Stuck on 21%

=?Utf-8?B?R2xlbg==?=

Stuck on 21%
Installing a Vista upgrade to my new Dell.

It has been stuck on the 'Expanding' stage at 21% for the past 10 hours.

I removed Nortons before installation, except for Ghost. Could that be the
problem?

cheers,
Glen

=?Utf-8?B?Uy5ILk0u?=

RE: Stuck on 21%
I am getting to the same point in my upgrade from xp media home ed. to vista
home premium. I was told by Tech support that I needed to uninstall my roxio
software that I use for my dvd/cd burning. Still not working. Tech support
says that they have had this come up a few times (stuck on 21%) and they are
working on it. I am waiting for them to call me back today to hopefully tell
me they fixed it and walk me through the problem. Cross your fingers!

"Glen" wrote:

> Installing a Vista upgrade to my new Dell.
>
> It has been stuck on the 'Expanding' stage at 21% for the past 10 hours.
>
> I removed Nortons before installation, except for Ghost. Could that be the
> problem?
>
> cheers,
> Glen

=?Utf-8?B?S2Vud29vZA==?=

RE: Stuck on 21%
I'm not sure how much it applies, but when doing a clean install of Home
Premium full, the expanding process would freeze at ~27% every time. What I
found is that I only have 16GB available while doing the install. After
freeing up space, the Vista install went smoothly.

"S.H.M." wrote:

> I am getting to the same point in my upgrade from xp media home ed. to vista
> home premium. I was told by Tech support that I needed to uninstall my roxio
> software that I use for my dvd/cd burning. Still not working. Tech support
> says that they have had this come up a few times (stuck on 21%) and they are
> working on it. I am waiting for them to call me back today to hopefully tell
> me they fixed it and walk me through the problem. Cross your fingers!
>
> "Glen" wrote:
>
> > Installing a Vista upgrade to my new Dell.
> >
> > It has been stuck on the 'Expanding' stage at 21% for the past 10 hours.
> >
> > I removed Nortons before installation, except for Ghost. Could that be the
> > problem?
> >
> > cheers,
> > Glen

=?Utf-8?B?UGltcFR3enQ=?=

RE: Stuck on 21%
I had the same problem when I was Beta Testing Vista. It turned out being a
bad memory stick. Go get memtest86+ and do at least 3 passes one memory stick
at a time. You could have a small problem with one of you RAM sticks and that
is what is making it hang. Others had the same problem.

"Kenwood" wrote:

> I'm not sure how much it applies, but when doing a clean install of Home
> Premium full, the expanding process would freeze at ~27% every time. What I
> found is that I only have 16GB available while doing the install. After
> freeing up space, the Vista install went smoothly.
>
> "S.H.M." wrote:
>
> > I am getting to the same point in my upgrade from xp media home ed. to vista
> > home premium. I was told by Tech support that I needed to uninstall my roxio
> > software that I use for my dvd/cd burning. Still not working. Tech support
> > says that they have had this come up a few times (stuck on 21%) and they are
> > working on it. I am waiting for them to call me back today to hopefully tell
> > me they fixed it and walk me through the problem. Cross your fingers!
> >
> > "Glen" wrote:
> >
> > > Installing a Vista upgrade to my new Dell.
> > >
> > > It has been stuck on the 'Expanding' stage at 21% for the past 10 hours.
> > >
> > > I removed Nortons before installation, except for Ghost. Could that be the
> > > problem?
> > >
> > > cheers,
> > > Glen

=?Utf-8?B?Uy5ILk0u?=

RE: Stuck on 21%
Thanks for the help "Kenwood" (I grew up there on greene st) and "PimpTwzt"....

I have 259 GB free and I hope I don't have a problem with a RAM stick my
computer is only 1 1/2 months old. I should of waited huh..lol.

