XP Media Center To Vista Ultimate

=?Utf-8?B?QnJpZ3V5?=

XP Media Center To Vista Ultimate
I'm trying to upgrade from XP Media Center Edition (SP2) to Vista Ultimate
(32-bit DVD). I get all the way to the last step (Completing Upgrade) and get
to about 34%. I then get an error box that says that windows has encountered
an error (no error code given) and the installation can not continue and that
it will revert back to XP, which it does. I have a Dell XPS 600
with a Pentium D 3.2 Ghz processor with 2 GB of RAM. I have 2 80 GB hard
drives in a RAID 0 Array. I have completely uninstalled my McAfee Anti-Virus
program so it would not interfere. Any help would be appreciated!
Carey Frisch [MVP]

Re: XP Media Center To Vista Ultimate
Download and run the Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...deadvisor.mspx

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Briguy" wrote:

I'm trying to upgrade from XP Media Center Edition (SP2) to Vista Ultimate
(32-bit DVD). I get all the way to the last step (Completing Upgrade) and get
to about 34%. I then get an error box that says that windows has encountered
an error (no error code given) and the installation can not continue and that
it will revert back to XP, which it does. I have a Dell XPS 600
with a Pentium D 3.2 Ghz processor with 2 GB of RAM. I have 2 80 GB hard
drives in a RAID 0 Array. I have completely uninstalled my McAfee Anti-Virus
program so it would not interfere. Any help would be appreciated!
=?Utf-8?B?QnJpZ3V5?=

Re: XP Media Center To Vista Ultimate
I have run the advisor in the past and it says I should be able to run Vista.
The issues it identifies are issues that I may have problems with AFTER the
install.

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

> Download and run the Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor
> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...deadvisor.mspx
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Shell/User

> "Briguy" wrote:
>
> I'm trying to upgrade from XP Media Center Edition (SP2) to Vista Ultimate
> (32-bit DVD). I get all the way to the last step (Completing Upgrade) and get
> to about 34%. I then get an error box that says that windows has encountered
> an error (no error code given) and the installation can not continue and that
> it will revert back to XP, which it does. I have a Dell XPS 600
> with a Pentium D 3.2 Ghz processor with 2 GB of RAM. I have 2 80 GB hard
> drives in a RAID 0 Array. I have completely uninstalled my McAfee Anti-Virus
> program so it would not interfere. Any help would be appreciated!

=?Utf-8?B?SmhhcnJpeA==?=

Re: XP Media Center To Vista Ultimate
I had the exact same problem. Did the update advisor with no problem except
a few software after install problems. I have a 2005 MCE HP and was
upgrading to the Home premium. The first time I upgraded the CPU crashed
after getting about 50% of the completing installation process (last phase)
and kept rebooting wouldn't even boot in safe mode. I tried the repair
wizard and just kept going and going.... Called tech support and he couldn't
figure anything out as well and told him during the safe mode boot process it
would stop at a certain file and then reboot. He thought it might be the
hard drive tried scan disk and it was fine. Last thing we did was do a CLEAN
install and guess what it works BUT now my product key will not work "This
product key is only for upgrade not clean install", so now I am waiting to
hear back from someone else to rectify my problem and fix my product key
issue, I should not and will not buy a new product key when I did everything
correctly based on microsofts requirements and twice used the upgrade visor
to check the compatibilty, which was fine and then went with a "Microsofts
Tech Advisor" to install with a "clean" install. His last effort was then to
due a reinstall with the upgrade feature hopefully fixing ALL problems (makes
sense, upgrade whats been upgraded already after all it's the same files that
it will upgrade). DIDN'T WORK!! Got to the last phase again and went about
75% of the way through and then got the vista error message could not install
reverting back to previous windows version, WHICH IS VISTA!!!
Can someone explain that?!?!

Hope this helps but long story short no I am back to a working "clean"
install Vista that will not except my purchased product key. I guess I will
wait for their phone call and see what the say.

"Briguy" wrote:

> I have run the advisor in the past and it says I should be able to run Vista.
> The issues it identifies are issues that I may have problems with AFTER the
> install.
>
> "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:
>
> > Download and run the Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor
> > http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...deadvisor.mspx
> >
> > --
> > Carey Frisch
> > Microsoft MVP
> > Windows Shell/User
> >
> > --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> >
> > "Briguy" wrote:
> >
> > I'm trying to upgrade from XP Media Center Edition (SP2) to Vista Ultimate
> > (32-bit DVD). I get all the way to the last step (Completing Upgrade) and get
> > to about 34%. I then get an error box that says that windows has encountered
> > an error (no error code given) and the installation can not continue and that
> > it will revert back to XP, which it does. I have a Dell XPS 600
> > with a Pentium D 3.2 Ghz processor with 2 GB of RAM. I have 2 80 GB hard
> > drives in a RAID 0 Array. I have completely uninstalled my McAfee Anti-Virus
> > program so it would not interfere. Any help would be appreciated!

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Re: XP Media Center To Vista Ultimate
Contact Microsoft Windows Vista support for free installation assistance:
https://support.microsoft.com/oas/de...09&gprid=11734

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Briguy" wrote:

I have run the advisor in the past and it says I should be able to run Vista.
The issues it identifies are issues that I may have problems with AFTER the
install.

=?Utf-8?B?SmhhcnJpeA==?=

Re: XP Media Center To Vista Ultimate
I did, they were the ones that suggested what I did. I have replied to the
techs email to let him know the upgrade install of vista from vista did not
work. I do not believe that tech support can help me with the product key,
we talked to another department last night about the product key issue and I
am suppose to get a follow up phone call with in 24 to 48 hours to resolve
the key issue. To help speed things up he suggested, since Vista actually
installed, I should be able to upgrade it now (again upgrade from vista to
vista and shouldn't have any problems) and then the product key will register
and activate due to the fact that it was an upgrade install, but the upgrade
didn't work and reverted back to the "clean" install vista wich will not
activate. My concern now is fixing or getting a new product key so I can
activate vista, I should not have to purchase a new product key.

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

> Contact Microsoft Windows Vista support for free installation assistance:
> https://support.microsoft.com/oas/de...09&gprid=11734
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Shell/User

> "Briguy" wrote:
>
> I have run the advisor in the past and it says I should be able to run Vista.
> The issues it identifies are issues that I may have problems with AFTER the
> install.

=?Utf-8?B?Uml6em8=?=

RE: XP Media Center To Vista Ultimate
Can someone please help with his problem and now my problem as well.

I have an Alienware with a 650 intel, 320gbs (160x2 harddrives like his) 1GB
RAM, 1 evga 7800gtx512mb, xfi soundcard and windows xp media.

Im trying to Upgrade to the Ultimate Signature series. I got the one-care on
the xp, used it and the vista ultimate to upgrade the lastest everything and
deactivated it before i started the install. I have also used the vista
adviser 20 times and the vista dvd setup it said only that the nero7 was a
preinstall probelm which i removed and that the Nvidia driver 81.98 would be
an After install problem. And yet 3 install tries have all failed at the
Completing Upgrade part lastest % was at 68%, with an Error that is not given
saying "An error occur and the install failed and you will be reverted back
to your previous Wnidows", not exact but to that extent. I really do not want
to return the Sig edition for a regular upgrade and nor do i want to get the
Home premium that the advisor says bests fits.