Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

upgrading to vista ultimate from vista home basic

microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation setup






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 09-07-2007
Dheeraj
 

Posts: n/a
upgrading to vista ultimate from vista home basic
Hi

I am trying to upgrade from vista home to vista ultimate. I had been hanged
up at the "Expanding Files" section if installation process at 21% and it
never proceeds further. Can anyone please provide me a better solution for
upgrading. I had bought a DVD for vista ultimate.

Thanks
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 09-07-2007
Rick Rogers
 

Posts: n/a
Re: upgrading to vista ultimate from vista home basic
Hi,

Have you disabled any antivirus software? Also, disable boot time protection
in the system BIOS.

--
Best of Luck,

Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
My thoughts http://rick-mvp.blogspot.com

"Dheeraj" <Dheeraj@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:3D6E886C-5E55-42B8-93E3-02488CE919DF@microsoft.com...
> Hi
>
> I am trying to upgrade from vista home to vista ultimate. I had been
> hanged
> up at the "Expanding Files" section if installation process at 21% and it
> never proceeds further. Can anyone please provide me a better solution for
> upgrading. I had bought a DVD for vista ultimate.
>
> Thanks


Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 09-07-2007
Mark
 

Posts: n/a
Re: upgrading to vista ultimate from vista home basic
And, turn off the automatic update at end of installation. (This option is
one of the first you must answer during setup.)

"Dheeraj" <Dheeraj@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:3D6E886C-5E55-42B8-93E3-02488CE919DF@microsoft.com...
> Hi
>
> I am trying to upgrade from vista home to vista ultimate. I had been

hanged
> up at the "Expanding Files" section if installation process at 21% and it
> never proceeds further. Can anyone please provide me a better solution for
> upgrading. I had bought a DVD for vista ultimate.
>
> Thanks



Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 09-07-2007
Dheeraj
 

Posts: n/a
Re: upgrading to vista ultimate from vista home basic
Hi Rick,

I actualy boought a HP Compaq with windows vista basic and I had been given
symantec antivirus along with it. I didnt disable it. Anyhow I will give a
try for it.

Thank You

"Rick Rogers" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Have you disabled any antivirus software? Also, disable boot time protection
> in the system BIOS.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,
>
> Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP
> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
> My thoughts http://rick-mvp.blogspot.com
>
> "Dheeraj" <Dheeraj@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:3D6E886C-5E55-42B8-93E3-02488CE919DF@microsoft.com...
> > Hi
> >
> > I am trying to upgrade from vista home to vista ultimate. I had been
> > hanged
> > up at the "Expanding Files" section if installation process at 21% and it
> > never proceeds further. Can anyone please provide me a better solution for
> > upgrading. I had bought a DVD for vista ultimate.
> >
> > Thanks

>
>

Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 09-07-2007
R. C. White
 

Posts: n/a
Re: upgrading to vista ultimate from vista home basic
Hi, Dheeraj.

> up at the "Expanding Files" section if installation process at 21% and it
> never proceeds further.


How long is "never"? When I did a "repair install" of Vista a week or two
ago, it also hung up at this spot. I was about ready to hit the Reset
button when, finally, it continued. It must have stayed at that screen for
over 10 minutes, maybe a half-hour. And there were several other places in
the Setup process when I thought the computer must have died. And there was
NO feedback from Setup; sometimes no blinking drive lights or anything else
for a very long time. From start to opening desktop, the "in-place upgrade"
(from Vista Ultimate x64 to Vista Ultimate x64 again) took five hours!
:>( And I still had some tweaking to do after that.

So, how long was "never" in your case?

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX
rc@grandecom.net
Microsoft Windows MVP
(Running Windows Live Mail beta in Vista Ultimate x64)

"Dheeraj" <Dheeraj@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:3D6E886C-5E55-42B8-93E3-02488CE919DF@microsoft.com...
> Hi
>
> I am trying to upgrade from vista home to vista ultimate. I had been
> hanged
> up at the "Expanding Files" section if installation process at 21% and it
> never proceeds further. Can anyone please provide me a better solution for
> upgrading. I had bought a DVD for vista ultimate.
>
> Thanks


Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 09-10-2007
Dheeraj
 

Posts: n/a
Re: upgrading to vista ultimate from vista home basic
Hi White,

The definition of "Never" in my case is around 10 hours when I reset the
installation and selected "Clean Install", it had completed in around 1 hr 40
min which is a reasonable time. Anyways i couldnt figure out the possible
reason for the failure installation of "Upgrading from vista home basic to
Vista Ultimate". Its still a mystery.

Regards,
Dheeraj

"R. C. White" wrote:

> Hi, Dheeraj.
>
> > up at the "Expanding Files" section if installation process at 21% and it
> > never proceeds further.

