Differences between Windows Vista Home Premuim Upgrade and Windows Vista Home Premuim Upgrade OEM

thecreator

Differences between Windows Vista Home Premuim Upgrade and Windows Vista Home Premuim Upgrade OEM
Hi All,

What is the difference between Windows Vista Home Premuim Upgrade DVD
and Windows Vista Home Premuim Upgrade DVD OEM which is advertised cheaper
than the Retail versions in the Stores?

--
thecreator

Donald L McDaniel

Re: Differences between Windows Vista Home Premuim Upgrade and Windows Vista Home Premuim Upgrade OEM
On Wed, 31 Jan 2007 12:27:47 -0500, "thecreator" <thecreator@home.com>
wrote:

>Hi All,
>
> What is the difference between Windows Vista Home Premuim Upgrade DVD
>and Windows Vista Home Premuim Upgrade DVD OEM which is advertised cheaper
>than the Retail versions in the Stores?

There is no such thing as "Vista Upgrade DVD OEM media".
ALL "Vista OEM media" is licensed according to the Windows OEM
license, while ALL "upgrade media" is licensed according to the
Windows Upgrade license. OEM keys will NOT work with "upgrade media",
nor will "upgrade media" work with "OEM" keys.

Obviously, you misunderstand the meaning of "Upgrade media", as well
as the meaning of "OEM media".

This is because of the confusion caused by many dishonest retailers
who consistently advertise "OEM media" as "Upgrade OEM" or mix the two
terms to try to hood-wink their less-knowledgeable customers.

OEM media will NOT do an in-place "upgrade" of a previous version of
Windows. It MUST ALWAYS be installed "clean".

"Retail Upgrade media" will perform "in-place upgrades" from a Windows
desktop.

Simple as that.

Donald L McDaniel
Please reply to the original thread and newsgroup
orthocross@comcast.invalid
Make me "valid" and you will "net" me.
Michael D

Re: Differences between Windows Vista Home Premuim Upgrade and Windows Vista Home Premuim Upgrade OEM
The Express Upgrades are OEM are they not?

"Donald L McDaniel" <orthocross@comcast.invalid> wrote in message
> On Wed, 31 Jan 2007 12:27:47 -0500, "thecreator" <thecreator@home.com>
> wrote:
>
>>Hi All,
>>
>> What is the difference between Windows Vista Home Premuim Upgrade DVD
>>and Windows Vista Home Premuim Upgrade DVD OEM which is advertised cheaper
>>than the Retail versions in the Stores?

> There is no such thing as "Vista Upgrade DVD OEM media".
> ALL "Vista OEM media" is licensed according to the Windows OEM
> license, while ALL "upgrade media" is licensed according to the
> Windows Upgrade license. OEM keys will NOT work with "upgrade media",
> nor will "upgrade media" work with "OEM" keys.
>
> Obviously, you misunderstand the meaning of "Upgrade media", as well
> as the meaning of "OEM media".
>
> This is because of the confusion caused by many dishonest retailers
> who consistently advertise "OEM media" as "Upgrade OEM" or mix the two
> terms to try to hood-wink their less-knowledgeable customers.
>
> OEM media will NOT do an in-place "upgrade" of a previous version of
> Windows. It MUST ALWAYS be installed "clean".
>
> "Retail Upgrade media" will perform "in-place upgrades" from a Windows
> desktop.
>
> Simple as that.
>
> Donald L McDaniel
> Please reply to the original thread and newsgroup
> orthocross@comcast.invalid
> Make me "valid" and you will "net" me.

Donald L McDaniel

Re: Differences between Windows Vista Home Premuim Upgrade and Windows Vista Home Premuim Upgrade OEM
On Thu, 1 Feb 2007 16:51:39 -0600, "Michael D"
<michaeldh8@hotmail.com> wrote:

>The Express Upgrades are OEM are they not?
>
>"Donald L McDaniel" <orthocross@comcast.invalid> wrote in message
>news:idq4s2paav3qvtpjs7tl3ks596nubbtcnl@4ax.com.. .
>> On Wed, 31 Jan 2007 12:27:47 -0500, "thecreator" <thecreator@home.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>Hi All,
>>>
>>> What is the difference between Windows Vista Home Premuim Upgrade DVD
>>>and Windows Vista Home Premuim Upgrade DVD OEM which is advertised cheaper
>>>than the Retail versions in the Stores?

>> There is no such thing as "Vista Upgrade DVD OEM media".
>> ALL "Vista OEM media" is licensed according to the Windows OEM
>> license, while ALL "upgrade media" is licensed according to the
>> Windows Upgrade license. OEM keys will NOT work with "upgrade media",
>> nor will "upgrade media" work with "OEM" keys.
>>
>> Obviously, you misunderstand the meaning of "Upgrade media", as well
>> as the meaning of "OEM media".
>>
>> This is because of the confusion caused by many dishonest retailers
>> who consistently advertise "OEM media" as "Upgrade OEM" or mix the two
>> terms to try to hood-wink their less-knowledgeable customers.
>>
>> OEM media will NOT do an in-place "upgrade" of a previous version of
>> Windows. It MUST ALWAYS be installed "clean".
>>
>> "Retail Upgrade media" will perform "in-place upgrades" from a Windows
>> desktop.
>>
>> Simple as that.
>>
>> Donald L McDaniel
>> Please reply to the original thread and newsgroup
>> orthocross@comcast.invalid
>> Make me "valid" and you will "net" me.

