Buying OEM, and using it after a full upgrade?

=?Utf-8?B?U2VkIFdlcg==?=

Buying OEM, and using it after a full upgrade?
Hi I was thinking to buy Vista OEM or full but I don't know yet because I
upgrade my motherboard or hard drive every year so I would like to know if I
will be able to use this License Key every time I upgrade my hardware and
using it only on one computer.
Dave B.

Re: Buying OEM, and using it after a full upgrade?
Asked and answered multiple times daily, try searching the forums.
Shouldn't be a problem.

--
----
http://www.db-pc.com
"Sed Wer" <Sed Wer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi I was thinking to buy Vista OEM or full but I don't know yet because I
> upgrade my motherboard or hard drive every year so I would like to know if
> will be able to use this License Key every time I upgrade my hardware and
> using it only on one computer.

JW

Re: Buying OEM, and using it after a full upgrade?
You might have problems if you replace the Mobo since Activatiion will not
occur automatically and MS has in the past considered a Mobo replacement as
a different system which is why when you purchase a system from a
manufacturer with the Product Key on the system cabinet you are normally
able to replace any component except for the MOBO unless the origional OEM
manufacturer certifies that the MOBO replacement is due to MOBO failure
while the system is still under its warranty.
"Dave B." <mail@nomail.net> wrote in message
> Asked and answered multiple times daily, try searching the forums.
> Shouldn't be a problem.
>
> --
> ----
> How to Post http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> http://www.db-pc.com
> "Sed Wer" <Sed Wer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Hi I was thinking to buy Vista OEM or full but I don't know yet because I
>> upgrade my motherboard or hard drive every year so I would like to know
>> if I
>> will be able to use this License Key every time I upgrade my hardware and
>> using it only on one computer.

Dave B.

Re: Buying OEM, and using it after a full upgrade?
Key word being "might", it will likely not be a problem.

--
----
http://www.db-pc.com
"JW" <nospam@no.spam> wrote in message
> You might have problems if you replace the Mobo since Activatiion will not
> occur automatically and MS has in the past considered a Mobo replacement
> as a different system which is why when you purchase a system from a
> manufacturer with the Product Key on the system cabinet you are normally
> able to replace any component except for the MOBO unless the origional OEM
> manufacturer certifies that the MOBO replacement is due to MOBO failure
> while the system is still under its warranty.
> "Dave B." <mail@nomail.net> wrote in message
>> Asked and answered multiple times daily, try searching the forums.
>> Shouldn't be a problem.
>>
>> --
>> ----
>> Crosspost, do not multipost http://www.blakjak.demon.co.uk/mul_crss.htm
>> How to ask a question http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375
>> How to Post http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>> http://www.db-pc.com
>> ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>> "Sed Wer" <Sed Wer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> Hi I was thinking to buy Vista OEM or full but I don't know yet because
>>> upgrade my motherboard or hard drive every year so I would like to know
>>> if I
>>> will be able to use this License Key every time I upgrade my hardware
>>> and
>>> using it only on one computer.

=?Utf-8?B?U2VkIFdlcg==?=

Re: Buying OEM, and using it after a full upgrade?
So if I buy a Retail Version do I will be able to upgrade my motherboard and
hard drive without needing to buy a new license?
Dave B.

Re: Buying OEM, and using it after a full upgrade?
Yes you will, but you will also be able to perform the same upgrades using
an OEM version, you just can't transfer the OEM to an entirely new system
like you can with the retail version.

--
----
> So if I buy a Retail Version do I will be able to upgrade my motherboard
> and
> hard drive without needing to buy a new license?

Henry Jones

Re: Buying OEM, and using it after a full upgrade?
If you call the activation line and explain what happened, they will ask you
if the OS is installed on only one computer. If you say yes, they will most
likely re-activate it for you. Their goal is to stop people from mass
stealing not the people who have legitimate issues with a PC. I have called
them with XP activation many times and I don't believe it their actions will
change now.

But I could be wrong :-(

"Sed Wer" <SedWer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> So if I buy a Retail Version do I will be able to upgrade my motherboard
> and
> hard drive without needing to buy a new license?

JW

Re: Buying OEM, and using it after a full upgrade?
Yes. At first MS was not going to allow this but they changed their mind
last November.

"Sed Wer" <SedWer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> So if I buy a Retail Version do I will be able to upgrade my motherboard
> and
> hard drive without needing to buy a new license?

JW

Re: Buying OEM, and using it after a full upgrade?
I don't want "might" to be the issue since when I read the license agreement
it appears that a MOBO could be considered as a System replacement Since
after running RC2 for several months on my dual boot system I have decided
not to upgrade the system to Vista since I can find no compelling reason to
at this time. So in the future when I get a new dual core 64 bit MOBO I
will then get the 64 bit OEM version.
I have a new laptop and will upgrade it when my Vista Premium Espress Update
arrives in the near future.