Don't want to see Desktop.ini on my desktop

=?Utf-8?B?Tm9KdWljZQ==?=

Don't want to see Desktop.ini on my desktop
Is there a way to make Vista not show hidden files for the desktop only? I
want to be able to see hidden AND system files inside the explorer windows,
but this setting also made 2 instances of desktop.ini visible on my desktop.
Ken

Re: Don't want to see Desktop.ini on my desktop
Just delete them.

Ken

"NoJuice" <NoJuice@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Is there a way to make Vista not show hidden files for the desktop only?
> want to be able to see hidden AND system files inside the explorer
> windows,
> but this setting also made 2 instances of desktop.ini visible on my
> desktop.

=?Utf-8?B?Wm9kb20=?=

Re: Don't want to see Desktop.ini on my desktop
Hummm. If you can just delete them, they why did Vist not delete them for you?

Ken, a little longer explination of how they got there and WHY they can now
be deleted would be appreciated.

Many Thanks
Zodom

"Ken" wrote:

> Just delete them.
>

> Ken
>

> "NoJuice" <NoJuice@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Is there a way to make Vista not show hidden files for the desktop only?
> > want to be able to see hidden AND system files inside the explorer
> > windows,
> > but this setting also made 2 instances of desktop.ini visible on my
> > desktop.

Rick Rogers

Re: Don't want to see Desktop.ini on my desktop
Hi,

> Hummm. If you can just delete them, they why did Vist not delete them for
> you?

Because they are normal files when the desktop folder view is customized.
Ordinarily, as they are hidden, system files, you don't see them - but they
still exist. When a user changes folder options to show hidden and system
files, they show up. You can still delete them, they aren't critical.
Desktop.ini files appear in many folders and hold the view settings for that
folder. IE: If you customize the view on C:\Users\<user>\desktop, a
desktop.ini file will be created in that folder and appear on the desktop if
the option to view hidden and system files is enabled.

In fact, you might get two of them if C:\Users\Default\Desktop is customized
as well.

> Ken, a little longer explination of how they got there and WHY they can
> now be deleted would be appreciated.

Not Ken, but I hope the above explains it.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Zodom" <Zodom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> Many Thanks
> Zodom
>

> "Ken" wrote:
>
>> Just delete them.
>>

>> Ken
>>

>> "NoJuice" <NoJuice@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Is there a way to make Vista not show hidden files for the desktop
>> > only?
>> > want to be able to see hidden AND system files inside the explorer
>> > windows,
>> > but this setting also made 2 instances of desktop.ini visible on my
>> > desktop.

Hughes

Re: Don't want to see Desktop.ini on my desktop
Back to the original question - Can you have the Desktop folders be set to
Not show Hidden files and still allow Hidden files/folders to be shown in
Explorer windows?

I realize why they are there, I understand what they do and where they live,
I just want to know if I can have my cake and eat it too - Show Hidden
everywhere except on the Desktop.

Thanks, Ken

"Rick Rogers" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> > Hummm. If you can just delete them, they why did Vist not delete them for
> > you?

> Because they are normal files when the desktop folder view is customized.
> Ordinarily, as they are hidden, system files, you don't see them - but they
> still exist. When a user changes folder options to show hidden and system
> files, they show up. You can still delete them, they aren't critical.
> Desktop.ini files appear in many folders and hold the view settings for that
> folder. IE: If you customize the view on C:\Users\<user>\desktop, a
> desktop.ini file will be created in that folder and appear on the desktop if
> the option to view hidden and system files is enabled.
>
> In fact, you might get two of them if C:\Users\Default\Desktop is customized
> as well.
>
> > Ken, a little longer explination of how they got there and WHY they can
> > now be deleted would be appreciated.

> Not Ken, but I hope the above explains it.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "Zodom" <Zodom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >
> > Many Thanks
> > Zodom
> >

> > "Ken" wrote:
> >
> >> Just delete them.
> >>

> >> Ken

Rick Rogers

Re: Don't want to see Desktop.ini on my desktop
Hi,

Sorry but no, that is a system wide settings. Either they are shown or
they're not. To be honest, for an average day to day user there is no good
reason to have these hidden files showing.