Anyways back to the point tech support told me it is a problem with people
who have XP media ed. 2005. They want me to do a clean install instead of an
upgrade and there are no guarantees that this will work. So I will lose
everything i have on my computer and I still don't know if it will work. They
told me to work on doing data backup and they would call me the next
afternoon (today) to walk me through the install process. I told that nice
woman that she was crazy if she thought I was going to put over 1000 pictures
and over 2500 songs on back up cd not to mention all of my other files and
documents. So bottom line is the only other option I was told I had was to
just wait until they fix the problem with the upgrade.... Who knows how long
that is! Thanks to all that have responded... Any other ideas....please help!

"PimpTwzt" wrote:

> I had the same problem when I was Beta Testing Vista. It turned out being a
> bad memory stick. Go get memtest86+ and do at least 3 passes one memory stick
> at a time. You could have a small problem with one of you RAM sticks and that
> is what is making it hang. Others had the same problem.
>
> "Kenwood" wrote:
>
> > I'm not sure how much it applies, but when doing a clean install of Home
> > Premium full, the expanding process would freeze at ~27% every time. What I
> > found is that I only have 16GB available while doing the install. After
> > freeing up space, the Vista install went smoothly.
> >
> > "S.H.M." wrote:
> >
> > > I am getting to the same point in my upgrade from xp media home ed. to vista
> > > home premium. I was told by Tech support that I needed to uninstall my roxio
> > > software that I use for my dvd/cd burning. Still not working. Tech support
> > > says that they have had this come up a few times (stuck on 21%) and they are
> > > working on it. I am waiting for them to call me back today to hopefully tell
> > > me they fixed it and walk me through the problem. Cross your fingers!

Bob

Re: Stuck on 21%
You've been lucky so far that you haven't lost all your pictures, songs and
documents with no backup. We learned the hard way a long time ago all it
takes is for your hard drive to hiccup...once..ask my wife! I have over
16,000 pictures, thousands of documents, tax returns etc., and everything is
backed up. Although we did change to DVDs for backup a year or so ago. Media
is cheap...time is irrelevant when it comes to your pictures which you'll
never see again when it happens...not if. My mother in law passed away
yesterday morning suddenly. While we were at the hospital saying goodbye the
first thing my wife said when I walked into the room was "when you get home
the first thing you do is back up all our pictures again". They can't be
replaced....ever... period.
Good luck,
Bob
"S.H.M." <SHM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Thanks for the help "Kenwood" (I grew up there on greene st) and
> "PimpTwzt"....
>
> I have 259 GB free and I hope I don't have a problem with a RAM stick my
> computer is only 1 1/2 months old. I should of waited huh..lol.
>
> Anyways back to the point tech support told me it is a problem with people
> who have XP media ed. 2005. They want me to do a clean install instead of
> an
> upgrade and there are no guarantees that this will work. So I will lose
> everything i have on my computer and I still don't know if it will work.
> They
> told me to work on doing data backup and they would call me the next
> afternoon (today) to walk me through the install process. I told that nice
> woman that she was crazy if she thought I was going to put over 1000
> pictures
> and over 2500 songs on back up cd not to mention all of my other files and
> documents. So bottom line is the only other option I was told I had was to
> just wait until they fix the problem with the upgrade.... Who knows how
> long
> that is! Thanks to all that have responded... Any other ideas....please
> help!
>

> "PimpTwzt" wrote:
>
>> I had the same problem when I was Beta Testing Vista. It turned out being
>> bad memory stick. Go get memtest86+ and do at least 3 passes one memory
>> stick
>> at a time. You could have a small problem with one of you RAM sticks and
>> that
>> is what is making it hang. Others had the same problem.
>>
>> "Kenwood" wrote:
>>
>> > I'm not sure how much it applies, but when doing a clean install of
>> > Premium full, the expanding process would freeze at ~27% every time.
>> > What I
>> > found is that I only have 16GB available while doing the install.
>> > After
>> > freeing up space, the Vista install went smoothly.

=?Utf-8?B?QnJpYW4gUw==?=

RE: Stuck on 21%
I am receiving this same error. It is driving me crazy. It uncompresses or
whatever to 21%, then reboots the machine. Then Uncompresses to 21% again and
then just sits there staring at me. Why cant a Microsoft product ever install
easily.