reboot loop on crcdisk.sys after bios upgrade

Trevor Baker

reboot loop on crcdisk.sys after bios upgrade
I have a new machine with a new Asus P5B-E motherbaord and new bios versions
are coming our semi-frequently. I had Vista Ultimate correctly intalled and
working just fine and decided to upgrade to the new bios. Upon installing
the new bios and rebooting Vista gets stuck in a reboot loop. Booting into
Safe Mode shows the last driver it is attempting to load before the reboot
is crcdisk.sys. The first time this happened a week or so ago I wan't sure
what went wrong so just reinstalled and re-activated. A new mb bios came
out and I flashed the mb last night and I am again stuck in the crcdisk.sys
reboot loop. Since this has now happened to me twice I am pretty sure this
is related to flashing the motherboard bios. The motherboard has a JMicron
SATA/Raid controller which may be getting it's bios flashed at the same time
as the motherboard. The primary disk is a SATA drive on the JMicron
controller but is not configured in a raid array.

Any ideas? I don't really want to have to install Vista and reactivate
every time I flash the motherboard bios!

--
-Trevor

KilliansRedLeo

RE: reboot loop on crcdisk.sys after bios upgrade
I had a simialr problem. Here is what I did.
If your BIOS has a option to support 'legacy USB' disable it. Sometimes the
OS and the BIOS trying to control the same thing results in problems.

My MB Intel L440GX has UDB on the MB and I had nothing connected to it when
I got stuck in the loop and I do ot ave the legacy USB option in my BIOS
setup program. By the way this happened to me on a clean install of Vista
business.

I reasoned that if crcdisk was having a problem and I had no USB disks
attached to the system then crcdisk might not know what to do if it does not
encounter a disk. I plugged a seagate pocket USB drive into the box and
started the install over again.....viola everything worked. I can remove the
device reboot without it and no problems.

Hope this helps
TJ Holcomb
Xerox

"Trevor Baker" wrote:

> I have a new machine with a new Asus P5B-E motherbaord and new bios versions
> are coming our semi-frequently. I had Vista Ultimate correctly intalled and
> working just fine and decided to upgrade to the new bios. Upon installing
> the new bios and rebooting Vista gets stuck in a reboot loop. Booting into
> Safe Mode shows the last driver it is attempting to load before the reboot
> is crcdisk.sys. The first time this happened a week or so ago I wan't sure
> what went wrong so just reinstalled and re-activated. A new mb bios came
> out and I flashed the mb last night and I am again stuck in the crcdisk.sys
> reboot loop. Since this has now happened to me twice I am pretty sure this
> is related to flashing the motherboard bios. The motherboard has a JMicron
> SATA/Raid controller which may be getting it's bios flashed at the same time
> as the motherboard. The primary disk is a SATA drive on the JMicron
> controller but is not configured in a raid array.
>
> Any ideas? I don't really want to have to install Vista and reactivate
> every time I flash the motherboard bios!
>
> --
> -Trevor

Loop: can't reinstall Vista Brett microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 3 11-29-2007 12:05
Old issue-Bios-Attn Lang Jeff microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 0 02-28-2007 17:48
Windows Explorer in Constant loop of stopping and Restarting =?Utf-8?B?VzRybDBja19uaW5lNg==?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 0 02-21-2007 18:53
Vista Enterprise won't boot after crcdisk.sys =?Utf-8?B?QW50aG9ueQ==?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 1 02-19-2007 00:55
RE: RC1 Reboot Loop? =?Utf-8?B?Unpsb2Ru?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation setup 0 12-08-2006 00:08