come and go sound after install

Sometimes the sound works, the another time I log on it doesn't. Just gone,
nothing. No System sounds, no Media Player sound, nothing.

None of the sound test icons are grayed out, there's just no sound.

Help?

Thanks,
John

=?Utf-8?B?QnJpYW4gSHVudA==?=

RE: come and go sound after install
John,

What soundcard are you using? Have you checked if you have the latest Vista
drivers?

Brian.

"A" wrote:

> Sometimes the sound works, the another time I log on it doesn't. Just gone,
> nothing. No System sounds, no Media Player sound, nothing.
>
> None of the sound test icons are grayed out, there's just no sound.
>
> Help?
>
> Thanks,
> John

Bob

Re: come and go sound after install
I had the same thing here...no sound output even though there was no error
message for my hardware. I had to download the Vista ( beta now) drivers
from the Creative site for my Creative Audigy ZS and that took care of it.
So definitely get the manufacturer's drivers for your sound hardware.
Bob
"Brian Hunt" <BrianHunt@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> John,
>
> What soundcard are you using? Have you checked if you have the latest
> Vista
> drivers?
>
> Brian.
>
> "A" wrote:
>
>> Sometimes the sound works, the another time I log on it doesn't. Just
>> gone,
>> nothing. No System sounds, no Media Player sound, nothing.
>>
>> None of the sound test icons are grayed out, there's just no sound.
>>
>> Help?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> John

Re: come and go sound after install
one built into my amd motherboard. hp a1250n. didn't find any specific vista
drivers. trying a system restore now to see if that helps.

"Brian Hunt" <BrianHunt@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> John,
>
> What soundcard are you using? Have you checked if you have the latest
> Vista
> drivers?
>
> Brian.
>
> "A" wrote:
>
>> Sometimes the sound works, the another time I log on it doesn't. Just
>> gone,
>> nothing. No System sounds, no Media Player sound, nothing.
>>
>> None of the sound test icons are grayed out, there's just no sound.
>>
>> Help?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> John

Re: come and go sound after install
i'll go sleuthing again. thanks.

"Bob" <luna5nospam@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>I had the same thing here...no sound output even though there was no error
>message for my hardware. I had to download the Vista ( beta now) drivers
>from the Creative site for my Creative Audigy ZS and that took care of it.
>So definitely get the manufacturer's drivers for your sound hardware.
> Bob
> "Brian Hunt" <BrianHunt@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> John,
>>
>> What soundcard are you using? Have you checked if you have the latest
>> Vista
>> drivers?
>>
>> Brian.
>>
>> "A" wrote:
>>
>>> Sometimes the sound works, the another time I log on it doesn't. Just
>>> gone,
>>> nothing. No System sounds, no Media Player sound, nothing.
>>>
>>> None of the sound test icons are grayed out, there's just no sound.
>>>
>>> Help?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> John

Bob

Re: come and go sound after install
I would contact HP about a Vista driver. HP only has an XP driver for
download right now for your machine. There are other Realtek AC97 drivers
out there but it looks like there are a few flavors of that chipset around.
Did you check Windows Update for any downloads?
Bob
"A" <a@a.net> wrote in message news:ObVSvUTRHHA.4448@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
> i'll go sleuthing again. thanks.
>
> "Bob" <luna5nospam@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>>I had the same thing here...no sound output even though there was no error
>>message for my hardware. I had to download the Vista ( beta now) drivers
>>from the Creative site for my Creative Audigy ZS and that took care of it.
>>So definitely get the manufacturer's drivers for your sound hardware.
>> Bob
>> "Brian Hunt" <BrianHunt@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> John,
>>>
>>> What soundcard are you using? Have you checked if you have the latest
>>> Vista
>>> drivers?
>>>
>>> Brian.

Re: come and go sound after install
yeah, i checked windows update. several times.

This upgrade is just becoming one headache after another. I wish I hadn't
done it. But now I can't back out.

Thanks for your help.

>I would contact HP about a Vista driver. HP only has an XP driver for
>download right now for your machine. There are other Realtek AC97 drivers
>out there but it looks like there are a few flavors of that chipset around.
>Did you check Windows Update for any downloads?
> Bob
> "A" <a@a.net> wrote in message
>> i'll go sleuthing again. thanks.
>>
>> "Bob" <luna5nospam@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>>>I had the same thing here...no sound output even though there was no
>>>error message for my hardware. I had to download the Vista ( beta now)
>>>drivers from the Creative site for my Creative Audigy ZS and that took
>>>care of it. So definitely get the manufacturer's drivers for your sound
>>>hardware.
>>> Bob

Re: come and go sound after install
Thanks, but waiting for HP to do anything about drivers is useless. Finally
just bought a SoundBlaster card.