There is a large difference between "Express Upgrade (OEM)" and
"Upgrade OEM". The first one exists, while the second one does not.

Donald L McDaniel
Please reply to the original thread and newsgroup
orthocross@comcast.invalid
Make me "valid" and you will "net" me.
thecreator

Re: Differences between Windows Vista Home Premuim Upgrade and Windows Vista Home Premuim Upgrade OEM
Hi Donald L McDaniel and All,

Example of what I mean are with the links:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...CMP=AFC-PRONTO

Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit DSP OEM DVD

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...6&Sku=M17-2506

Windows Vista Home Premium Upgrade - DVD

Same Store or Dealer.

Do Hotfixes come from Microsoft Windows Update for both? Do you get
Hotfixes or downloads from Microsoft for the OEM Version, as you do from the
Upgrade version? This is what I am talking about.

--
thecreator

"Donald L McDaniel" <orthocross@comcast.invalid> wrote in message
> On Wed, 31 Jan 2007 12:27:47 -0500, "thecreator" <thecreator@home.com>
> wrote:
>
>>Hi All,
>>
>> What is the difference between Windows Vista Home Premuim Upgrade DVD
>>and Windows Vista Home Premuim Upgrade DVD OEM which is advertised cheaper
>>than the Retail versions in the Stores?

> There is no such thing as "Vista Upgrade DVD OEM media".
> ALL "Vista OEM media" is licensed according to the Windows OEM
> license, while ALL "upgrade media" is licensed according to the
> Windows Upgrade license. OEM keys will NOT work with "upgrade media",
> nor will "upgrade media" work with "OEM" keys.
>
> Obviously, you misunderstand the meaning of "Upgrade media", as well
> as the meaning of "OEM media".
>
> This is because of the confusion caused by many dishonest retailers
> who consistently advertise "OEM media" as "Upgrade OEM" or mix the two
> terms to try to hood-wink their less-knowledgeable customers.
>
> OEM media will NOT do an in-place "upgrade" of a previous version of
> Windows. It MUST ALWAYS be installed "clean".
>
> "Retail Upgrade media" will perform "in-place upgrades" from a Windows
> desktop.
>
> Simple as that.
>
> Donald L McDaniel
> Please reply to the original thread and newsgroup
> orthocross@comcast.invalid
> Make me "valid" and you will "net" me.

Michael D

Re: Differences between Windows Vista Home Premuim Upgrade and Windows Vista Home Premuim Upgrade OEM
Once installed both versions are identical (with updates/hotfixes), but the
OEM version is for a new computer installation or at least a system without
a previous OS installed and is not considered an upgrade. The non-OEM
version requires you to have either a version of XP or Win 2000 already
installed on your computer and is considered an upgrade. The only other
difference is that MS does not provide troubleshooting support for OEM
versions.

"thecreator" <thecreator@home.com> wrote in message
> Hi Donald L McDaniel and All,
>
> Example of what I mean are with the links:
>
> http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...CMP=AFC-PRONTO
>
> Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit DSP OEM DVD
>
> http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...6&Sku=M17-2506
>
> Windows Vista Home Premium Upgrade - DVD
>
> Same Store or Dealer.
>
> Do Hotfixes come from Microsoft Windows Update for both? Do you get
> Hotfixes or downloads from Microsoft for the OEM Version, as you do from
> the Upgrade version? This is what I am talking about.
>

> --
> thecreator
>

> "Donald L McDaniel" <orthocross@comcast.invalid> wrote in message
>> On Wed, 31 Jan 2007 12:27:47 -0500, "thecreator" <thecreator@home.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>Hi All,
>>>
>>> What is the difference between Windows Vista Home Premuim Upgrade DVD
>>>and Windows Vista Home Premuim Upgrade DVD OEM which is advertised
>>>cheaper
>>>than the Retail versions in the Stores?

>> There is no such thing as "Vista Upgrade DVD OEM media".
>> ALL "Vista OEM media" is licensed according to the Windows OEM
>> license, while ALL "upgrade media" is licensed according to the
>> Windows Upgrade license. OEM keys will NOT work with "upgrade media",
>> nor will "upgrade media" work with "OEM" keys.
>>
>> Obviously, you misunderstand the meaning of "Upgrade media", as well
>> as the meaning of "OEM media".
>>
>> This is because of the confusion caused by many dishonest retailers
>> who consistently advertise "OEM media" as "Upgrade OEM" or mix the two
>> terms to try to hood-wink their less-knowledgeable customers.
>>
>> OEM media will NOT do an in-place "upgrade" of a previous version of
>> Windows. It MUST ALWAYS be installed "clean".
>>
>> "Retail Upgrade media" will perform "in-place upgrades" from a Windows
>> desktop.
>>
>> Simple as that.
>>
>> Donald L McDaniel
>> Please reply to the original thread and newsgroup
>> orthocross@comcast.invalid
>> Make me "valid" and you will "net" me.

JW

Re: Differences between Windows Vista Home Premuim Upgrade and Windows Vista Home Premuim Upgrade OEM
Also the OEM version is sold separatly for 32 bit and 64 bit systems and the
license terms certainly implay that it can installed on only one system
which can have minor upgrades only just like the prebuilt systems you get
from the manufactuers where the product Key sticker in on the case since the
license is only for that system.
I have read posts that you can do and have done inplace upgrades of
existing 32 bit systems using the OEM version.