Hard Drive Partition and Program Files?

=?Utf-8?B?ZGl6aWduNTQ=?=

Hard Drive Partition and Program Files?
I have 2 questions that I hope someone can help me with.

I orginally had XP SP1 and my hard drive was split to a C: (15GB) Drive and
a D: (135 GB) Drive. I got the Home Premium Upgrade, and since it needed a
larger disk space to install I put it on D: drive.

So it's running great now and everything seems to be in place, my first
question is:

Does it matter that the OS is on the D: drive? Every computer I have owned
it's been on the C: drive. I don't think it's a big deal but maybe there is
something I don't know.

Secondly if it's fine running off the D: drive, as of right now my Program
Files folder, Windows folder, etc. Are still all on C: Drive.

Is it safe to just delete those to free up space on the C: drive? Vista
doesn't recognize any programs in the control panel so I want to make sure
there would be no ill effects from just seleting them and deleting.

Any answers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

AJR

Re: Hard Drive Partition and Program Files?
XP had to "start" from the first partition on drive "0" (C) - using a third
party manager it can be installed on a different partition/drive,
Vista's boot manger "handles" installation on other than the C drive (also
installs some files on C)..
Did you end up with a dual boot configuration?
In case there will be "items" on the C drive that you can access from Vista.

"dizign54" <dizign54@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have 2 questions that I hope someone can help me with.
>
> I orginally had XP SP1 and my hard drive was split to a C: (15GB) Drive
> and
> a D: (135 GB) Drive. I got the Home Premium Upgrade, and since it needed
> larger disk space to install I put it on D: drive.
>
> So it's running great now and everything seems to be in place, my first
> question is:
>
> Does it matter that the OS is on the D: drive? Every computer I have
> owned
> it's been on the C: drive. I don't think it's a big deal but maybe there
> is
> something I don't know.
>
> Secondly if it's fine running off the D: drive, as of right now my Program
> Files folder, Windows folder, etc. Are still all on C: Drive.
>
> Is it safe to just delete those to free up space on the C: drive? Vista
> doesn't recognize any programs in the control panel so I want to make sure
> there would be no ill effects from just seleting them and deleting.
>
> Any answers would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks

=?Utf-8?B?Tm9KdWljZQ==?=

RE: Hard Drive Partition and Program Files?
If your D: is a primary partition, it should be safe. However, I believe
that your D: is an extended partition.

I have a somewhat similar scenario, Ièll lay out the details so you can
compare the facts.

When my cpu boots in XP:
HDA0 is my 300GB HD (seen as C:, and H ** F and G drives are removable
devices
HDB0 is my 120GB HD (seen as D
HDB1 is my 120GB HD (seen as E
** Vista is stored on HDB1.

When my cpu boots in Vista:
HDA0 is seen as D:, and F:
HDB0 is seen as E:
HDB1 is seen as C:

As you can see the drive letters change between XP and Vista.
C: -" D:
D: -" E:
E: -" C:
H: -" F:

Ièd recommend doing a full fresh install if possible, while repartitioning
your HD so that C: has about 25-30GB.

"dizign54" wrote:

> I have 2 questions that I hope someone can help me with.
>
> I orginally had XP SP1 and my hard drive was split to a C: (15GB) Drive and
> a D: (135 GB) Drive. I got the Home Premium Upgrade, and since it needed a
> larger disk space to install I put it on D: drive.
>
> So it's running great now and everything seems to be in place, my first
> question is:
>
> Does it matter that the OS is on the D: drive? Every computer I have owned
> it's been on the C: drive. I don't think it's a big deal but maybe there is
> something I don't know.
>
> Secondly if it's fine running off the D: drive, as of right now my Program
> Files folder, Windows folder, etc. Are still all on C: Drive.
>
> Is it safe to just delete those to free up space on the C: drive? Vista
> doesn't recognize any programs in the control panel so I want to make sure
> there would be no ill effects from just seleting them and deleting.
>
> Any answers would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

RE: Hard Drive Partition and Program Files?
Hello,
There are some boot files that are still being used on the C drive so not
everything on C: drive can be deleted.
However there should be nothing used in c:\Windows nor nothing in the
C:\Program Files that is being used in Windows Vista.
As long you are sure there are no data files or personal files stored under
those folders then they can be safely deleted.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]