Trying to Upgrade my Windows

=?Utf-8?B?VlNKYWdnZXI=?=

Trying to Upgrade my Windows
Hey I'm running into a problem with my upgrade of Windows Vista. I am
upgrading a XP Home to Windows Vista Premium.

When I get to the menu where I must choose between Upgrade Installation or
Custom Installation it tells me that the Upgrade has been disabled because
"The Upgrade Compliance Checks sould not be performed. Your Computer cannot
be upgraded".

While it will still let us continue under custom we cannot risk loosing the
data on the machine and at the moment back-up is not an option.

Can anyone give me an idea as to why I'm getting this error or how to get
past it.
Richard G. Harper

Re: Trying to Upgrade my Windows
Is your copy of XP both authentic AND activated?

"VSJagger" <VSJagger@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hey I'm running into a problem with my upgrade of Windows Vista. I am
> upgrading a XP Home to Windows Vista Premium.
>
> When I get to the menu where I must choose between Upgrade Installation or
> Custom Installation it tells me that the Upgrade has been disabled because
> "The Upgrade Compliance Checks sould not be performed. Your Computer
> cannot
> be upgraded".
>
> While it will still let us continue under custom we cannot risk loosing
> the
> data on the machine and at the moment back-up is not an option.
>
> Can anyone give me an idea as to why I'm getting this error or how to get
> past it.

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Re: Trying to Upgrade my Windows
Did you purchase a "retail" or "OEM" version of Windows Vista?

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"VSJagger" wrote:

Hey I'm running into a problem with my upgrade of Windows Vista. I am
upgrading a XP Home to Windows Vista Premium.

When I get to the menu where I must choose between Upgrade Installation or
Custom Installation it tells me that the Upgrade has been disabled because
"The Upgrade Compliance Checks sould not be performed. Your Computer cannot
be upgraded".

While it will still let us continue under custom we cannot risk loosing the
data on the machine and at the moment back-up is not an option.

Can anyone give me an idea as to why I'm getting this error or how to get
past it.
=?Utf-8?B?VlNKYWdnZXI=?=

Re: Trying to Upgrade my Windows
Yes it is. Is there anyway to confirm this, but I do know it is a store
purchased copy and was activated.

"Richard G. Harper" wrote:

> Is your copy of XP both authentic AND activated?

> "VSJagger" <VSJagger@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hey I'm running into a problem with my upgrade of Windows Vista. I am
> > upgrading a XP Home to Windows Vista Premium.
> >
> > When I get to the menu where I must choose between Upgrade Installation or
> > Custom Installation it tells me that the Upgrade has been disabled because
> > "The Upgrade Compliance Checks sould not be performed. Your Computer
> > cannot
> > be upgraded".
> >
> > While it will still let us continue under custom we cannot risk loosing
> > the
> > data on the machine and at the moment back-up is not an option.
> >
> > Can anyone give me an idea as to why I'm getting this error or how to get
> > past it.

=?Utf-8?B?c2dvcHVz?=

RE: Trying to Upgrade my Windows
cause xp home is not able to be UPGRADED, it has to be a clean install,
however do read up on the custom install it has the ability to move your data
to a folder and import it back after the install, so hopefully it can be
restored, but as always, being prepared for the worst, is better than it
falling on you, make backups.

"VSJagger" wrote:

> Hey I'm running into a problem with my upgrade of Windows Vista. I am
> upgrading a XP Home to Windows Vista Premium.
>
> When I get to the menu where I must choose between Upgrade Installation or
> Custom Installation it tells me that the Upgrade has been disabled because
> "The Upgrade Compliance Checks sould not be performed. Your Computer cannot
> be upgraded".
>
> While it will still let us continue under custom we cannot risk loosing the
> data on the machine and at the moment back-up is not an option.
>
> Can anyone give me an idea as to why I'm getting this error or how to get
> past it.

=?Utf-8?B?VlNKYWdnZXI=?=

Re: Trying to Upgrade my Windows
It is a retail copy of Windows Vista Premium Upgrade

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

> Did you purchase a "retail" or "OEM" version of Windows Vista?
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Shell/User

> "VSJagger" wrote:
>
> Hey I'm running into a problem with my upgrade of Windows Vista. I am
> upgrading a XP Home to Windows Vista Premium.
>
> When I get to the menu where I must choose between Upgrade Installation or
> Custom Installation it tells me that the Upgrade has been disabled because
> "The Upgrade Compliance Checks sould not be performed. Your Computer cannot
> be upgraded".
>
> While it will still let us continue under custom we cannot risk loosing the
> data on the machine and at the moment back-up is not an option.
>
> Can anyone give me an idea as to why I'm getting this error or how to get
> past it.

=?Utf-8?B?VlNKYWdnZXI=?=

Re: Trying to Upgrade my Windows
Upon going back and looking though the XP on the computer is an OEM version.
We have a non-OEM version though if this gives us other options.

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

> Did you purchase a "retail" or "OEM" version of Windows Vista?
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Shell/User

> "VSJagger" wrote:
>
> Hey I'm running into a problem with my upgrade of Windows Vista. I am
> upgrading a XP Home to Windows Vista Premium.
>
> When I get to the menu where I must choose between Upgrade Installation or
> Custom Installation it tells me that the Upgrade has been disabled because
> "The Upgrade Compliance Checks sould not be performed. Your Computer cannot
> be upgraded".
>
> While it will still let us continue under custom we cannot risk loosing the
> data on the machine and at the moment back-up is not an option.
>
> Can anyone give me an idea as to why I'm getting this error or how to get
> past it.

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Re: Trying to Upgrade my Windows
Please visit http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/ and click on "Validate Windows".
Is validation successful?

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"VSJagger" wrote:

Yes it is. Is there anyway to confirm this, but I do know it is a store
purchased copy and was activated.

=?Utf-8?B?YmlsbA==?=

RE: Trying to Upgrade my Windows
You can only upgrade Windows XP Pro. to Vista Business or Vista Ultimate