Is the media the same for all versions of Vista?

=?Utf-8?B?UmF5IEdhcnJldHQ=?=

Is the media the same for all versions of Vista?
I've read in many places that the media is exactly the same no matter what
version of Vista you purchase and the key determines which version gets
installed, but from what I've been reading here, the upgrade version has
limited boot options compared to the full or oem version. Is this because
the upgrade media is different or because the installation options given are
based on the key entered. The reason I am asking is because my friend
purchased the Home Premium upgrade today. I have an Ultimate Edition OEM on
order, but it won't be here until next week. I want to borrow my friends DVD
and go ahead and install Vista in 30-day trial mode on my machine and then
enter my OEM key once I receive my copy of Vista. Everything I have read
previously says this is possible, but all the recent news on the upgrade
editions contradicts this saying that the Upgrade edition comes on different
media. Which is correct?
John Barnes

Re: Is the media the same for all versions of Vista?
Should be no problem. The key determines which options are allowed and
which are greyed out.

"Ray Garrett" <RayGarrett@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news3518773-28ED-4E8F-8846-1A16660477A2@microsoft.com...
> I've read in many places that the media is exactly the same no matter what
> version of Vista you purchase and the key determines which version gets
> installed, but from what I've been reading here, the upgrade version has
> limited boot options compared to the full or oem version. Is this because
> the upgrade media is different or because the installation options given
> are
> based on the key entered. The reason I am asking is because my friend
> purchased the Home Premium upgrade today. I have an Ultimate Edition OEM
> on
> order, but it won't be here until next week. I want to borrow my friends
> DVD
> and go ahead and install Vista in 30-day trial mode on my machine and then
> enter my OEM key once I receive my copy of Vista. Everything I have read
> previously says this is possible, but all the recent news on the upgrade
> editions contradicts this saying that the Upgrade edition comes on
> different
> media. Which is correct?

Colin Barnhorst

Re: Is the media the same for all versions of Vista?
There is only one retail x86 dvd and one retail x64 dvd. Both are bootable
and have all the tools. There is no such thing as retail full media or
retail upgrade media. There is just media. The product key tells Setup how
to behave.