Attention: A 64-bit Nightmare

=?Utf-8?B?SmFjb2J5?=

Attention: A 64-bit Nightmare
I was very excited about the Windows Vista upgrade. The features are superb
and innovative. They are accommodating and will solve all of my problems
when it comes to organization. I awaited for the public release with the
crazy thought that I would just purchase the software from the store and
upgrade. I even used Windows Upgrade Advisor to ensure I was properly.
Imagine my surprise when the software didn't upgrade. I spoke with three
technicians, one of whom didn't speak English well, and finally got my
answer. It seems that I had the 32-bit software and needed the 64-bit. I
was informed that I would have to visit the retail store where the software
the purchase and request this DVD. What a surprise I received! Not only did
I have to call visit a site to order the 64-bit media DVD, I also had to pay
extra for shipping and handling. Personal computers are updated with 64-bit
processors and becoming standard issue. However, instead of offering this
alternative in the store, you're required to order it and pay extra. Then,
to top it all off, the best expedition of the software is up to five business
days. I guess I was a fool to think this transition would be smooth. I
should've known there was a ploy somewhere and Microsoft would ensure a
nightmare.
=?Utf-8?B?Sm9obiBKLiBTY2htaXR0?=

RE: Attention: A 64-bit Nightmare
Something doesn't sound right here ...
The 32 bit version should install just fine on your 64-bit cpaable system.
Are you sure you got good information from the tech support person?

If you stop with your "conspiracy" theories for a moment, I think you'll
find that somthing is not right about whatever path you have followed to this
point ....

John

"Jacoby" wrote:

> I was very excited about the Windows Vista upgrade. The features are superb
> and innovative. They are accommodating and will solve all of my problems
> when it comes to organization. I awaited for the public release with the
> crazy thought that I would just purchase the software from the store and
> upgrade. I even used Windows Upgrade Advisor to ensure I was properly.
> Imagine my surprise when the software didn't upgrade. I spoke with three
> technicians, one of whom didn't speak English well, and finally got my
> answer. It seems that I had the 32-bit software and needed the 64-bit. I
> was informed that I would have to visit the retail store where the software
> the purchase and request this DVD. What a surprise I received! Not only did
> I have to call visit a site to order the 64-bit media DVD, I also had to pay
> extra for shipping and handling. Personal computers are updated with 64-bit
> processors and becoming standard issue. However, instead of offering this
> alternative in the store, you're required to order it and pay extra. Then,
> to top it all off, the best expedition of the software is up to five business
> days. I guess I was a fool to think this transition would be smooth. I
> should've known there was a ploy somewhere and Microsoft would ensure a
> nightmare.

David_L

Re: Attention: A 64-bit Nightmare
I think the real mess is that the upgrade disk doesn't allow for a
clean install. There's just too many remnants that can kill an
upgrade. I hope Microsoft takes a huge hit on this one.

Yes, Jacoby should be able to use the 32 bit os (the accross the ocean
customer support people are still waiting to upgrade thier TRS-80s).

Jacoby probably needs to reformat his HDD. Reinstall XP (don't bother
with updates). Activate XP. Then install Vista.

(though he didn't give any details on hardware or software versions).

David_L

Re: Attention: A 64-bit Nightmare
Also,

I'm not sure what 64 bit is going to do for you.

You can't upgrade from a 32 bit to 64 bit OS. It may just scan your
current system, authorize, then reformat the hard drive (which would
probably work and is more like doing a clean install).

You'll then have to reinstall all apps.

BUT, for many, 64 bit opens a whole new can of worms that most will
not want to deal with.

Paul-B

David_L wrote:

> I think the real mess is that the upgrade disk doesn't allow for a
> clean install. There's just too many remnants that can kill an
> upgrade. I hope Microsoft takes a huge hit on this one.

I don't think that's correct. AIUI an upgrade involves Vista saving the
stuff you might need in your new o/s and then laying down an image of
the new Vista partition... nothing is carried across, you have, in
effect, a clean install.

--
Paul-B
=?Utf-8?B?ZGZlaWZlcg==?=

Re: Attention: A 64-bit Nightmare
Unless he is currently using xp64 and upgrading from that.

"David_L" wrote:

> Also,
>
> I'm not sure what 64 bit is going to do for you.
>
> You can't upgrade from a 32 bit to 64 bit OS. It may just scan your
> current system, authorize, then reformat the hard drive (which would
> probably work and is more like doing a clean install).
>
> You'll then have to reinstall all apps.
>
> BUT, for many, 64 bit opens a whole new can of worms that most will
> not want to deal with.

=?Utf-8?B?YmFt?=

Re: Attention: A 64-bit Nightmare
You can say that again!

I decided to upgrade my hardware a year ago and got myself an AMD Athlon. I
was previously using XP32 but when I read Microsoft's XP64 website I was
seduced into changing: the site told me that it was just like XP32 but with
racing stripes and turbo-charging. The way to make the most of all 64 bits of
my new uP. I bought XP64 and sold my XP32 to a friend.

My life has been hell ever since. XP64 is VERY DIFFERENT from XP32. For a
start it lacks drivers: I had to buy a brand new printer and scanner. My
Logitec camera won't work. My motherboard didn't come with XP64 drivers so I
wasted a lot of time trying to find work-arounds. I suffered through no less
than 7 complete re-installs, many requiring me to re-install all my
applications and data. Some software applications just don't work -
RealPlayer cannot be installed on XP64.

I have contacated various parts of MicroSoft in recent months to try to
pursuade them to empathize with me and swap my XP64 for XP32 (I offered to
pay all postage and handling and to return my disks) - so far they have
blankely refused. Can you believe that?

The thought of an XP32 user naively upgrading to Vista 64 leaves me in a
cold sweat.