Dual Boot

Alex

Dual Boot
Hi I have a copy of Vista Business as part of my Action Pack. I want to
play with it for bit before installing onto other machines. i have a
laptop - Vista ready, but currently running XP Pro fully patched.
The laptop has just a C parition with 143GB free.

My question is there anyway that i can install Vista onto the laptop as a
dual boot so that i dont screw up my existing installation.

Thanks
Alex

John Barnett MVP

Re: Dual Boot
You will need to create a new partition to install Vista. I assume partition
C takes up the whole hard drive? If so you'll need third party software to
shrink the current partition sufficiently to create a new partition (around
40GB).

Once Vista is installed on the second partition when you boot up a menu will
appear offering you the choice to boot to xp or vista. One word of warning
here, though. Because of the way XP shadow copies files, if you boot to XP
it will delete all of the system restore points on the Vista partition. The
only option is to either use a third party boot menu application or, if you
have ultimate or enterprise versions, use the bitlocker encryption. The loss
of restrore points on vista may not bother you, but at least you know about
it before hand.

--
John Barnett MVP
Associate Expert

Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org

mail/post..

"Alex" <alex@hotmail.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hi I have a copy of Vista Business as part of my Action Pack. I want to
> play with it for bit before installing onto other machines. i have a
> laptop - Vista ready, but currently running XP Pro fully patched.
> The laptop has just a C parition with 143GB free.
>
> My question is there anyway that i can install Vista onto the laptop as a
> dual boot so that i dont screw up my existing installation.
>
> Thanks
> Alex

Alex

Re: Dual Boot
Tha nk you John for your post and helpful tips

Can I ask (without any recourse of course!) if you can suggest suitable
partition management software?

thanks

"John Barnett MVP" <freelanceit@mvps.org.NOSPAM> wrote in message
> You will need to create a new partition to install Vista. I assume
> partition C takes up the whole hard drive? If so you'll need third party
> software to shrink the current partition sufficiently to create a new
> partition (around 40GB).
>
> Once Vista is installed on the second partition when you boot up a menu
> will appear offering you the choice to boot to xp or vista. One word of
> warning here, though. Because of the way XP shadow copies files, if you
> boot to XP it will delete all of the system restore points on the Vista
> partition. The only option is to either use a third party boot menu
> application or, if you have ultimate or enterprise versions, use the
> bitlocker encryption. The loss of restrore points on vista may not bother
> you, but at least you know about it before hand.
>
> --
> John Barnett MVP
> Associate Expert
> Windows Shell/User
>
> Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
> Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org

> reliability or content of this mail/post. The Author shall not be liable
> for any direct, indirect, incidental or consequential damages arising out
> of the use of, or inability to use, information or opinions expressed in
> this mail/post..
>
> "Alex" <alex@hotmail.co.uk> wrote in message
>> Hi I have a copy of Vista Business as part of my Action Pack. I want to
>> play with it for bit before installing onto other machines. i have a
>> laptop - Vista ready, but currently running XP Pro fully patched.
>> The laptop has just a C parition with 143GB free.
>>
>> My question is there anyway that i can install Vista onto the laptop as a
>> dual boot so that i dont screw up my existing installation.
>>
>> Thanks
>> Alex

=?Utf-8?B?SmVmZg==?=

Re: Dual Boot
John,

You seem in the know. Can I do this:

I have MCE 2005 installed on my c:\ and have just ordered Vista Ultimate OEM
and would like to install it on a different drive e:\ and keep my system dual
boot; however, I have heard that OEM version only install on clean drives?
Does this mean since my system has MCE on drive c:\ it won't let me install
on a new clean drive?

Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks in advance

Jeff

"John Barnett MVP" wrote:

> You will need to create a new partition to install Vista. I assume partition
> C takes up the whole hard drive? If so you'll need third party software to
> shrink the current partition sufficiently to create a new partition (around
> 40GB).
>
> Once Vista is installed on the second partition when you boot up a menu will
> appear offering you the choice to boot to xp or vista. One word of warning
> here, though. Because of the way XP shadow copies files, if you boot to XP
> it will delete all of the system restore points on the Vista partition. The
> only option is to either use a third party boot menu application or, if you
> have ultimate or enterprise versions, use the bitlocker encryption. The loss
> of restrore points on vista may not bother you, but at least you know about
> it before hand.
>
> --
> John Barnett MVP
> Associate Expert
> Windows Shell/User
>
> Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
> Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org

> reliability or content of this mail/post. The Author shall not be liable for
> any direct, indirect, incidental or consequential damages arising out of the
> mail/post..
>
> "Alex" <alex@hotmail.co.uk> wrote in message
> > Hi I have a copy of Vista Business as part of my Action Pack. I want to
> > play with it for bit before installing onto other machines. i have a
> > laptop - Vista ready, but currently running XP Pro fully patched.
> > The laptop has just a C parition with 143GB free.
> >
> > My question is there anyway that i can install Vista onto the laptop as a
> > dual boot so that i dont screw up my existing installation.
> >
> > Thanks
> > Alex

Bill Condie

Re: Dual Boot
Hi Alex, I've been wondering about Action Pack. When did you get it?

