Clean install of upgrade Ultimate problem.

Greybeard

Clean install of upgrade Ultimate problem.
With XP Pro, during clean install, setup asks user to insert ME or 98 to
show owner qualifies for upgrade.

Tried to install Vista Ultimate upgrade as clean install. It never asked to
"see" my XP Pro copy, and when it got to "Pick drive for install" page it
said the registration code used (update) did not support the clean install
and would go no further. Did I miss something, or did MS go feral?

I tried to install XP Pro to new raid 0 array, but it refuses to see the
drive array during installation, even though it is visible on bios and at
boot.

Will I need to add a non-raid SATA drive, install XP Pro to that, overwrite
with Vista Ultimate, then somehow copy that full data to the raid 0 striped
array?

Seems excessive.

And... why does my I.P. show this ng as empty? No other install problems?

BigJim

Re: Clean install of upgrade Ultimate problem.
yep I think you missed something, can/t do a full clean install from vista
upgrade disk.

"Greybeard" <noway@jose.com> wrote in message
> With XP Pro, during clean install, setup asks user to insert ME or 98 to
> show owner qualifies for upgrade.
>
> Tried to install Vista Ultimate upgrade as clean install. It never asked
> to "see" my XP Pro copy, and when it got to "Pick drive for install" page
> it said the registration code used (update) did not support the clean
> install and would go no further. Did I miss something, or did MS go
> feral?
>
> I tried to install XP Pro to new raid 0 array, but it refuses to see the
> drive array during installation, even though it is visible on bios and at
> boot.
>
> Will I need to add a non-raid SATA drive, install XP Pro to that,
> overwrite with Vista Ultimate, then somehow copy that full data to the
> raid 0 striped array?
>
> Seems excessive.
>
> And... why does my I.P. show this ng as empty? No other install
> problems?

Ken

Re: Clean install of upgrade Ultimate problem.

Did you start installation from within xp pro? or boot up from disk? Because
someone on a local messageboard claimed that he was able to choose a
different partition than xp was on after he typed in his key and perform a
clean install with an upgrade key and dualboot. This was after he started
setup from within xp. I still dont beleive him lol

Ken

"Greybeard" <noway@jose.com> wrote in message
> With XP Pro, during clean install, setup asks user to insert ME or 98 to
> show owner qualifies for upgrade.
>
> Tried to install Vista Ultimate upgrade as clean install. It never asked
> to "see" my XP Pro copy, and when it got to "Pick drive for install" page
> it said the registration code used (update) did not support the clean
> install and would go no further. Did I miss something, or did MS go
> feral?
>
> I tried to install XP Pro to new raid 0 array, but it refuses to see the
> drive array during installation, even though it is visible on bios and at
> boot.
>
> Will I need to add a non-raid SATA drive, install XP Pro to that,
> overwrite with Vista Ultimate, then somehow copy that full data to the
> raid 0 striped array?
>
> Seems excessive.
>
> And... why does my I.P. show this ng as empty? No other install
> problems?

Ken

Re: Clean install of upgrade Ultimate problem.
By the way he chose custom install to do this

Ken

dstepper@gmail.com

On Jan 31, 1:27 am, "Ken" <notf...@sothere.com> wrote:
> By the way he chose custom install to do this
>
> Ken
>
> "Ken" <notf...@sothere.com> wrote in message

> > Did you start installation from within xp pro? or boot up from disk?
> > Because someone on a local messageboard claimed that he was able to choose
> > a different partition than xp was on after he typed in his key and perform
> > a clean install with an upgrade key and dualboot. This was after he
> > started setup from within xp. I still dont beleive him lol

> > Ken

> > "Greybeard" <n...@jose.com> wrote in message
> >> With XP Pro, during clean install, setup asks user to insert ME or 98 to
> >> show owner qualifies for upgrade.

> >> Tried to install Vista Ultimate upgrade as clean install. It never asked
> >> to "see" my XP Pro copy, and when it got to "Pick drive for install" page
> >> it said the registration code used (update) did not support the clean
> >> install and would go no further. Did I miss something, or did MS go
> >> feral?

> >> I tried to install XP Pro to new raid 0 array, but it refuses to see the
> >> drive array during installation, even though it is visible on bios and at
> >> boot.

> >> Will I need to add a non-raid SATA drive, install XP Pro to that,
> >> overwrite with Vista Ultimate, then somehow copy that full data to the
> >> raid 0 striped array?

> >> Seems excessive.

> >> And... why does my I.P. show this ng as empty? No other install
> >> problems?- Hide quoted text -

I am also having problems getting Vista to install.

Ran Vista upgrade disk with winXP running, custom install, it let me
install and expand on a second pre-formatted harddrive. It rebooted
twice things OK. On the third reboot install hosed by boot manager
and now it stalls telling me that windows\system32\winload\exe is
missing, error# oxcoooooof. The boot manager will allow me to boot
into XP but not Vista on second drive.

I have tried many things to get it to work and now I can not get as
far as the first install. When Vista Upgrade DVD is writing to d-
drive it stops with a error that files are missing or corrupt error#
ox80070241.

Looking around the net seems like I am not alone..where's the fix? HELP

Ken

Re: Clean install of upgrade Ultimate problem.

Have you tried booting off dvd and doing a repair?

