Windows Vista Ultimate Lock-Ups

=?Utf-8?B?SmVzc2UgSmFtZXMgSm9obnN0b24=?=

Windows Vista Ultimate Lock-Ups
I am running a Voodoo Envy a:228 notebook with the AMD Turion TL-60 X2 dual
core processor, 2 GB of high speed RAM, 100 gig 7200rpm HDD, 128MB video
card, integrated sound, etc...
The problem I am having is with Windows Vista Ultimate x64 - when installing
the software, everything ran smoothly until the hardware detection wizard
shortly after having created my user account. Half way through the detection
process, the machine locked up and refused to respond, but left untouched,
came back to life about 10 minutes later and successfully finished the
process.
I now experience the exact same problem at almost every step of the way when
using the operating system. After seeing the Microsoft Corporation load
screen on boot, I see a black screen with a movable cursor for 10 seconds
until the screen goes black and locks up for 10 minutes, eventually returning
with the log in screen. After typing in my password and hitting enter, the
machine locks up again for 10 minutes before coming back and showing my
desktop. This same process continues as I request any single thing from the
machine, such as opening a folder, program, etc.
I have installed the Vista drivers for my hardware and everything seems to
be running fine in the device manager, but I still have the same problem. I
can boot into safe mode and use the entire OS perfectly, so I am suspicious
that it is a driver related issue. If anyone could help me out with this, I
would greatly appreciate it.
-Jesse James
Richard Urban

Re: Windows Vista Ultimate Lock-Ups
I would suspect video drivers for the problem. Just because you have the
latest from the manufacturer doesn't mean they are the best. I had to revert
to the drivers that were included with Vista for my Nvidia 6600 card. The
new Nvidia drivers would keep going into a "not responding" mode and the
computer would have to recover. This does not occur with the original
drivers.

--

Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from George Ankner:

"Jesse James Johnston" <Jesse James Johnston@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote in message news:B17C6C9F-7389-4B51-B4AF-10658816246F@microsoft.com...
>I am running a Voodoo Envy a:228 notebook with the AMD Turion TL-60 X2 dual
> core processor, 2 GB of high speed RAM, 100 gig 7200rpm HDD, 128MB video
> card, integrated sound, etc...
> The problem I am having is with Windows Vista Ultimate x64 - when
> installing
> the software, everything ran smoothly until the hardware detection wizard
> shortly after having created my user account. Half way through the
> detection
> process, the machine locked up and refused to respond, but left untouched,
> came back to life about 10 minutes later and successfully finished the
> process.
> I now experience the exact same problem at almost every step of the way
> when
> using the operating system. After seeing the Microsoft Corporation load
> screen on boot, I see a black screen with a movable cursor for 10 seconds
> until the screen goes black and locks up for 10 minutes, eventually
> returning
> with the log in screen. After typing in my password and hitting enter,
> the
> machine locks up again for 10 minutes before coming back and showing my
> desktop. This same process continues as I request any single thing from
> the
> machine, such as opening a folder, program, etc.
> I have installed the Vista drivers for my hardware and everything seems to
> be running fine in the device manager, but I still have the same problem.
> can boot into safe mode and use the entire OS perfectly, so I am
> suspicious
> that it is a driver related issue. If anyone could help me out with this,
> would greatly appreciate it.
> -Jesse James

=?Utf-8?B?SmVzc2UgSmFtZXMgSm9obnN0b24=?=

Re: Windows Vista Ultimate Lock-Ups
The drivers that came with Windows Vista properly recognized my video card
and so fourth, but this was when the problem was originally occuring - I then
concluded that the drivers from Vista must be flawed, so I updated them with
ATI's Vista x64 drivers. My fear is that x86 version will work with my
machine and now the x64 Vista, I haven't tried the install but fear I might
have to. When I spoke with Microsoft yesterday, a senior tech concluded that
my video drivers were most likely responsible, but the update didn't help.
Any other suggestions?
-Jesse James