"Alex" <alex@hotmail.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hi I have a copy of Vista Business as part of my Action Pack. I want to
> play with it for bit before installing onto other machines. i have a
> laptop - Vista ready, but currently running XP Pro fully patched.
> The laptop has just a C parition with 143GB free.
>
> My question is there anyway that i can install Vista onto the laptop as a
> dual boot so that i dont screw up my existing installation.
>
> Thanks
> Alex

Bill Condie

Re: Dual Boot
Ah, just found this: So we don't get Ultimate?

Saturday, January 20, 2007 12:16 AM by mssmallbiz
So where's my January Action Pack kit? Anyone wondering this?
If you are wondering where your January Action Pack Kit is and when you'll
have it , here is an update for you. The message below came from the Action
Pack Team and you will see it shortly on the Microsoft Partner Page;
however, I wanted to get it to you as soon as possible so you had the
information. Also, be sure to check out the update I added to the end based
on some information that was confirmed just this afternoon:

===========

Dear Microsoft Partner,

This is to inform you of the estimated delivery date of the January Action
Pack (quarterly update). The January kit is a Special Launch Edition
featuring Windows Vista, Microsoft 2007 Office System and special
information on Windows Small Business Server 2003 R2.

We know that you're anxious to receive this kit, and we want to get it into
your hands as soon as possible. However, in order to meet the customer
demand due to the overwhelming response for the new Windows Vista and Office
products, our January Action Pack kit is delayed. We understand the
importance of our partners receiving these products before the general
public, and we are doing everything possible to make this happen. However,
our estimated ship dates by region are as follows:

a.. North America - January 19th
b.. Europe - January 22nd
c.. Asia Pacific - February 5th
"Bill Condie" <billcondie@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi Alex, I've been wondering about Action Pack. When did you get it?
>
> "Alex" <alex@hotmail.co.uk> wrote in message
>> Hi I have a copy of Vista Business as part of my Action Pack. I want to
>> play with it for bit before installing onto other machines. i have a
>> laptop - Vista ready, but currently running XP Pro fully patched.
>> The laptop has just a C parition with 143GB free.
>>
>> My question is there anyway that i can install Vista onto the laptop as a
>> dual boot so that i dont screw up my existing installation.
>>
>> Thanks
>> Alex

John Barnes

Re: Dual Boot
OEM only installs on a clean volume (partition). No problem dual booting
with MCE. Read the warning about losing restore points in Vista each time
you boot to XP and be aware ahead of time.

"Jeff" <Jeff@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> John,
>
> You seem in the know. Can I do this:
>
> I have MCE 2005 installed on my c:\ and have just ordered Vista Ultimate
> OEM
> and would like to install it on a different drive e:\ and keep my system
> dual
> boot; however, I have heard that OEM version only install on clean drives?
> Does this mean since my system has MCE on drive c:\ it won't let me
> install
> on a new clean drive?
>
> Any suggestions are welcome.
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Jeff
>
> "John Barnett MVP" wrote:
>
>> You will need to create a new partition to install Vista. I assume
>> partition
>> C takes up the whole hard drive? If so you'll need third party software
>> shrink the current partition sufficiently to create a new partition
>> (around
>> 40GB).
>>
>> Once Vista is installed on the second partition when you boot up a menu
>> will
>> appear offering you the choice to boot to xp or vista. One word of
>> warning
>> here, though. Because of the way XP shadow copies files, if you boot to
>> XP
>> it will delete all of the system restore points on the Vista partition.
>> The
>> only option is to either use a third party boot menu application or, if
>> you
>> have ultimate or enterprise versions, use the bitlocker encryption. The
>> loss
>> of restrore points on vista may not bother you, but at least you know
>> about
>> it before hand.
>>
>> --
>> John Barnett MVP
>> Associate Expert
>> Windows Shell/User
>>
>> Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
>> Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org

>> for
>> any direct, indirect, incidental or consequential damages arising out of
>> the
>> use of, or inability to use, information or opinions expressed in this
>> mail/post..
>>
>> "Alex" <alex@hotmail.co.uk> wrote in message
>> > Hi I have a copy of Vista Business as part of my Action Pack. I want
>> > play with it for bit before installing onto other machines. i have a
>> > laptop - Vista ready, but currently running XP Pro fully patched.
>> > The laptop has just a C parition with 143GB free.
>> >
>> > My question is there anyway that i can install Vista onto the laptop as
>> > dual boot so that i dont screw up my existing installation.
>> >
>> > Thanks
>> > Alex

