OEM downgrade

adaptabl

OEM downgrade
MS allows OEM users to use a prior version of the OS instead of Vista with a
Vista licience(downgrade rights). How do I get an XP pro key to use with my
OEM Vista Bussiness licience?

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Re: OEM downgrade
Downgrade rights grant the right to use prior versions of Microsoft software.
You would actually have to own a copy of Windows XP and a genuine
Windows XP product key. The Windows Vista product key cannot be used
with a Windows XP CD.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"adaptabl" wrote:

MS allows OEM users to use a prior version of the OS instead of Vista with a
Vista licience(downgrade rights). How do I get an XP pro key to use with my
OEM Vista Bussiness licience?
adaptabl

Re: OEM downgrade
O.K. I have current computers with XP pro. I want to buy two new computers.
I plan on upgrading to Vista after we test our custom software. If I buy the
new computers with XP OEM. Do I install my current version of XP and current
product key and then call Microsoft to activate it? Will Microsoft activate
a key that is use on the current computer and also in use on two new
computers with valid Vista bininess keys attached to them?

> Downgrade rights grant the right to use prior versions of Microsoft
> software.
> You would actually have to own a copy of Windows XP and a genuine
> Windows XP product key. The Windows Vista product key cannot be used
> with a Windows XP CD.
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Shell/User

> "adaptabl" wrote:
>
> MS allows OEM users to use a prior version of the OS instead of Vista with
> Vista licience(downgrade rights). How do I get an XP pro key to use with
> my
> OEM Vista Bussiness licience?

Donald L McDaniel

Re: OEM downgrade
On Wed, 31 Jan 2007 09:30:17 -0500, "adaptabl" <adaptabl@mnsi.net>
wrote:

>O.K. I have current computers with XP pro. I want to buy two new computers.
>I plan on upgrading to Vista after we test our custom software. If I buy the
>new computers with XP OEM. Do I install my current version of XP and current
>product key and then call Microsoft to activate it? Will Microsoft activate
>a key that is use on the current computer and also in use on two new
>computers with valid Vista bininess keys attached to them?
>

>"Carey Frisch [MVP]" <cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> wrote in message
>> Downgrade rights grant the right to use prior versions of Microsoft
>> software.
>> You would actually have to own a copy of Windows XP and a genuine
>> Windows XP product key. The Windows Vista product key cannot be used
>> with a Windows XP CD.
>>
>> --
>> Carey Frisch
>> Microsoft MVP
>> Windows Shell/User
>>
>> --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>
>> "adaptabl" wrote:
>>
>> MS allows OEM users to use a prior version of the OS instead of Vista with
>> Vista licience(downgrade rights). How do I get an XP pro key to use with
>> my
>> OEM Vista Bussiness licience?

The rule is "One license, one computer". PERIOD
If your license is a Volume License, however, the rule is "one
License, 3 or more computers (depending on how many seats one
purchases),

ALL other licenses are "one license, one computer, no exceptions."

If you do not already own an XP Pro license, your ONLY recourse is to
purchase one. Microsoft is not in the habit of giving away product
keys for licenses you don't own. This is understandable, since they
are in the business of making money.

Donald L McDaniel
Please reply to the original thread and newsgroup
orthocross@comcast.invalid
Make me "valid" and you will "net" me.