Openning XP backup files in Vista

=?Utf-8?B?Q29yYWwgVC4=?=

Openning XP backup files in Vista
I made a full system backup in XP Media Centre 2005 using ntbackup and placed
the bkf on a external USB hard drive. (NTFS, compressed)

Upgraded to Vista Ultimate and found that I wanted some of my media files
out of my backup. However Vista does not know what application to use for the
bkf file. I tried going into the Backup and Recovery centre however it says
that you can not recover files until you back up. It does not open my bkf
file.

Any ideas are welcome.
Jupiter Jones [MVP]

Re: Openning XP backup files in Vista
In the past newer operating systems could not recognize the back-up files of
the newer operating system and I suspect this is also the case with Vista.
Generally back-ups are intended to be installed on the same or similar
computer.

Instead, Windows Easy Transfer works to transfer data from Windows XP to
Windows Vista.
Windows Easy Transfer is under System Tools.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

"Coral T." <Coral T.@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I made a full system backup in XP Media Centre 2005 using ntbackup and
>placed
> the bkf on a external USB hard drive. (NTFS, compressed)
>
> Upgraded to Vista Ultimate and found that I wanted some of my media files
> out of my backup. However Vista does not know what application to use for
> the
> bkf file. I tried going into the Backup and Recovery centre however it
> says
> that you can not recover files until you back up. It does not open my
> bkf
> file.
>
> Any ideas are welcome.

Sharon F

On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 16:38:01 -0800, Coral T. wrote:

> I made a full system backup in XP Media Centre 2005 using ntbackup and placed
> the bkf on a external USB hard drive. (NTFS, compressed)
>
> Upgraded to Vista Ultimate and found that I wanted some of my media files
> out of my backup. However Vista does not know what application to use for the
> bkf file. I tried going into the Backup and Recovery centre however it says
> that you can not recover files until you back up. It does not open my bkf
> file.
>
> Any ideas are welcome.

See the following blog entry regarding an available tool that enables
access to files in BKF archives:

http://blogs.technet.com/filecab/arc...-download.aspx

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User
John Monahan

Re: Openning XP backup files in Vista
Jupiter Jones, the problem with using the Vista transfer program for most of
us is that usually you want to install Vista on the same disk/partition XP
is on. How can you then use "Vista Easy Transfer" since your e-mail messages
etc are already disconnected in the registry/folders etc taht Vista
overwrote.

> In the past newer operating systems could not recognize the back-up files
> of the newer operating system and I suspect this is also the case with
> Vista.
> Generally back-ups are intended to be installed on the same or similar
> computer.
>
> Instead, Windows Easy Transfer works to transfer data from Windows XP to
> Windows Vista.
> Windows Easy Transfer is under System Tools.
>
> --
> Jupiter Jones [MVP]
> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
> http://www.dts-l.org
>

> "Coral T." <Coral T.@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>I made a full system backup in XP Media Centre 2005 using ntbackup and
>>placed
>> the bkf on a external USB hard drive. (NTFS, compressed)
>>
>> Upgraded to Vista Ultimate and found that I wanted some of my media files
>> out of my backup. However Vista does not know what application to use for
>> the
>> bkf file. I tried going into the Backup and Recovery centre however it
>> says
>> that you can not recover files until you back up. It does not open my
>> bkf
>> file.
>>
>> Any ideas are welcome.

Jupiter Jones [MVP]

Re: Openning XP backup files in Vista
John;
See "Transfer methods" on this page:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928635
You can save data on CD another drive etc.

--

"John Monahan" <monahan@vitasoft.org> wrote in message
> Jupiter Jones, the problem with using the Vista transfer program for most
> of us is that usually you want to install Vista on the same disk/partition
> XP is on. How can you then use "Vista Easy Transfer" since your e-mail
> messages etc are already disconnected in the registry/folders etc taht
> Vista overwrote.
>

> "Jupiter Jones [MVP]" <jones_jupiter@hotnomail.com> wrote in message
>> In the past newer operating systems could not recognize the back-up files
>> of the newer operating system and I suspect this is also the case with
>> Vista.
>> Generally back-ups are intended to be installed on the same or similar
>> computer.
>>
>> Instead, Windows Easy Transfer works to transfer data from Windows XP to
>> Windows Vista.
>> Windows Easy Transfer is under System Tools.
>>
>> --
>> Jupiter Jones [MVP]
>> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
>> http://www.dts-l.org
>>

>> "Coral T." <Coral T.@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>>I made a full system backup in XP Media Centre 2005 using ntbackup and
>>>placed
>>> the bkf on a external USB hard drive. (NTFS, compressed)
>>>
>>> Upgraded to Vista Ultimate and found that I wanted some of my media
>>> files
>>> out of my backup. However Vista does not know what application to use
>>> for the
>>> bkf file. I tried going into the Backup and Recovery centre however it
>>> says
>>> that you can not recover files until you back up. It does not open my
>>> bkf
>>> file.
>>>
>>> Any ideas are welcome.

=?Utf-8?B?Q29yYWwgVC4=?=

Re: Openning XP backup files in Vista
Thanks Sharon,
I got to say tho back up a hard drive on CD etc? I used ntbackup for a
reason, the reason is a 250 Gig HDD takes a ton of DVDs to back up, my hard
drive isn't even all that big. Seems to be lots of new computers with a Tb
hard drives. I looked at Raring My Media folders before I upgraded on DVD
size files. At the point where it was over 3 disc I decided to give up.
Sharon F

On Thu, 1 Feb 2007 18:45:00 -0800, Coral T. wrote:

> Thanks Sharon,
> I got to say tho back up a hard drive on CD etc? I used ntbackup for a
> reason, the reason is a 250 Gig HDD takes a ton of DVDs to back up, my hard
> drive isn't even all that big. Seems to be lots of new computers with a Tb
> hard drives. I looked at Raring My Media folders before I upgraded on DVD
> size files. At the point where it was over 3 disc I decided to give up.

I'm seriously considering acquiring one of those NAS devices. They can be
connected to a router - shades of "headless servers." Seems to be a
reasonable solution in a home with multiple computers and shared data
stores. Example:

Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User