Re: Installing Vista over old XP

PA Bear

Re: Installing Vista over old XP
Forwarded to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup newsgroup via
crosspost. [You posted to a Windows *Update* newsgroup, not a Windows
*Upgrade* newsgroup.]
AumHa VSOP & Admin; DTS-L.org

ElGordo wrote:
> Have a HD with 2 partitions. One had XP installed, but when I had to
> replace
> the motherboard, the OS had to be re-registered and this wasrefused as I
> had
> done it several times due to virus/etc. I didnt want to fight this as my
> XP
> was quite old and I bought Vista Home Premium. How can I install it. On
> booting up I get the old XP that doesnt let me get started. If I boot from
> the dvd, an error message comes up and back to XP again. I want to get the
> vista onto the c drive and leave the second partition intact. If I have to
> can clear the whole HD, but would prefer an easier way.
> Gordon

Rick Rogers

Re: Installing Vista over old XP
Hi Gordon,

>> Have a HD with 2 partitions. One had XP installed, but when I had to
>> replace
>> the motherboard, the OS had to be re-registered and this wasrefused as I
>> had
>> done it several times due to virus/etc.

Activation would not be refused simply due to the number of reinstalls
performed. You can do that an unlimited number of times. More likely that
you had an OEM version of XP, and when you switched motherboards you can no
longer activate as an XP OEM license is not transferable to new hardware
once activated.

> I didnt want to fight this as my XP
>> was quite old and I bought Vista Home Premium.

Upgrade or Full version? The upgrade has to be started from within a
working, activated XP installation. The full version is installed by booting
the DVD.

> How can I install it. On booting up I get the old XP that doesnt let me
> get started.

Are you sure the BIOS is set to boot from the optical drive first? Or are
you seeing a message that you cannot install with your Product Key from a
booted DVD (meaning you have an upgrade disk)?

> If I boot from the dvd, an error message comes up and back to XP again.

What error message?

> I want to get the vista onto the c drive and leave the second partition
> intact. If I have to
>> can clear the whole HD, but would prefer an easier way.

There is no reason you would need to undo your partitioning, though you may
need to format C: if there is insufficient free space. How much free space
is available on that volume?

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/