Upgrade to Vista Home Premium, Computer hangs on final reboot

=?Utf-8?B?aGVsaXgzMw==?=

Upgrade to Vista Home Premium, Computer hangs on final reboot
I’m trying to upgrade to Vista Home Premium. I ran the Microsoft upgrade
assessment tool before I started the upgrade and it said everything was ok
for the upgrade. When upgrading the system goes all the way through the
install to what I believe is the final reboot of the install and then hangs.
There is no recovery from this, and due to this the install can’t finish.
Does anyone have any ideas on this problem? Also I noticed that in another
post someone stated that you couldn’t do a clean install upgrade to XP Pro
with the upgrade disc. If this is the case when does the upgrade stop you
from proceeding? I ‘m running XP Pro which I installed over XP Home a few
years ago and my install seemed to go perfectly until the end. Could this
issue cause my computer to hang on the final reboot?

DeHart is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I borrowed this fix from another posting and it worked for me! I tried for 3 days to fix this issue until I found this. I was using a Dell Inspiron 1720. The drivers on Dell's site gave me what I needed during the install process. I do not know how originally posted the fix below but they are a life saver!

REAL SOLUTION FOUND

Your solution was an inventive one, however understanding why the error is happening might shed some light.

The problem is caused because you need to load your correct sata diver during the installation proccess. But there is a glitch here that traps alot of people:

After you load the driver from the setup, Vista continues to install, but later it needs to go back to the installation disk to get the drivers again (for whatever reason), it will NOT prompt you when it tries to do this, instead it just hangs, especially because people load the driver from the same DVDROM that they are loading Vista from.

After Vista copies files and reboots, put the Driver disk back in the DVDROM and during the "Completing Installation" It will search it automatically and get the drivers and continue with the install.

If you used a floppy (for whatever reason) for the drivers, after rebooting from the initial coping files part, put the floppy back in.

It is regrettable that MS doesn't handle this better, but alas that is the case. Follow this and your error will disapear.

I have seen many posts about this on the internet and people suggesting all sorts of crazy solutions. I feel sorry for the people that have tried them all and have become so frustrated at Vista over such an easy (yet unintuitive) resolution.

Good Luck!