
> Windows Vista Home Premium, Business, Enterprise, and Ultimate editions.
> One more example is 64-bit computing-with Windows Vista, you no longer
> need to choose between 32-bit and 64-bit versions. Both versions are
> available with every product edition except Starter.
> ==> End Quote
>
> From this, I think I can just buy 1 copy of "Windows Vista Ultimate" and
> install either (not both) of the x86 or x64 versions.
>

> Could someone who has actually purchased the product please indicate which
> of the two scenarios is correct.
>

> Thanks

Rick Rogers

Re: Vista x86 and x64 Versions: Do BOTH come in the box?
Hi,

This applies only to retail packaged products, not OEM ones. Vista Ultimate
comes with both x86 and x64 in the box. For other versions, you make the
purchase of the x86 (32 bit) disk and then order the x64 disk for a nominal
fee from Microsoft here:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...ons/64bit.mspx

--
Best of Luck,