Ken
<dstepper@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1170238492.848413.215230@a75g2000cwd.googlegr oups.com...
> On Jan 31, 1:27 am, "Ken" <notf...@sothere.com> wrote:
>> By the way he chose custom install to do this
>>
>> Ken
>>
>> "Ken" <notf...@sothere.com> wrote in message

>> > Did you start installation from within xp pro? or boot up from disk?
>> > Because someone on a local messageboard claimed that he was able to
>> > choose
>> > a different partition than xp was on after he typed in his key and
>> > perform
>> > a clean install with an upgrade key and dualboot. This was after he
>> > started setup from within xp. I still dont beleive him lol

>> > Ken

>> > "Greybeard" <n...@jose.com> wrote in message

> I am also having problems getting Vista to install.
>
> Ran Vista upgrade disk with winXP running, custom install, it let me
> install and expand on a second pre-formatted harddrive. It rebooted
> twice things OK. On the third reboot install hosed by boot manager
> and now it stalls telling me that windows\system32\winload\exe is
> missing, error# oxcoooooof. The boot manager will allow me to boot
> into XP but not Vista on second drive.
>
> I have tried many things to get it to work and now I can not get as
> far as the first install. When Vista Upgrade DVD is writing to d-
> drive it stops with a error that files are missing or corrupt error#
> ox80070241.
>
> Looking around the net seems like I am not alone..where's the fix? HELP

Ken

Re: Clean install of upgrade Ultimate problem.
Or tried boot off last known configeration which worked or whatever it is by
pressing f8 at boot screen?

> Have you tried booting off dvd and doing a repair?
>

> Ken
> <dstepper@gmail.com> wrote in message
> news:1170238492.848413.215230@a75g2000cwd.googlegr oups.com...
>> On Jan 31, 1:27 am, "Ken" <notf...@sothere.com> wrote:
>>> By the way he chose custom install to do this
>>>
>>> Ken
>>>
>>> "Ken" <notf...@sothere.com> wrote in message

>> I am also having problems getting Vista to install.
>>
>> Ran Vista upgrade disk with winXP running, custom install, it let me
>> install and expand on a second pre-formatted harddrive. It rebooted
>> twice things OK. On the third reboot install hosed by boot manager
>> and now it stalls telling me that windows\system32\winload\exe is
>> missing, error# oxcoooooof. The boot manager will allow me to boot
>> into XP but not Vista on second drive.
>>
>> I have tried many things to get it to work and now I can not get as
>> far as the first install. When Vista Upgrade DVD is writing to d-
>> drive it stops with a error that files are missing or corrupt error#
>> ox80070241.
>>
>> Looking around the net seems like I am not alone..where's the fix? HELP

=?Utf-8?B?QXBwcm9hY2hpbmdaZXJvSG91cg==?=

Re: Clean install of upgrade Ultimate problem.
Ken,

You are correct. I went into panic mode after this board stated that you
could not dual boot with a Vista Upgrade. Well...I installed last
night...choose custom install....asked me where I wanted to install....choose
a second 250GB disk...I'm now running a dual boot system (Media Center
2005/Vista Ultimate)....and a clean install onto a second hard drive. So
yes...a Vista upgrade can do a clean/custom install and it can dual boot.

"Ken" wrote:

> By the way he chose custom install to do this
>

> Ken
>

> "Ken" <notforu@sothere.com> wrote in message
> >
> > Did you start installation from within xp pro? or boot up from disk?
> > Because someone on a local messageboard claimed that he was able to choose
> > a different partition than xp was on after he typed in his key and perform
> > a clean install with an upgrade key and dualboot. This was after he
> > started setup from within xp. I still dont beleive him lol
> >

> > Ken
> >

> > "Greybeard" <noway@jose.com> wrote in message
> >> With XP Pro, during clean install, setup asks user to insert ME or 98 to
> >> show owner qualifies for upgrade.
> >>
> >> Tried to install Vista Ultimate upgrade as clean install. It never asked
> >> to "see" my XP Pro copy, and when it got to "Pick drive for install" page
> >> it said the registration code used (update) did not support the clean
> >> install and would go no further. Did I miss something, or did MS go
> >> feral?
> >>
> >> I tried to install XP Pro to new raid 0 array, but it refuses to see the
> >> drive array during installation, even though it is visible on bios and at
> >> boot.
> >>
> >> Will I need to add a non-raid SATA drive, install XP Pro to that,
> >> overwrite with Vista Ultimate, then somehow copy that full data to the
> >> raid 0 striped array?
> >>
> >> Seems excessive.
> >>
> >> And... why does my I.P. show this ng as empty? No other install
> >> problems?

John

Re: Clean install of upgrade Ultimate problem.
by now I'll assume you read this thread posted after you which included this
link: http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=5932

"Greybeard" <noway@jose.com> wrote in message
> With XP Pro, during clean install, setup asks user to insert ME or 98 to
> show owner qualifies for upgrade.
>
> Tried to install Vista Ultimate upgrade as clean install. It never asked
> to "see" my XP Pro copy, and when it got to "Pick drive for install" page
> it said the registration code used (update) did not support the clean
> install and would go no further. Did I miss something, or did MS go
> feral?
>
> I tried to install XP Pro to new raid 0 array, but it refuses to see the
> drive array during installation, even though it is visible on bios and at
> boot.
>
> Will I need to add a non-raid SATA drive, install XP Pro to that,
> overwrite with Vista Ultimate, then somehow copy that full data to the
> raid 0 striped array?
>
> Seems excessive.
>
> And... why does my I.P. show this ng as empty? No other install
> problems?

John