Alex

Re: Dual Boot
Not in the Uk - we got Vista Business in fact i have just looked at the disc
properly so I see that it is Business Upgrade, which rather knocks my idea
of creating a dual boot on the head i believe.
Alex

> Ah, just found this: So we don't get Ultimate?
>
> Saturday, January 20, 2007 12:16 AM by mssmallbiz
> So where's my January Action Pack kit? Anyone wondering this?
> If you are wondering where your January Action Pack Kit is and when you'll
> have it , here is an update for you. The message below came from the
> Action Pack Team and you will see it shortly on the Microsoft Partner
> Page; however, I wanted to get it to you as soon as possible so you had
> the information. Also, be sure to check out the update I added to the end
> based on some information that was confirmed just this afternoon:
>

> ===========
>
> Dear Microsoft Partner,
>

> This is to inform you of the estimated delivery date of the January Action
> Pack (quarterly update). The January kit is a Special Launch Edition
> featuring Windows Vista, Microsoft 2007 Office System and special
> information on Windows Small Business Server 2003 R2.
>

> We know that you're anxious to receive this kit, and we want to get it
> into your hands as soon as possible. However, in order to meet the
> customer demand due to the overwhelming response for the new Windows Vista
> and Office products, our January Action Pack kit is delayed. We understand
> the importance of our partners receiving these products before the general
> public, and we are doing everything possible to make this happen. However,
> our estimated ship dates by region are as follows:
>

> a.. North America - January 19th
> b.. Europe - January 22nd
> c.. Asia Pacific - February 5th
> "Bill Condie" <billcondie@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Hi Alex, I've been wondering about Action Pack. When did you get it?
>>
>> "Alex" <alex@hotmail.co.uk> wrote in message
>>> Hi I have a copy of Vista Business as part of my Action Pack. I want to
>>> play with it for bit before installing onto other machines. i have a
>>> laptop - Vista ready, but currently running XP Pro fully patched.
>>> The laptop has just a C parition with 143GB free.
>>>
>>> My question is there anyway that i can install Vista onto the laptop as
>>> a dual boot so that i dont screw up my existing installation.
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> Alex

=?Utf-8?B?SmVmZg==?=

Re: Dual Boot
Tnx John )

One of the reasons I'm going with Ultimate is to use bitlocker to keep my
restore points.

Jeff

"John Barnes" wrote:

> OEM only installs on a clean volume (partition). No problem dual booting
> with MCE. Read the warning about losing restore points in Vista each time
> you boot to XP and be aware ahead of time.
>

> "Jeff" <Jeff@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > John,
> >
> > You seem in the know. Can I do this:
> >
> > I have MCE 2005 installed on my c:\ and have just ordered Vista Ultimate
> > OEM
> > and would like to install it on a different drive e:\ and keep my system
> > dual
> > boot; however, I have heard that OEM version only install on clean drives?
> > Does this mean since my system has MCE on drive c:\ it won't let me
> > install
> > on a new clean drive?
> >
> > Any suggestions are welcome.
> >
> > Thanks in advance
> >
> > Jeff
> >
> > "John Barnett MVP" wrote:
> >
> >> You will need to create a new partition to install Vista. I assume
> >> partition
> >> C takes up the whole hard drive? If so you'll need third party software
> >> shrink the current partition sufficiently to create a new partition
> >> (around
> >> 40GB).
> >>
> >> Once Vista is installed on the second partition when you boot up a menu
> >> will
> >> appear offering you the choice to boot to xp or vista. One word of
> >> warning
> >> here, though. Because of the way XP shadow copies files, if you boot to
> >> XP
> >> it will delete all of the system restore points on the Vista partition.
> >> The
> >> only option is to either use a third party boot menu application or, if
> >> you
> >> have ultimate or enterprise versions, use the bitlocker encryption. The
> >> loss
> >> of restrore points on vista may not bother you, but at least you know
> >> about
> >> it before hand.
> >>
> >> --
> >> John Barnett MVP
> >> Associate Expert
> >> Windows Shell/User
> >>
> >> Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
> >> Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org
> >>
> >> The information in this mail/post is supplied "as is". No warranty of any
> >> kind, either expressed or implied, is made in relation to the accuracy,
> >> reliability or content of this mail/post. The Author shall not be liable
> >> for
> >> any direct, indirect, incidental or consequential damages arising out of
> >> the
> >> use of, or inability to use, information or opinions expressed in this
> >> mail/post..

John Barnett MVP

Re: Dual Boot
Alex, you can use Norton partition magic or there is Paragon hard disk
manager.