XP MCE & Vista OEM duel boot?

=?Utf-8?B?SmVmZg==?=

XP MCE & Vista OEM duel boot?
Currently have XP MCE 2005 installed on c:\ and am running Vista RC2 on e:\
(separate drive and partition) and would like to know if I can use a Vista
OEM DVD to replace my RC2 and maintain my systems duel boot configuration.

Any ideas?

I do understand that OEM versions cannot be transferred to a new machine
(not an issue since machine is new).

Thanks in advance.

Jeff

=?Utf-8?B?SmVmZg==?=

RE: XP MCE & Vista OEM duel boot?
As an alternative... can I install Vista on a new drive and then restore XP
to its original drive?

"Jeff" wrote:

> Currently have XP MCE 2005 installed on c:\ and am running Vista RC2 on e:\
> (separate drive and partition) and would like to know if I can use a Vista
> OEM DVD to replace my RC2 and maintain my systems duel boot configuration.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> I do understand that OEM versions cannot be transferred to a new machine
> (not an issue since machine is new).
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Jeff

=?Utf-8?B?SmVmZg==?=

RE: XP MCE & Vista OEM duel boot?
Or can I install Vista OEM to a new drive and then reinstall my MCE to its
original spot?

"Jeff" wrote:

> Currently have XP MCE 2005 installed on c:\ and am running Vista RC2 on e:\
> (separate drive and partition) and would like to know if I can use a Vista
> OEM DVD to replace my RC2 and maintain my systems duel boot configuration.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> I do understand that OEM versions cannot be transferred to a new machine
> (not an issue since machine is new).
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Jeff

Colin Barnhorst

Re: XP MCE & Vista OEM duel boot?
Only with a full edition. An upgrade edition will install Vista on the
system volume of the legacy Windows that qualifies you for upgrade pricing.
Anything else would not be an upgrade.

"Jeff" <Jeff@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Or can I install Vista OEM to a new drive and then reinstall my MCE to its
> original spot?
>
> "Jeff" wrote:
>
>> Currently have XP MCE 2005 installed on c:\ and am running Vista RC2 on
>> e:\
>> (separate drive and partition) and would like to know if I can use a
>> Vista
>> OEM DVD to replace my RC2 and maintain my systems duel boot
>> configuration.
>>
>> Any ideas?
>>
>> I do understand that OEM versions cannot be transferred to a new machine
>> (not an issue since machine is new).
>>
>> Thanks in advance.
>>
>> Jeff

=?Utf-8?B?SmVmZg==?=

Re: XP MCE & Vista OEM duel boot?
Sorry Colin I must be extra thick this morning. Isn't an OEM version a full
version?

I guess I still not real clear.

Can I leave MCE installed and use an OEM Vista disk to install Vista on a
2nd drive?

Jeff

"Colin Barnhorst" wrote:

> Only with a full edition. An upgrade edition will install Vista on the
> system volume of the legacy Windows that qualifies you for upgrade pricing.
> Anything else would not be an upgrade.

=?Utf-8?B?QklHREFERFk1MQ==?=

Re: XP MCE & Vista OEM duel boot?
As long as the Vista OEM version is a full version, and not an upgrade
version, you can do a dual boot of MCE and Vista

"Jeff" wrote:

> Sorry Colin I must be extra thick this morning. Isn't an OEM version a full
> version?
>
> I guess I still not real clear.
>
> Can I leave MCE installed and use an OEM Vista disk to install Vista on a
> 2nd drive?
>
> Jeff
>
> "Colin Barnhorst" wrote:
>
> > Only with a full edition. An upgrade edition will install Vista on the
> > system volume of the legacy Windows that qualifies you for upgrade pricing.
> > Anything else would not be an upgrade.

=?Utf-8?B?SmVmZg==?=

Re: XP MCE & Vista OEM duel boot?
YUP! full version.. tnx

Jeff

"BIGDADDY51" wrote:

> As long as the Vista OEM version is a full version, and not an upgrade
> version, you can do a dual boot of MCE and Vista
>
> "Jeff" wrote:
>
> > Sorry Colin I must be extra thick this morning. Isn't an OEM version a full
> > version?
> >
> > I guess I still not real clear.
> >
> > Can I leave MCE installed and use an OEM Vista disk to install Vista on a
> > 2nd drive?
> >
> > Jeff
> >
> > "Colin Barnhorst" wrote:
> >
> > > Only with a full edition. An upgrade edition will install Vista on the
> > > system volume of the legacy Windows that qualifies you for upgrade pricing.
> > > Anything else would not be an upgrade.

=?Utf-8?B?Sm9lIE9naWJh?=

Re: XP MCE & Vista OEM duel boot?
I am suprised some people still don't know that Vista OEM disks are only full
versions. I am also dual-booting Vista RC2 and XP but will wait until RC2
expires before getting a retail version of Vista or an OEM version. Since OEM
disks won't work after a motherboard upgrade I might just get the retail
upgrade version and hope that all my stuff on XP runs on Vista if I dump XP
(dual-boot).