You CAN do a Clean Install with the Upgrade Version - NO XP install Needed

mail

Re: You CAN do a Clean Install with the Upgrade Version - NO XP instal
test

Jharrix wrote:

> Question for you. How do you run the install from within Windows

Zim Babwe

You CAN do a Clean Install with the Upgrade Version - NO XP install Needed

When you first encounter this prompt for your product key, just hit next and
proceed with setup.

Choose which version of Windows you have purchased, check the box and click
Next.

Once the first install of Vista is completed and you start the second
install from within Vista, you'll need to enter your product key.

Choose "Custom (advanced)" to perform a clean install.

Once the second install of Vista has been completed, you can activtate your
installation through Microsoft.
Microsoft internal documentation reveals workaround for Vista Upgrade DVDs
with no need for a previous version of Windows

Just when everyone thought that all hope was lost when it comes to
performing a clean install with a Windows Vista Upgrade DVD, a gleam of
light can now be seen at the end of the tunnel. A new workaround proposed by
Paul Thurrott (via Microsoft internal documents) has been confirmed to work
by DailyTech.

We reported on Monday that Microsoft doesn't perform disc checking anymore
during an operating system install. In the past, when performing a clean
install, a user could boot from an install CD and insert a disc from a
previous version of Windows for upgrade compliance.

Per Microsoft's new licensing requirements for Vista, users are required to
install a Windows Vista Upgrade from within Windows XP. When this occurs,
the Windows XP license is forfeited and the Windows Vista installation
process can take place.

Now, however, this workaround allows users to perform a "clean install." The
process is a bit tedious, but is not hard at all to complete. Users have to
perform these simple steps to perform a clean install of Vista without a
previous version of Windows installed with an upgrade DVD:

1.. Boot from the Windows Vista Upgrade DVD and start the setup program.

2.. When prompted to enter your product key, DO NOT enter it. Click "Next"
and proceed with setup. This will install Windows Vista as a 30-day trial.

3.. When prompted, select the edition of Vista which you have purchased
and continue with setup.

4.. Once setup has been completed and you have been brought to the desktop
for the first time, run the install program from within Windows Vista.

5.. This time, type in your product key when prompted.

6.. When asked whether to perform an Upgrade or Custom (advanced) install,
choose Custom (advanced) to perform a clean install of Vista. Yes, this
means that you will have to install Vista for a second time.

7.. Once setup has completed for the second time, you should be able to
activate Windows Vista normally. You can also delete the Windows.old
directory which contains information from the first Vista install.

There's no telling why Microsoft left this loophole wide open with Windows
Vista Upgrade DVDs, but this means that any retail upgrade DVD can be used
as a fully functioning full retail copy of Vista.

=?Utf-8?B?SmhhcnJpeA==?=

RE: You CAN do a Clean Install with the Upgrade Version - NO XP instal
Question for you. How do you run the install from within Windows Vista? I
tried a similar situation but it did not install. see my response from "XP
Media Center To Vista Ultimate" on 1/30/07. But basically bought the upgrade
wouldn't install, Microsoft tech said to do a clean install and it all worked
but when I tried to activate the product key an error came back saying I
could not us this product key due to the fact that it was a "Clean Install".
So the tech said to get around this was to perform a new "Upgrade install" on
top of the new Vista "clean install" that I did thus tricking the product key
activation and would activate based on a upgrade install. Well the upgrade
didn't work and the cpu reverted back to the Clean Install which I can't
activate. Do you think I should try and reinstall it one more time, enter
the product key and choose complete (advanced)?

"Zim Babwe" wrote:

> [...]
> for the first time, run the install program from within Windows Vista.
>
> 5.. This time, type in your product key when prompted.
>
> 6.. When asked whether to perform an Upgrade or Custom (advanced) install,
> choose Custom (advanced) to perform a clean install of Vista. Yes, this
> means that you will have to install Vista for a second time.
>
> 7.. Once setup has completed for the second time, you should be able to
> activate Windows Vista normally. You can also delete the Windows.old
> directory which contains information from the first Vista install.
>
> There's no telling why Microsoft left this loophole wide open with Windows
> Vista Upgrade DVDs, but this means that any retail upgrade DVD can be used
> as a fully functioning full retail copy of Vista

=?Utf-8?B?SmhhcnJpeA==?=

Re: You CAN do a Clean Install with the Upgrade Version - NO XP in
If your one word reply with "test" is to actually spend 45 minutes to an hour
of an installation that may or may not work or have some ill side effect of
an installation that has already shown signs of not working, then you might
understand if I waited for a more credit worthy response besides test. But
thank you for your input.

"mail" wrote:

> test
>
> Jharrix wrote:
> >
> > Question for you. How do you run the install from within Windows

=?Utf-8?B?Wm9pZQ==?=

RE: You CAN do a Clean Install with the Upgrade Version - NO XP instal
How do you run the install from Windows Vista? Where is the setup.exe program
located (because it's not the one from the DVD, according to the
instructions).

"Zim Babwe" wrote:

> [...]
> for the first time, run the install program from within Windows Vista.
>
> 5.. This time, type in your product key when prompted.
>
> 6.. When asked whether to perform an Upgrade or Custom (advanced) install,
> choose Custom (advanced) to perform a clean install of Vista. Yes, this
> means that you will have to install Vista for a second time.
>
> 7.. Once setup has completed for the second time, you should be able to
> activate Windows Vista normally. You can also delete the Windows.old
> directory which contains information from the first Vista install.
>
> There's no telling why Microsoft left this loophole wide open with Windows
> Vista Upgrade DVDs, but this means that any retail upgrade DVD can be used
> as a fully functioning full retail copy of Vista

=?Utf-8?B?SmhhcnJpeA==?=

RE: You CAN do a Clean Install with the Upgrade Version - NO XP in
What I did was open the DVD drive and closed it again and let the auto run
feature start it and did exactly what Zim said and it worked like a charm! Do
a second clean install and input the product key at the beginning of the
second install and choose complete install.

"Zoie" wrote:

> [...]
> > for the first time, run the install program from within Windows Vista.
> >
> > 5.. This time, type in your product key when prompted.
> >
> > 6.. When asked whether to perform an Upgrade or Custom (advanced) install,
> > choose Custom (advanced) to perform a clean install of Vista. Yes, this
> > means that you will have to install Vista for a second time.
> >
> > 7.. Once setup has completed for the second time, you should be able to
> > activate Windows Vista normally. You can also delete the Windows.old
> > directory which contains information from the first Vista install.
> >
> > There's no telling why Microsoft left this loophole wide open with Windows
> > Vista Upgrade DVDs, but this means that any retail upgrade DVD can be used
> > as a fully functioning full retail copy of Vista

=?Utf-8?B?Wm9pZQ==?=

RE: You CAN do a Clean Install with the Upgrade Version - NO XP in
Thank you very much! I did this and it worked! Now I have my original key
activated. I noticed that I have 2 folders in my computer with the names
Windows.old ( due to the installation on top of the first Vista
installation) Did you get rid of the first folder or the second one? I want
to keep one for a while, just in case. Since I had a lot of stuff in Windows
XP each folder is about 66GB