Machine runs Vista -- want to install XP for dual boot

=?Utf-8?B?QWFyb24gV2hlZWxlcg==?=

Machine runs Vista -- want to install XP for dual boot
Just purchased a Vaio with OEM Vista. Can I also install XP?

This is super important -- my backup software (Retrospect) unexpectedly will
not run on Vista. The only way I can get my data is to run it in XP. So I
think I need multiboot.

So, bottom line: if I partition my hard drive for multiboot, can I install
XP from a CD? I have tried this, but Vista prevents me from installing an
older OS.

Thanks in advance.
AJR

Re: Machine runs Vista -- want to install XP for dual boot
One more time! "Older OS must be installed first.

"Aaron Wheeler" <Aaron Wheeler@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Just purchased a Vaio with OEM Vista. Can I also install XP?
>
> This is super important -- my backup software (Retrospect) unexpectedly
> will
> not run on Vista. The only way I can get my data is to run it in XP. So I
> think I need multiboot.
>
> So, bottom line: if I partition my hard drive for multiboot, can I install
> XP from a CD? I have tried this, but Vista prevents me from installing an
> older OS.
>
> Thanks in advance.

=?Utf-8?B?QWFyb24gV2hlZWxlcg==?=

Re: Machine runs Vista -- want to install XP for dual boot
So, I need to wipe the drive and just install XP?

"AJR" wrote:

> One more time! "Older OS must be installed first.
>
> "Aaron Wheeler" <Aaron Wheeler@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Just purchased a Vaio with OEM Vista. Can I also install XP?
> >
> > This is super important -- my backup software (Retrospect) unexpectedly
> > will
> > not run on Vista. The only way I can get my data is to run it in XP. So I
> > think I need multiboot.
> >
> > So, bottom line: if I partition my hard drive for multiboot, can I install
> > XP from a CD? I have tried this, but Vista prevents me from installing an
> > older OS.
> >
> > Thanks in advance.

AJR

Re: Machine runs Vista -- want to install XP for dual boot
Yes To dual boot you must install XP and then install Vista on another
partition or drive.

> So, I need to wipe the drive and just install XP?
>
> "AJR" wrote:
>
>> One more time! "Older OS must be installed first.
>>
>> "Aaron Wheeler" <Aaron Wheeler@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>> message
>> > Just purchased a Vaio with OEM Vista. Can I also install XP?
>> >
>> > This is super important -- my backup software (Retrospect) unexpectedly
>> > will
>> > not run on Vista. The only way I can get my data is to run it in XP. So
>> > think I need multiboot.
>> >
>> > So, bottom line: if I partition my hard drive for multiboot, can I
>> > install
>> > XP from a CD? I have tried this, but Vista prevents me from installing
>> > an
>> > older OS.
>> >
>> > Thanks in advance.

Bert Kinney

Re: Machine runs Vista -- want to install XP for dual boot
Hi Aaron,

Another option is to use a 3ed party boot and partition manager such as
Bootit NG. This way each OS can be hidden from each other preventing restore
point/shadow copy deletion.

Dual Booting Windows Vista & Windows XP:
http://bertk.mvps.org/html/dualboot.html

BootIt Next Generation:
http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/bootitng.html

Regards,
Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
http://bertk.mvps.org
Member: http://dts-l.org

Aaron Wheeler wrote:
> So, I need to wipe the drive and just install XP?
>
> "AJR" wrote:
>
>> One more time! "Older OS must be installed first.
>>
>> "Aaron Wheeler" <Aaron Wheeler@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> Just purchased a Vaio with OEM Vista. Can I also install XP?
>>>
>>> This is super important -- my backup software (Retrospect) unexpectedly
>>> will
>>> not run on Vista. The only way I can get my data is to run it in XP. So I
>>> think I need multiboot.
>>>
>>> So, bottom line: if I partition my hard drive for multiboot, can I install
>>> XP from a CD? I have tried this, but Vista prevents me from installing an
>>> older OS.
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance.

Kerry Brown

Re: Machine runs Vista -- want to install XP for dual boot
You can use Vista to shrink the system partition then create another
partition in the new space. Install XP to this partition. Make sure you do
not overwrite the Vista partition. This will get you a single boot system
that only boots to XP. Don't worry Vista is still there. Download
VistaBootPro, recreate the Vista Boot sector and create a dual boot.

http://vistasupport.mvps.org/shrink_...thin_vista.htm

http://www.vistamania.org/index.php?...pper&Itemid=47

--
Kerry Brown