Upgrade to Vista Home Premium x64 from XP Media Center x32?

=?Utf-8?B?QnJpYW4gU2NobWl0eg==?=

Upgrade to Vista Home Premium x64 from XP Media Center x32?
Hi All,

Just checking to see how I go about upgrading to the x64 bit edition of
Vista Home Premium from my current x32 bit edition of XP Media Center 2005?
I bought a PC about two months ago running AMD Athlon x64 dual core 5000+
processors, but it was preinstalled with the aforementioned x32 bit edition
of XP Media Center 2005. I'd like to take advantage of the x64 bit
architecture, so I need to know if I have to first install the upgrade to the
x32 bit edition of Vista Home Premium and then to the x64 bit edition of
Vista Home Premium or if I can do a direct upgrade to the x64 bit edition of
Vista Home Premium. Any thoughts? Thanks for the help!

Brian
CharlesE

Re: Upgrade to Vista Home Premium x64 from XP Media Center x32?
You can't get here from there.

You can run setup, but Upgrade will be grayed out for and 32-bit to 64-bit
choice.
At some point you will need to choose "custom" and do a clean install.

I would transfer stuff using Windows Easy Transfer on the DVD and then
install the 64-bit version.
Make sure your hardware has 64-bit drivers.

CharlesE

"Brian Schmitz" <Brian Schmitz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi All,
>
> Just checking to see how I go about upgrading to the x64 bit edition of
> Vista Home Premium from my current x32 bit edition of XP Media Center
> 2005?
> I bought a PC about two months ago running AMD Athlon x64 dual core 5000+
> processors, but it was preinstalled with the aforementioned x32 bit
> edition
> of XP Media Center 2005. I'd like to take advantage of the x64 bit
> architecture, so I need to know if I have to first install the upgrade to
> the
> x32 bit edition of Vista Home Premium and then to the x64 bit edition of
> Vista Home Premium or if I can do a direct upgrade to the x64 bit edition
> of
> Vista Home Premium. Any thoughts? Thanks for the help!
>
> Brian

=?Utf-8?B?QnJpYW4gU2NobWl0eg==?=

Re: Upgrade to Vista Home Premium x64 from XP Media Center x32?
Sorry, but your message is unclear. What is the best route to upgrade from
x32 XP Media Center 2005 (XP MC2005) to x64 Vista Home Premium (VHP)? Is it:

1. x32 XP MC2005 -> x32 VHP -> x64 VHP
or
2. x32 XP MC2005 -> x64 VHP

Thanks.
Brian

"CharlesE" wrote:

> You can't get here from there.
>
> You can run setup, but Upgrade will be grayed out for and 32-bit to 64-bit
> choice.
> At some point you will need to choose "custom" and do a clean install.
>
> I would transfer stuff using Windows Easy Transfer on the DVD and then
> install the 64-bit version.
> Make sure your hardware has 64-bit drivers.
>
> CharlesE
>

> "Brian Schmitz" <Brian Schmitz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi All,
> >
> > Just checking to see how I go about upgrading to the x64 bit edition of
> > Vista Home Premium from my current x32 bit edition of XP Media Center
> > 2005?
> > I bought a PC about two months ago running AMD Athlon x64 dual core 5000+
> > processors, but it was preinstalled with the aforementioned x32 bit
> > edition
> > of XP Media Center 2005. I'd like to take advantage of the x64 bit
> > architecture, so I need to know if I have to first install the upgrade to
> > the
> > x32 bit edition of Vista Home Premium and then to the x64 bit edition of
> > Vista Home Premium or if I can do a direct upgrade to the x64 bit edition
> > of
> > Vista Home Premium. Any thoughts? Thanks for the help!
> >
> > Brian

Villain

Re: Upgrade to Vista Home Premium x64 from XP Media Center x32?
First, use the Easy Transfer tool from your Vista DVD to move your files to
a DVD (or a few of them, if needed).

Next, boot into XP, insert the Vista DVD and you will be told that you
cannot upgrade to the 64-bit version. This leaves you with the option to do
the 'Custom' or 'Clean' installation of Vista 64-bit, which you can do. As
long as your upgrade was started within XP, you will still be able to
complete the full installation.

Hope that this helps.

-Villain