Ultra 100 IDE with RAID and SCSI built-in to my notebook

=?Utf-8?B?TGFmZnlKUA==?=

Ultra 100 IDE with RAID and SCSI built-in to my notebook
The more people I ask, the more discouraged I become. There doesn't seem to
presently be any satisfactory solutions to this problem. For weeks, I have
been checking the Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor almost daily to be sure that
my computer would support the new operating system, and every time I checked,
there were absolutely no problems. So, I shelled out the $200 for an upgrade
version of the Home Premium, attempted to install it, and get a message
telling me to contact Promise Technology, the manufacturer of my RAID and
SCSI controllers, for an upgrade to the drivers before installation could
continue. So, I contacted them, found out they have no upgrade for Windows
Vista. When I asked if I could simply uninstall it, I was told I couldn't
because it is a notebook, and apparently it boots from the IDE that contains
the RAID and SCSI controllers. This is frustrating, because I've spent over
$6000 in the past 4 years keeping my computer up-to-date and as powerful as
possible, only to be told that it is no longer able to be upgraded. I even
contacted Microsoft for possible solutions. Ha. Some help that was. In
case anybody is wondering, I have a Sager D800P notebook (also called Clevo)
with a 3.2 gHz Pentium 4 processor, BIOS version 2.01.0 (apparently also
incapable of upgrade). If any other information is required, just ask, and
I'll see if I can provide it. I'm so frustrated, I'm even considering a
PayPal donation to anyone who can provide a workable solution to this
problem, other than replacing my motherboard or computer. Please Help.
Thanks
CharlesE

Re: Ultra 100 IDE with RAID and SCSI built-in to my notebook
Wouldn't it be funny if Microsoft was not allowed to say hardware is not
compatible unless the company signs-off. And wouldn't it be funny if that
happened in this case.

"LaffyJP" <LaffyJP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> The more people I ask, the more discouraged I become. There doesn't seem
> presently be any satisfactory solutions to this problem. For weeks, I
> have
> been checking the Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor almost daily to be sure
> that
> my computer would support the new operating system, and every time I
> checked,
> there were absolutely no problems. So, I shelled out the $200 for an
> upgrade
> version of the Home Premium, attempted to install it, and get a message
> telling me to contact Promise Technology, the manufacturer of my RAID and
> SCSI controllers, for an upgrade to the drivers before installation could
> continue. So, I contacted them, found out they have no upgrade for
> Windows
> Vista. When I asked if I could simply uninstall it, I was told I couldn't
> because it is a notebook, and apparently it boots from the IDE that
> contains
> the RAID and SCSI controllers. This is frustrating, because I've spent
> over
> $6000 in the past 4 years keeping my computer up-to-date and as powerful
> as
> possible, only to be told that it is no longer able to be upgraded. I
> even
> contacted Microsoft for possible solutions. Ha. Some help that was. In
> case anybody is wondering, I have a Sager D800P notebook (also called
> Clevo)
> with a 3.2 gHz Pentium 4 processor, BIOS version 2.01.0 (apparently also
> incapable of upgrade). If any other information is required, just ask,
> and
> I'll see if I can provide it. I'm so frustrated, I'm even considering a
> PayPal donation to anyone who can provide a workable solution to this
> problem, other than replacing my motherboard or computer. Please Help.
> Thanks

Richard G. Harper

Re: Ultra 100 IDE with RAID and SCSI built-in to my notebook
The problem is that Microsoft cannot list hardware on the HCL unless the
hardware manufacturer submits their drivers for certification and signing.
So the odds are high-on that whomever the manufacturer is never did, so
Microsoft would not know one way or the other about them.

news:J5ydnT7duvZzrVnYnZ2dnUVZ_t2tnZ2d@comcast.com. ..