Installation problems with Vista Home Premium Upgrade

=?Utf-8?B?QW1hYm9r?=

Installation problems with Vista Home Premium Upgrade
I've attemp to upgrade from XP Home edition to Vista Home premium. Before
upgrade I ran the upgrade advisor check it indicated my pc to be ok and that
no additional problems with programs, etc. It even indicated that my current
graphics card as ok-no action required but during the upgrade it indicated
that my display driver might have some compatibillity issues...

The whole installation went fine and during the system's first logon attemp
to vista, the system rebooted and gave me the option of starting win
normally or in safe mode which I tried with no luck. Then I had to boot from
disk and one of the options was to run repair program which I did and the
repairing has been goin on for more than 12hrs but still no change has
occured. Please help.

Thanks

John

Re: Installation problems with Vista Home Premium Upgrade
I had the same options when installing ultimate but choose to "start windows
normally". I've had no problem. Why don't you try to reboot and just boot
normally?

best of luck (all will go fine I trust)

"Amabok" <Amabok@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
newsFCDF4F2-57A1-4A2E-A55E-FC8F90724522@microsoft.com...
> I've attemp to upgrade from XP Home edition to Vista Home premium. Before
> upgrade I ran the upgrade advisor check it indicated my pc to be ok and
> that
> no additional problems with programs, etc. It even indicated that my
> current
> graphics card as ok-no action required but during the upgrade it indicated
> that my display driver might have some compatibillity issues...
>
> The whole installation went fine and during the system's first logon
> attemp
> to vista, the system rebooted and gave me the option of starting win
> normally or in safe mode which I tried with no luck. Then I had to boot
> from
> disk and one of the options was to run repair program which I did and the
> repairing has been goin on for more than 12hrs but still no change has
> occured. Please help.
>
> Thanks

=?Utf-8?B?QW1hYm9r?=

Re: Installation problems with Vista Home Premium Upgrade
Will give that a try, thanks John

"John" wrote:

> I had the same options when installing ultimate but choose to "start windows
> normally". I've had no problem. Why don't you try to reboot and just boot
> normally?
>
> best of luck (all will go fine I trust)
>

> "Amabok" <Amabok@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> newsFCDF4F2-57A1-4A2E-A55E-FC8F90724522@microsoft.com...
> > I've attemp to upgrade from XP Home edition to Vista Home premium. Before
> > upgrade I ran the upgrade advisor check it indicated my pc to be ok and
> > that
> > no additional problems with programs, etc. It even indicated that my
> > current
> > graphics card as ok-no action required but during the upgrade it indicated
> > that my display driver might have some compatibillity issues...
> >
> > The whole installation went fine and during the system's first logon
> > attemp
> > to vista, the system rebooted and gave me the option of starting win
> > normally or in safe mode which I tried with no luck. Then I had to boot
> > from
> > disk and one of the options was to run repair program which I did and the
> > repairing has been goin on for more than 12hrs but still no change has
> > occured. Please help.
> >
> > Thanks

John

Re: Installation problems with Vista Home Premium Upgrade
Do let me know... I'm curious.

> Will give that a try, thanks John
>
> "John" wrote:
>
>> I had the same options when installing ultimate but choose to "start
>> windows
>> normally". I've had no problem. Why don't you try to reboot and just boot
>> normally?
>>
>> best of luck (all will go fine I trust)
>>

>> "Amabok" <Amabok@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> newsFCDF4F2-57A1-4A2E-A55E-FC8F90724522@microsoft.com...
>> > I've attemp to upgrade from XP Home edition to Vista Home premium.
>> > Before
>> > upgrade I ran the upgrade advisor check it indicated my pc to be ok and
>> > that
>> > no additional problems with programs, etc. It even indicated that my
>> > current
>> > graphics card as ok-no action required but during the upgrade it
>> > indicated
>> > that my display driver might have some compatibillity issues...
>> >
>> > The whole installation went fine and during the system's first logon
>> > attemp
>> > to vista, the system rebooted and gave me the option of starting win
>> > normally or in safe mode which I tried with no luck. Then I had to boot
>> > from
>> > disk and one of the options was to run repair program which I did and
>> > the
>> > repairing has been goin on for more than 12hrs but still no change has
>> > occured. Please help.
>> >
>> > Thanks

Top

Re: Installation problems with Vista Home Premium Upgrade
Here's something you might want to read,
http://www.instantvista.com/windows-vista-upgrade.html
as with everything YMMV

Ed

=?Utf-8?B?QW1hYm9r?= <Amabok@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
in news:E01B29D2-60BE-42D7-B1BD-967139227C8E@microsoft.com:

> Will give that a try, thanks John
>
>"John" wrote:
>
>> I had the same options when installing ultimate but choose
>> to "start windows normally". I've had no problem. Why don't
>> you try to reboot and just boot normally?
>>
>> best of luck (all will go fine I trust)
>>