>
> How long is "never"? When I did a "repair install" of Vista a week or two
> ago, it also hung up at this spot. I was about ready to hit the Reset
> button when, finally, it continued. It must have stayed at that screen for
> over 10 minutes, maybe a half-hour. And there were several other places in
> the Setup process when I thought the computer must have died. And there was
> NO feedback from Setup; sometimes no blinking drive lights or anything else
> for a very long time. From start to opening desktop, the "in-place upgrade"
> (from Vista Ultimate x64 to Vista Ultimate x64 again) took five hours!
> :>( And I still had some tweaking to do after that.
>
> So, how long was "never" in your case?
>
> RC
> --
> R. C. White, CPA
> San Marcos, TX
> rc@grandecom.net
> Microsoft Windows MVP
> (Running Windows Live Mail beta in Vista Ultimate x64)
>
> "Dheeraj" <Dheeraj@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:3D6E886C-5E55-42B8-93E3-02488CE919DF@microsoft.com...
> > Hi
> >
> > I am trying to upgrade from vista home to vista ultimate. I had been
> > hanged
> > up at the "Expanding Files" section if installation process at 21% and it
> > never proceeds further. Can anyone please provide me a better solution for
> > upgrading. I had bought a DVD for vista ultimate.
> >
> > Thanks

>

Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 09-10-2007
R. C. White
 

Posts: n/a
Re: upgrading to vista ultimate from vista home basic
Hi, Dheeraj.

Ten hours is close enough to "never", I suppose. :>(

I had to reinstall Vista Ultimate x86 a few days ago. I did a clean install
on a new logical drive and it completed in less than two hours - not
counting the initial tweaking that we always have to do on a new
installation. The "Expanding Files" section took only a few minutes, not
much more than 10 minutes.

As I said, I've never been able to "upgrade" to any version of Vista, beta
or RTM, with the single exception of the "in-place upgrade" of Ultimate x64
that I did recently, which took 5 hours, plus re-tweaking.

Sorry I can't be more help.

> Hi White,


My parents named me Robert Charles - for my grandfathers - and then always
called me "R. C.". The use of initials as nicknames is not uncommon in my
native Oklahoma, or here in Texas.)

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX
rc@grandecom.net
Microsoft Windows MVP
(Running Windows Live Mail beta in Vista Ultimate x64)

"Dheeraj" <Dheeraj@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:0D568DC4-D64F-461D-90DD-CD4CF9454470@microsoft.com...
> Hi White,
>
> The definition of "Never" in my case is around 10 hours when I reset the
> installation and selected "Clean Install", it had completed in around 1 hr
> 40
> min which is a reasonable time. Anyways i couldnt figure out the possible
> reason for the failure installation of "Upgrading from vista home basic to
> Vista Ultimate". Its still a mystery.
>
> Regards,
> Dheeraj
>
> "R. C. White" wrote:
>
>> Hi, Dheeraj.
>>
>> > up at the "Expanding Files" section if installation process at 21% and
>> > it
>> > never proceeds further.

>>
>> How long is "never"? When I did a "repair install" of Vista a week or
>> two
>> ago, it also hung up at this spot. I was about ready to hit the Reset
>> button when, finally, it continued. It must have stayed at that screen
>> for
>> over 10 minutes, maybe a half-hour. And there were several other places
>> in
>> the Setup process when I thought the computer must have died. And there
>> was
>> NO feedback from Setup; sometimes no blinking drive lights or anything
>> else
>> for a very long time. From start to opening desktop, the "in-place
>> upgrade"
>> (from Vista Ultimate x64 to Vista Ultimate x64 again) took five hours!
>> :>( And I still had some tweaking to do after that.
>>
>> So, how long was "never" in your case?
>>
>> RC
>>
>> "Dheeraj" <Dheeraj@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:3D6E886C-5E55-42B8-93E3-02488CE919DF@microsoft.com...
>> > Hi
>> >
>> > I am trying to upgrade from vista home to vista ultimate. I had been
>> > hanged
>> > up at the "Expanding Files" section if installation process at 21% and
>> > it
>> > never proceeds further. Can anyone please provide me a better solution
>> > for
>> > upgrading. I had bought a DVD for vista ultimate.
>> >
>> > Thanks


Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
lost hard disc memorary after upgrading to Vista home basic gabo microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 6 07-06-2007 11:57
Upgrading Home Basic to Ultimate on more than 1 computer. KButzke microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 1 07-03-2007 02:58
Need help upgrading from vista home basic to premium Mike w. microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 7 06-17-2007 01:53
Upgrading Windows Vista Home Basic to Vista Home Premium =?Utf-8?B?Q2FsQmVhcnMwNw==?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation setup 8 03-03-2007 00:59
Upgrade has been disabled: upgrading from Vista Home Basic to Ulti =?Utf-8?B?TUc=?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation setup 17 01-03-2007 19:24




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 21:27.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120