Remote Desktop Connections From XP Pro to Vista Ultimate

JimF....

Remote Desktop Connections From XP Pro to Vista Ultimate
I have been attempting to connect to my Vista Ulitimate box from my XP Pro
box at work like I always was able to prior to buying this new VISTA BOX. I
have exactly the same setup as before when it always worked XP to XP or 2000
boxes. Now it just will not connect. HOwever, I can go from the VISTA box
to any XP or 2000 box. I have disabled my TrendMicro firewall/virus software
and still no luck. I have disabled my Linksys N standard wireless router but
still no luck. I have also opened the DMZ but still not able to connect from
any XP box outside my workgroup at home. I can log into my XP box from work
and then Remote Desktop into my VISTA from my XP box at home on my same
workgroup. It really seems like a firewall issue but I have NO firewalls
turned on. HELP!
Rick Rogers

Re: Remote Desktop Connections From XP Pro to Vista Ultimate
Hi,

The fact that you can connect from other XP boxes behind the router means
that a) your remote settings are correct and that b) the firewall on the
target machine is allowing connections. I would suspect that the problem
lies in how your router is forwarding the signal on 3389. It may be going to
only one IP inside your workgroup. Try changing the target or using a
different port to target this machine.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"JimF...." <JimF....@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news3EBCC7C-A7D6-4C38-B21D-82905B8F0CDA@microsoft.com...
>I have been attempting to connect to my Vista Ulitimate box from my XP Pro
> box at work like I always was able to prior to buying this new VISTA BOX.
> have exactly the same setup as before when it always worked XP to XP or
> 2000
> boxes. Now it just will not connect. HOwever, I can go from the VISTA
> box
> to any XP or 2000 box. I have disabled my TrendMicro firewall/virus
> software
> and still no luck. I have disabled my Linksys N standard wireless router
> but
> still no luck. I have also opened the DMZ but still not able to connect
> from
> any XP box outside my workgroup at home. I can log into my XP box from
> work
> and then Remote Desktop into my VISTA from my XP box at home on my same
> workgroup. It really seems like a firewall issue but I have NO firewalls
> turned on. HELP!

JimF....

Re: Remote Desktop Connections From XP Pro to Vista Ultimate
Thank you for your response. I did not think I was doing anything wrong as
it does work except in VISTA. Can you explain how to change the Remote
Desktop Connection port from 3389 to something different? I can change it in
my firewall and in Trendmicro firewall software. I just don't know how to
change the Windows PORT for MSTSC.

THANKS! JIM

"Rick Rogers" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> The fact that you can connect from other XP boxes behind the router means
> that a) your remote settings are correct and that b) the firewall on the
> target machine is allowing connections. I would suspect that the problem
> lies in how your router is forwarding the signal on 3389. It may be going to
> only one IP inside your workgroup. Try changing the target or using a
> different port to target this machine.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "JimF...." <JimF....@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news3EBCC7C-A7D6-4C38-B21D-82905B8F0CDA@microsoft.com...
> >I have been attempting to connect to my Vista Ulitimate box from my XP Pro
> > box at work like I always was able to prior to buying this new VISTA BOX.
> > have exactly the same setup as before when it always worked XP to XP or
> > 2000
> > boxes. Now it just will not connect. HOwever, I can go from the VISTA
> > box
> > to any XP or 2000 box. I have disabled my TrendMicro firewall/virus
> > software
> > and still no luck. I have disabled my Linksys N standard wireless router
> > but
> > still no luck. I have also opened the DMZ but still not able to connect
> > from
> > any XP box outside my workgroup at home. I can log into my XP box from
> > work
> > and then Remote Desktop into my VISTA from my XP box at home on my same
> > workgroup. It really seems like a firewall issue but I have NO firewalls
> > turned on. HELP!

Rick Rogers

Re: Remote Desktop Connections From XP Pro to Vista Ultimate
Hi Jim,

Changing the listening port:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306759

It's the same in Vista as in XP. But what I was inferring is that your
router is currently forwarding on 3389 to a specific address behind it, and
the Vista machine is not the system with that address. Log into it and see
where it is being forwarded, as it is most like the XP machine that you are
currently accessing.

