Can i do this?

=?Utf-8?B?dGttYXN0ZXI=?=

Can i do this?
I just bought vista premium upgrade for a computer i will be getting in the
near future,

my other computer has xp right now and i want to install vista temporarily
on the system to check it out... will i be able to do it as long as when i
get the new computer i uninstall vista on the current one and reinstall xp on
the current one?

Zim Babwe

Re: Can i do this?
Sure you can do it. The best thing is if you want to check it out, you have
30 days before you have to activate to play around and get use to all the
features. You can then reinstall XP on your system. Remember you can only
use Vista on the current one if you don't activate it. If you do activate,
you can't uninstall and reinstall on another computer.

One thing you could do is call the activation line at Microsoft and pose the
question to them and see what the response would be. If they allow it (I
know it goes against the EULA), then you could activate, use it and then put
it on your new computer.

I'm sure others will chime in with their take on the issue also.

Good luck

Zim

"tkmaster" <tkmaster@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I just bought vista premium upgrade for a computer i will be getting in the
> near future,
>
> my other computer has xp right now and i want to install vista temporarily
> on the system to check it out... will i be able to do it as long as when i
> get the new computer i uninstall vista on the current one and reinstall xp
> on
> the current one?

John Barnes

Re: Can i do this?
If you are going to install an upgrade version, you will have to have XP
installed and activated on the same computer you are going to install Vista
on.
If your current XP is an OEM that came with the computer you can't transfer
it.

"tkmaster" <tkmaster@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I just bought vista premium upgrade for a computer i will be getting in the
> near future,
>
> my other computer has xp right now and i want to install vista temporarily
> on the system to check it out... will i be able to do it as long as when i
> get the new computer i uninstall vista on the current one and reinstall xp
> on
> the current one?

=?Utf-8?B?dGttYXN0ZXI=?=

Re: Can i do this?
ok again you have the misconception of what you can do...

i am familiar with upgrade versions enough to know even with a upgrade
version you can do what you would call a clean install which would mean
nothing on the hard drive prior to installation... if that is the case the
setup would ask you to show proof of ownership of a previous qualifying os by
asking for the cd of the qualifying cd...

and for the record it is always best to do a clean install as the computer
may not work the way you would like if you simply do a install over... so you
are wrong about requiring xp to be installed on the drive as i would just
need the disc to get it to install..

"John Barnes" wrote:

> If you are going to install an upgrade version, you will have to have XP
> installed and activated on the same computer you are going to install Vista
> on.
> If your current XP is an OEM that came with the computer you can't transfer
> it.
>
> "tkmaster" <tkmaster@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I just bought vista premium upgrade for a computer i will be getting in the
> > near future,
> >
> > my other computer has xp right now and i want to install vista temporarily
> > on the system to check it out... will i be able to do it as long as when i
> > get the new computer i uninstall vista on the current one and reinstall xp
> > on
> > the current one?

John Barnes

Re: Can i do this?
If you are such a genius, why do you bother to post. Good luck.

> ok again you have the misconception of what you can do...
>
> i am familiar with upgrade versions enough to know even with a upgrade
> version you can do what you would call a clean install which would mean
> nothing on the hard drive prior to installation... if that is the case
> the
> setup would ask you to show proof of ownership of a previous qualifying os
> by
> asking for the cd of the qualifying cd...
>
> and for the record it is always best to do a clean install as the computer
> may not work the way you would like if you simply do a install over... so
> you
> are wrong about requiring xp to be installed on the drive as i would just
> need the disc to get it to install..
>

> "John Barnes" wrote:
>
>> If you are going to install an upgrade version, you will have to have XP
>> installed and activated on the same computer you are going to install
>> Vista
>> on.
>> If your current XP is an OEM that came with the computer you can't
>> transfer
>> it.
>>
>> "tkmaster" <tkmaster@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I just bought vista premium upgrade for a computer i will be getting in
>> >the
>> > near future,
>> >
>> > my other computer has xp right now and i want to install vista
>> > temporarily
>> > on the system to check it out... will i be able to do it as long as
>> > when i
>> > get the new computer i uninstall vista on the current one and reinstall
>> > xp
>> > on
>> > the current one?

AJR

Re: Can i do this?
tkmaster - Vista installation differs from XP - upgrade REQUIRES an
installation of XP - inserting a CD no longer meets the requirement .

As "John" stated "Good Luck".

> If you are such a genius, why do you bother to post. Good luck.
>
> "tkmaster" <tkmaster@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> ok again you have the misconception of what you can do...
>>
>> i am familiar with upgrade versions enough to know even with a upgrade
>> version you can do what you would call a clean install which would mean
>> nothing on the hard drive prior to installation... if that is the case
>> the
>> setup would ask you to show proof of ownership of a previous qualifying
>> os by
>> asking for the cd of the qualifying cd...
>>
>> and for the record it is always best to do a clean install as the
>> computer
>> may not work the way you would like if you simply do a install over... so
>> you
>> are wrong about requiring xp to be installed on the drive as i would just
>> need the disc to get it to install..
>>

>> "John Barnes" wrote:
>>
>>> If you are going to install an upgrade version, you will have to have XP
>>> installed and activated on the same computer you are going to install
>>> Vista
>>> on.
>>> If your current XP is an OEM that came with the computer you can't
>>> transfer
>>> it.

Zim Babwe

Re: Can i do this?

it doesn't REQUIRE an installation of XP. Check out the above link