Windows "old" folder?

Bob

Windows "old" folder?
Did the upgrade from XP PRO to Ultimate using a full retail and it appears
that my old Windows is in a folder titled: $WINDOWS.~Q, there is no Windows
old folder anywhere. There is also a folder $INPLACE.~TR and one titled
$Recycle.Bin . Is it safe to delete all three of these? Any reason to keep
any of them.
Thanks,
Bob

CharlesE

Re: Windows "old" folder?
When you do an upgrade you won't get a Windows.old folder.
These folders might be left if a file was in use during upgrade and it had
to stay unmigrated. Usually these are non-data files, but dig around and
see if there is anything before deleting.

Also, always put in the recycle bin first, reboot and then dump. Safety
Tip.

CharlesE

"Bob" <luna5nospam@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> Did the upgrade from XP PRO to Ultimate using a full retail and it appears
> that my old Windows is in a folder titled: $WINDOWS.~Q, there is no
> Windows old folder anywhere. There is also a folder $INPLACE.~TR and one
> titled $Recycle.Bin . Is it safe to delete all three of these? Any reason
> to keep any of them.
> Thanks,
> Bob

chris

Re: Windows "old" folder?

"CharlesE" wrote:

> When you do an upgrade you won't get a Windows.old folder.
> These folders might be left if a file was in use during upgrade and it had
> to stay unmigrated. Usually these are non-data files, but dig around and
> see if there is anything before deleting.
>
> Also, always put in the recycle bin first, reboot and then dump. Safety
> Tip.
>
> CharlesE
>
> "Bob" <luna5nospam@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> > Did the upgrade from XP PRO to Ultimate using a full retail and it appears
> > that my old Windows is in a folder titled: $WINDOWS.~Q, there is no
> > Windows old folder anywhere. There is also a folder $INPLACE.~TR and one
> > titled $Recycle.Bin . Is it safe to delete all three of these? Any reason
> > to keep any of them.
> > Thanks,
> > Bob

chris

Re: Windows "old" folder?
i can't delete widows.old how to do this .. thanks

"CharlesE" wrote:

> When you do an upgrade you won't get a Windows.old folder.
> These folders might be left if a file was in use during upgrade and it had
> to stay unmigrated. Usually these are non-data files, but dig around and
> see if there is anything before deleting.
>
> Also, always put in the recycle bin first, reboot and then dump. Safety
> Tip.
>
> CharlesE
>
> "Bob" <luna5nospam@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> > Did the upgrade from XP PRO to Ultimate using a full retail and it appears
> > that my old Windows is in a folder titled: $WINDOWS.~Q, there is no
> > Windows old folder anywhere. There is also a folder $INPLACE.~TR and one
> > titled $Recycle.Bin . Is it safe to delete all three of these? Any reason
> > to keep any of them.
> > Thanks,
> > Bob

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: Windows "old" folder?
Chris

Use the Disk Cleanup Wizard. See the following article for the step by step
procedure.

How to use the Disk Cleanup feature to delete the Windows.old folder after
you install Windows Vista:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/930527

--

Ronnie Vernon