--

> Thank you for your response. I did not think I was doing anything wrong
> as
> it does work except in VISTA. Can you explain how to change the Remote
> Desktop Connection port from 3389 to something different? I can change it
> in
> my firewall and in Trendmicro firewall software. I just don't know how to
> change the Windows PORT for MSTSC.
>
> THANKS! JIM
>
> "Rick Rogers" wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> The fact that you can connect from other XP boxes behind the router means
>> that a) your remote settings are correct and that b) the firewall on the
>> target machine is allowing connections. I would suspect that the problem
>> lies in how your router is forwarding the signal on 3389. It may be going
>> only one IP inside your workgroup. Try changing the target or using a
>> different port to target this machine.
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck,

>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>
>> "JimF...." <JimF....@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news3EBCC7C-A7D6-4C38-B21D-82905B8F0CDA@microsoft.com...
>> >I have been attempting to connect to my Vista Ulitimate box from my XP
>> >Pro
>> > box at work like I always was able to prior to buying this new VISTA
>> > BOX.
>> > have exactly the same setup as before when it always worked XP to XP or
>> > 2000
>> > boxes. Now it just will not connect. HOwever, I can go from the VISTA
>> > box
>> > to any XP or 2000 box. I have disabled my TrendMicro firewall/virus
>> > software
>> > and still no luck. I have disabled my Linksys N standard wireless
>> > router
>> > but
>> > still no luck. I have also opened the DMZ but still not able to
>> > connect
>> > from
>> > any XP box outside my workgroup at home. I can log into my XP box from
>> > work
>> > and then Remote Desktop into my VISTA from my XP box at home on my same
>> > workgroup. It really seems like a firewall issue but I have NO
>> > firewalls
>> > turned on. HELP!

JimF....

Re: Remote Desktop Connections From XP Pro to Vista Ultimate
Thank you again. I actually have both ip addresses listed in the forwarding
list. I had already thought of that possibility.

"Rick Rogers" wrote:

> Hi Jim,
>
> Changing the listening port:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306759
>
> It's the same in Vista as in XP. But what I was inferring is that your
> router is currently forwarding on 3389 to a specific address behind it, and
> the Vista machine is not the system with that address. Log into it and see
> where it is being forwarded, as it is most like the XP machine that you are
> currently accessing.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "JimF...." <JimF@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Thank you for your response. I did not think I was doing anything wrong
> > as
> > it does work except in VISTA. Can you explain how to change the Remote
> > Desktop Connection port from 3389 to something different? I can change it
> > in
> > my firewall and in Trendmicro firewall software. I just don't know how to
> > change the Windows PORT for MSTSC.
> >
> > THANKS! JIM
> >
> > "Rick Rogers" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> The fact that you can connect from other XP boxes behind the router means
> >> that a) your remote settings are correct and that b) the firewall on the
> >> target machine is allowing connections. I would suspect that the problem
> >> lies in how your router is forwarding the signal on 3389. It may be going
> >> only one IP inside your workgroup. Try changing the target or using a
> >> different port to target this machine.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Best of Luck,

> >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> >> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
> >>
> >> "JimF...." <JimF....@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> news3EBCC7C-A7D6-4C38-B21D-82905B8F0CDA@microsoft.com...

Seth

> Thank you again. I actually have both ip addresses listed in the
> forwarding
> list. I had already thought of that possibility.

How is your router going to know which internal address to forward port 3389
traffic to? It can only do it to one. I'm surprised it allow you to set 2
forward destinations for the same port.

Set one of the machine to listen on a different port (someone else provided
that link) and forward that port to that specific machine. Now when you try
3389 it will connect to machine "A" and 3390 to machine "B".

JimF....

Re: Remote Desktop Connections From XP Pro to Vista Ultimate
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!

REMOVED SECOND POINTER TO THE SECOND FORWARDING ENTRY. PROBLEM NOW SOLVED!
YEAH!

THANKS TO EVERYONE FOR THE KNOWLEDGE AND WILLINGNESS TO SHARE IT!

JIMF