Installation Problems

=?Utf-8?B?Tm9KdWljZQ==?=

Installation Problems
I have Vista Home Premium Full, but when I boot from the DVD, the setup files
do load, up to the point where it shows the vista install background.
However, no dialog boxes show up whatsoever. I'm stuck with the background
and a mouse cursor. What could the problem be? No Dialog boxes, no
messages, just background and mouse cursor only.

I have XP Pro on my primary partition, and Vista Ultimate RC1 on another. I
plan to replace Vista Ultimate RC1 with Vista Home Premium.
=?Utf-8?B?R2xhaw==?=

RE: Installation Problems
I have the same exact problem with Vista Ultimate x86. I get a blue/green
background with only a mouse cursor. My HDD LED is lit and my DVD drive is
constantly being read. The same thing happened with Vista RC1. I thought it
might of been the DVD drive, so I swapped it out and tried 4 other ones. I
had my raptors in raid 0, so I removed the raid and tried again. The only
thing I can think of is some type of Mobo compatibility issue.

My Specs:
Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe Socket 939
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ Toledo
2GB Corsair XMS DDR 400 (PC3200)
Antec NEOPOWER 480 ATX12V v2.0 480W
FSP Group BoosterX 3, 300W ( Max. 400W ) SLI Graphic PSU
XFX GeForce 7950GX2 PCI-E
Creative Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS Platinum Pro
(2) WD Raptor 74GB 10,000 RPM Serial ATA150
Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320GB SATA

"NoJuice" wrote:

> I have Vista Home Premium Full, but when I boot from the DVD, the setup files
> do load, up to the point where it shows the vista install background.
> However, no dialog boxes show up whatsoever. I'm stuck with the background
> and a mouse cursor. What could the problem be? No Dialog boxes, no
> messages, just background and mouse cursor only.
>
> I have XP Pro on my primary partition, and Vista Ultimate RC1 on another. I
> plan to replace Vista Ultimate RC1 with Vista Home Premium.

=?Utf-8?B?Tm9KdWljZQ==?=

RE: Installation Problems
Ah right, Hardware Specs. I'll post mine so we can try to narrow it down.

ASUS P5GD1 Socket 775
Intel P4 640 HT
2x1GB Samsung DDR 400
Enermax 480W ATX12V
ATI Radeon X800 PCIE
Creative Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS (OEM)
2x Maxtor 120GB SATA
Maxtor 300GB SATA
Linksys WMP54G NIC Card

The only similarity I see is the sound card, but its not identical.
However, my machine appears to idle on the screen. The DVD stop spinning,
and i dont see any HDD activity.
=?Utf-8?B?R2xhaw==?=

RE: Installation Problems
I have to verify if my dvd-rom and HDD is being hit, but I do know I have
just a mouse cursor (No hourglass).

I talked to customer support from MS earlier today, which did not go very
well. Once I get home these are the following things I plan on trying:

1) Boot up using the XP disc, delete partitions, but do not format.
The guy at MS told me that XP and Vista format the hard drives
differently...Looks like Vista uses the PC/IBM format, not sure how XP is
different, but worth a try.

2) If it still "hangs" on the setup screen, hit [SHIFT+F10] to bring up the
Format hard drive screen.
Not sure if this will work.

3) Install XP again.
Continue to look for solutions.

4) Rabbit punch myself in the crotch until I pass out.
Same thing I did when I installed Windows ME

I'll update when and if I get any info. Another possible problem could lead
to the Asus Mobo.

"NoJuice" wrote:

> Ah right, Hardware Specs. I'll post mine so we can try to narrow it down.
>
> ASUS P5GD1 Socket 775
> Intel P4 640 HT
> 2x1GB Samsung DDR 400
> Enermax 480W ATX12V
> ATI Radeon X800 PCIE
> Creative Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS (OEM)
> 2x Maxtor 120GB SATA
> Maxtor 300GB SATA
> Linksys WMP54G NIC Card
>
> The only similarity I see is the sound card, but its not identical.
> However, my machine appears to idle on the screen. The DVD stop spinning,
> and i dont see any HDD activity.

Ben

Re: Installation Problems
Similar experience here, but not exact same issues. Still trying, but I
guess I'll just use that new hard drive for a new XP install Your
comparison to Windows ME is a good one, for those of those who can't get the
install to work, this is another Windows ME...

"Glak" <Glak@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have to verify if my dvd-rom and HDD is being hit, but I do know I have
> just a mouse cursor (No hourglass).
>
> I talked to customer support from MS earlier today, which did not go very
> well. Once I get home these are the following things I plan on trying:
>
> 1) Boot up using the XP disc, delete partitions, but do not format.
> The guy at MS told me that XP and Vista format the hard drives
> differently...Looks like Vista uses the PC/IBM format, not sure how XP is
> different, but worth a try.
>
> 2) If it still "hangs" on the setup screen, hit [SHIFT+F10] to bring up
> the
> Format hard drive screen.
> Not sure if this will work.
>
> 3) Install XP again.
> Continue to look for solutions.
>
> 4) Rabbit punch myself in the crotch until I pass out.
> Same thing I did when I installed Windows ME
>
> I'll update when and if I get any info. Another possible problem could
> lead
> to the Asus Mobo.
>
> "NoJuice" wrote:
>
>> Ah right, Hardware Specs. I'll post mine so we can try to narrow it
>> down.
>>
>> ASUS P5GD1 Socket 775
>> Intel P4 640 HT
>> 2x1GB Samsung DDR 400
>> Enermax 480W ATX12V
>> ATI Radeon X800 PCIE
>> Creative Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS (OEM)
>> 2x Maxtor 120GB SATA
>> Maxtor 300GB SATA
>> Linksys WMP54G NIC Card
>>
>> The only similarity I see is the sound card, but its not identical.
>> However, my machine appears to idle on the screen. The DVD stop
>> spinning,
>> and i dont see any HDD activity.

=?Utf-8?B?Tm9KdWljZQ==?=

RE: Installation Problems
** PROBLEM SOLVED

All you have to do is wait about 4-5 minutes.

I booted from the DVD, and was scroungin for my XP CD to try the suggestions
Glak listed. When I found my XP CD, The language dialog appeared. I suppose
that Vista was analyzing my hardware at the time. After you choose your
language, be prepared to wait another 5 minutes. I hope this works for
everyone else with the same problem.

Vista is running nicely, much better than RC1. Now to wait for the x64
version to ship!