>> "Amabok" <Amabok@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>> message
>> newsFCDF4F2-57A1-4A2E-A55E-FC8F90724522@microsoft.com...
>> > I've attemp to upgrade from XP Home edition to Vista Home
>> > premium. Before upgrade I ran the upgrade advisor check
>> > it indicated my pc to be ok and that
>> > no additional problems with programs, etc. It even
>> > indicated that my current
>> > graphics card as ok-no action required but during the
>> > upgrade it indicated that my display driver might have
>> > some compatibillity issues...
>> >
>> > The whole installation went fine and during the system's
>> > first logon attemp
>> > to vista, the system rebooted and gave me the option of
>> > starting win normally or in safe mode which I tried with
>> > no luck. Then I had to boot from
>> > disk and one of the options was to run repair program
>> > which I did and the repairing has been goin on for more
>> > than 12hrs but still no change has occured. Please help.
>> >
>> > Thanks

=?Utf-8?B?QW1hYm9r?=

Re: Installation problems with Vista Home Premium Upgrade
John, boot normally did not work either.
Another question...During my first installation attemp, I entered my product
key and selected automatic activation. Because the installation did not
finish (failed during first reboot after installation process were done) will
my copy be activated or does it only activate it after you successfully login
to vista the first time? I would like to try the "clean install" option but
not sure if my copy was activated or not.
Thanks

"Top" wrote:

> Here's something you might want to read,
> http://www.instantvista.com/windows-vista-upgrade.html
> as with everything YMMV
>
> Ed
>

> =?Utf-8?B?QW1hYm9r?= <Amabok@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
> in news:E01B29D2-60BE-42D7-B1BD-967139227C8E@microsoft.com:
>
> > Will give that a try, thanks John
> >
> >"John" wrote:
> >
> >> I had the same options when installing ultimate but choose
> >> to "start windows normally". I've had no problem. Why don't
> >> you try to reboot and just boot normally?
> >>
> >> best of luck (all will go fine I trust)
> >>

> >> "Amabok" <Amabok@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> >> message
> >> newsFCDF4F2-57A1-4A2E-A55E-FC8F90724522@microsoft.com...

=?Utf-8?B?TWF4IEtfTkM=?=

Re: Installation problems with Vista Home Premium Upgrade
Amabok, I had the EXACT same problem as you. It was installing and I went
to take a quick shower right after it started the install, I came back and it
was rebooting, but then said the previous reboot had failed and it wanted to
know how it wanted me to continue. No matter what option I chose it wouldnt
work. Eventually I had to install on a different partition and reformat the
other partitions (including the first partition my winXP was on originally).
Now, my vista is working fine, but it won't let me activate my version,
because I bought the upgrade and my key is for the upgrade but I had to
install a clean copy on a different partition because the setup ruined the
partition my winxp was on!
Does anyone know how to activate my winVISTA somehow or what might have
happened??!?!

"Amabok" wrote:

> John, boot normally did not work either.
> Another question...During my first installation attemp, I entered my product
> key and selected automatic activation. Because the installation did not
> finish (failed during first reboot after installation process were done) will
> my copy be activated or does it only activate it after you successfully login
> to vista the first time? I would like to try the "clean install" option but
> not sure if my copy was activated or not.
> Thanks
>
> "Top" wrote:
>
> > Here's something you might want to read,
> > http://www.instantvista.com/windows-vista-upgrade.html
> > as with everything YMMV
> >
> > Ed
> >

> > =?Utf-8?B?QW1hYm9r?= <Amabok@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
> > in news:E01B29D2-60BE-42D7-B1BD-967139227C8E@microsoft.com:
> >
> > > Will give that a try, thanks John

John

Re: Installation problems with Vista Home Premium Upgrade
You only are activated once you get fully installed and then head over to
Microsoft.com and do some guided surfing.... you will know when you are
activated. Because I got my copy a few days ahead of time I choose not to
activate during install and waited a few days. I think the 'clean install
option sounds reasonable for you.

graymoore@gmail.com

On Feb 1, 9:42 pm, Amabok <Ama...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> John, boot normally did not work either.
> Another question...During my firstinstallationattemp, I entered my product
> key and selected automatic activation. Because theinstallationdid not
> finish (failed during first reboot afterinstallationprocess were done) will
> my copy be activated or does it only activate it after you successfully login
> tovistathe first time? I would like to try the "clean install" option but
> not sure if my copy was activated or not.
> Thanks
>
> "Top" wrote:
> > Here's something you might want to read,
> >http://www.instantvista.com/windows-vista-upgrade.html
> > as with everything YMMV

> > Ed

> > =?Utf-8?B?QW1hYm9r?= <Ama...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
> > innews:E01B29D2-60BE-42D7-B1BD-967139227C8E@microsoft.com:

> > > Will give that a try, thanks John

Amok,

I had the exact same problem on my new Inspiron 6400 with vista basic
installed. I spoke with dell Tech support for 3 hours, they referred
me to Microsoft. I then spoke with Microsoft and they could not fix it
( 3 more hours). I called Dell again and spoke with an american guy
and I told him to shoot me straight. He said for me to wait a month or
so until they release a patch and that they are aware of my (our)
problem. So Ifinally I called Microsoft back and demanded a refund
for the premium upgrade I bought. They obliged and now I am just
sticking with Vista Basic.If you find the fix please let me know.
thanls