Copy hard drive and activation

=?Utf-8?B?QW5kcmV3IFRhcHA=?=

Copy hard drive and activation
Up until now, using Windows XP Pro, i have periodically (at least every week
and sometimes twice) used Ghost to copy the contents of my laptop drive to a
second hard drive. In the case of a failure i am able to remove the original
hard drive and replace it with the second hard drive and continue as if
nothing had happened.

I would assume that i am able to still do this under Windows Vista Ultimate
(with a version of Ghost that works under Vista). However what are the
implications regarding activation, does it behave like XP and allow me to
continue without question on the second hard drive in the event of failure of
the first.

Many thanks.
John Barnes

Re: Copy hard drive and activation
I can only speak for RC1 and my experiences, but if you install a Ghost
image on a different HD you will shortly be told to activate within 3 days
due to hardware changes. Vista does use the HD as the prime determiner of
reactivation.

"Andrew Tapp" <AndrewTapp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Up until now, using Windows XP Pro, i have periodically (at least every
> week
> and sometimes twice) used Ghost to copy the contents of my laptop drive to
> second hard drive. In the case of a failure i am able to remove the
> original
> hard drive and replace it with the second hard drive and continue as if
> nothing had happened.
>
> I would assume that i am able to still do this under Windows Vista
> Ultimate
> (with a version of Ghost that works under Vista). However what are the
> implications regarding activation, does it behave like XP and allow me to
> continue without question on the second hard drive in the event of failure
> of
> the first.
>
> Many thanks.

John Barnes

Re: Copy hard drive and activation
This is the last table I have seen for Vista.
Component Class Name Default Weight
CD-ROM/CD-RW/DVD-ROM 1
IDE Adaptor 3
Physical OS Hard Drive Serial # 11
Display Adaptor 1
SCSI Adaptor 2
Audio Adaptor 2
Network Adaptor MAC Address 2
Processor 3
RAM Amount Range (i.e. 0-512mb, 512-1GB) 1
BIOS ID ('0' always matches) 9