Fresh Install with Upgrade License/DVD

=?Utf-8?B?UmlkZXN5?=

Fresh Install with Upgrade License/DVD
Hi All,

A simple question that must have come up by now!

I have six PC's in the office that were built very recently with XP Pro
installed that all have "free" upgrade path to Vista Business.

Even though the Modus Link thing has been awful, I have received
confirmation that POP and COA are confirmed so the upgrades will "eventually"
arrive!!

But having played with Vista since Beta releases through to RTM for
evaluation, I have ALWAYS performed a complete fresh install rather than
upgrading any XP or previous Vista install, as I know this is best practice,
a lot quicker and less prone to issues.

So now the question - when I receive these "upgrade" DVD's will I be able to
format and perform a fresh/clean install or will Vista complain that I have
an "upgrade" license and I am effectively performing a fresh install, as all
remnants of XP will have been removed????

Anyone know??

Thanks

Ridesy
=?Utf-8?B?QklHREFERFk1MQ==?=

RE: Fresh Install with Upgrade License/DVD
You will be able to perform a "custom" install, where Vista moves all the old
stuff to a seperate folder, and then does a complete install, after which you
can delete the windows.old folder.It's about as close to a fresh install as
you are going to get.

"Ridesy" wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> A simple question that must have come up by now!
>
> I have six PC's in the office that were built very recently with XP Pro
> installed that all have "free" upgrade path to Vista Business.
>
> Even though the Modus Link thing has been awful, I have received
> confirmation that POP and COA are confirmed so the upgrades will "eventually"
> arrive!!
>
> But having played with Vista since Beta releases through to RTM for
> evaluation, I have ALWAYS performed a complete fresh install rather than
> upgrading any XP or previous Vista install, as I know this is best practice,
> a lot quicker and less prone to issues.
>
> So now the question - when I receive these "upgrade" DVD's will I be able to
> format and perform a fresh/clean install or will Vista complain that I have
> an "upgrade" license and I am effectively performing a fresh install, as all
> remnants of XP will have been removed????
>
> Anyone know??
>
> Thanks
>
> Ridesy

Dr Teeth

Re: Fresh Install with Upgrade License/DVD
On Thu, 1 Feb 2007 05:46:00 -0800, BIGDADDY51
<BIGDADDY51@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>It's about as close to a fresh install as
>you are going to get.

There is a work around that I have not tested but seen in several
places.

One installs Vista (upgrade) without the serial number on a clean
partition. One then reinstalls it *with* the serial number. One gets
it to upgrade itself.

Cheers,

Guy

JS

Re: Fresh Install with Upgrade License/DVD
Untested workaround:
http://www.windowsitpro.com/mobile/p...D=95011&News=1

JS

"Ridesy" <Ridesy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi All,
>
> A simple question that must have come up by now!
>
> I have six PC's in the office that were built very recently with XP Pro
> installed that all have "free" upgrade path to Vista Business.
>
> Even though the Modus Link thing has been awful, I have received
> confirmation that POP and COA are confirmed so the upgrades will
> "eventually"
> arrive!!
>
> But having played with Vista since Beta releases through to RTM for
> evaluation, I have ALWAYS performed a complete fresh install rather than
> upgrading any XP or previous Vista install, as I know this is best
> practice,
> a lot quicker and less prone to issues.
>
> So now the question - when I receive these "upgrade" DVD's will I be able
> format and perform a fresh/clean install or will Vista complain that I
> have
> an "upgrade" license and I am effectively performing a fresh install, as
> all
> remnants of XP will have been removed????
>
> Anyone know??
>
> Thanks
>
> Ridesy

=?Utf-8?B?Y2RvZGllcg==?=

Re: Fresh Install with Upgrade License/DVD
Hi guys,

I just used the upgrade version of vista ultimate x64 on my system and the
upgrade option was disabled I could only install a fresh version which was
what I wanted to do anyway

I booted of the DVD, formated my partition and installed from scrach with
the upgrade dvd . Hopefully It will be the same for you with your version. In
the past it was always possible with win95,98,and xp upgrade.

"JS" wrote:

> Untested workaround:
> http://www.windowsitpro.com/mobile/p...D=95011&News=1
>
> JS
>
> "Ridesy" <Ridesy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi All,
> >
> > A simple question that must have come up by now!
> >
> > I have six PC's in the office that were built very recently with XP Pro
> > installed that all have "free" upgrade path to Vista Business.
> >
> > Even though the Modus Link thing has been awful, I have received
> > confirmation that POP and COA are confirmed so the upgrades will
> > "eventually"
> > arrive!!
> >
> > But having played with Vista since Beta releases through to RTM for
> > evaluation, I have ALWAYS performed a complete fresh install rather than
> > upgrading any XP or previous Vista install, as I know this is best
> > practice,
> > a lot quicker and less prone to issues.
> >
> > So now the question - when I receive these "upgrade" DVD's will I be able
> > format and perform a fresh/clean install or will Vista complain that I
> > have
> > an "upgrade" license and I am effectively performing a fresh install, as
> > all
> > remnants of XP will have been removed????
> >
> > Anyone know??
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Ridesy

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: Fresh Install with Upgrade License/DVD
The 64bit upgrade versions can only do a clean install. This is different
from the 32bit versions.

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP