Vista Ultimate x64 installed only shows 2GB of Ram when I have 4gb

alltheway

Vista Ultimate x64 installed only shows 2GB of Ram when I have 4gb

I tried to do a clean install of Vista Ultimate x64 yesterday. When
Vista finally booted to my desktop it only showed 2GB of installed
memory. I checked my BIOS and it said I had 4GB. When I previously had
Vista installed it always showed 4GB but I remember installing Vista the
first time with only 2GB in my computer. Should I re-install Vista
ultimate and then add the other 2GB later?

Thanks,

--
alltheway

- Aaron

ASUS P5ND2-SLI
Intel Pentium D 830 3.0ghz
Corsair XMS PC5400 4GB Dual Channel
EVGA 7800GT x BFG 7800GT SLI
Antec 550w SLI Certified
160 GB WD Vista Ultimate x64
80 GB Hitatchi Windows XP SP2
ACER 22" Widescreen
Logitech 'MX518 Gaming-Grade Optical Mouse'
(http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/mi...s/187&cl=us,en)

Logitech X-540 5.1
Paul Randall

Re: Vista Ultimate x64 installed only shows 2GB of Ram when I have 4gb

"alltheway" <alltheway.2whyw1@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message

> I tried to do a clean install of Vista Ultimate x64 yesterday. When
> Vista finally booted to my desktop it only showed 2GB of installed
> memory. I checked my BIOS and it said I had 4GB. When I previously had
> Vista installed it always showed 4GB but I remember installing Vista the
> first time with only 2GB in my computer. Should I re-install Vista
> ultimate and then add the other 2GB later?

Groups.google for the three words 2gb x64 install
in group: microsoft.public.windows.vista.*

You should find a number of success stories of those who did what you are
suggesting. When you find your solution, post back here so there will be
another success story to google.

-Paul Randall

alltheway

Re: Vista Ultimate x64 installed only shows 2GB of Ram when I have 4gb

What I am going to do is just take out my 2 x 1GB sticks and then
re-install Vista. I think this should solve the problem after reading
other reports on Google. Vista doesn't seem to like machines with 4GB
installed. Gonna remove 2 of the sticks and will report if this seems
to work.

--
alltheway

- Aaron

ASUS P5ND2-SLI
Intel Pentium D 830 3.0ghz
Corsair XMS PC5400 4GB Dual Channel
EVGA 7800GT x BFG 7800GT SLI
Antec 550w SLI Certified
160 GB WD Vista Ultimate x64
80 GB Hitatchi Windows XP SP2
ACER 22" Widescreen
Logitech 'MX518 Gaming-Grade Optical Mouse'
(http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/mi...s/187&cl=us,en)

Logitech X-540 5.1
JW

Re: Vista Ultimate x64 installed only shows 2GB of Ram when I have 4gb
The following KB article discuses Vista 64 bit 4GB issues.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929605/en-us

Are all 4 of your 1GB sticks the same speed from the same vendor?

"alltheway" <alltheway.2wi4g5@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message

> What I am going to do is just take out my 2 x 1GB sticks and then
> re-install Vista. I think this should solve the problem after reading
> other reports on Google. Vista doesn't seem to like machines with 4GB
> installed. Gonna remove 2 of the sticks and will report if this seems
> to work.
>

> --
> alltheway
>
> - Aaron
>
> ASUS P5ND2-SLI
> Intel Pentium D 830 3.0ghz
> Corsair XMS PC5400 4GB Dual Channel
> EVGA 7800GT x BFG 7800GT SLI
> Antec 550w SLI Certified
> 160 GB WD Vista Ultimate x64
> 80 GB Hitatchi Windows XP SP2
> ACER 22" Widescreen
> Logitech 'MX518 Gaming-Grade Optical Mouse'
> (http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/mi...s/187&cl=us,en)
>
> Logitech X-540 5.1

alltheway

JW;443855 Wrote:
> The following KB article discuses Vista 64 bit 4GB issues.
>
> 'The system memory that is reported in the System Information dialog
> box in Windows Vista is less than you expect if 4 GB of RAM is
> installed' (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929605/en-us)
>
> Are all 4 of your 1GB sticks the same speed from the same vendor?
>
> "alltheway" <alltheway.2wi4g5@xxxxxx-mx.forums.net> wrote in message

I have 2 x 1GB Mushkin PC53000

My other sticks are Corsair XMS 2 x 1GB PC5400.

When I first installed Vista I only installed it with the Corsair
memory in it. I then later put in my older RAM and when I did it showed
4GB. So what I am going to do is re-install it with the Corsair memory
and then add the Mushkin memory later.

--
alltheway

- Aaron

ASUS P5ND2-SLI
Intel Pentium D 830 3.0ghz
Corsair XMS PC5400 4GB Dual Channel
EVGA 7800GT x BFG 7800GT SLI
Antec 550w SLI Certified
160 GB WD Vista Ultimate x64
80 GB Hitatchi Windows XP SP2
ACER 22" Widescreen
Logitech 'MX518 Gaming-Grade Optical Mouse'
(http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/mi...s/187&cl=us,en)

Logitech X-540 5.1
JW

Re: Vista Ultimate x64 installed only shows 2GB of Ram when I have 4gb
You need to make sure in your BIOS that all of your installed memory is
running at the same speed since Vista tests the memory speed and will not
use memory running at different speeds like the XP OS would.
"alltheway" <alltheway.2wics1@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message

> JW;443855 Wrote:
>> The following KB article discuses Vista 64 bit 4GB issues.
>>
>> 'The system memory that is reported in the System Information dialog
>> box in Windows Vista is less than you expect if 4 GB of RAM is
>> installed' (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929605/en-us)
>>
>> Are all 4 of your 1GB sticks the same speed from the same vendor?
>>
>> "alltheway" <alltheway.2wi4g5@xxxxxx-mx.forums.net> wrote in message

> I have 2 x 1GB Mushkin PC53000
>
> My other sticks are Corsair XMS 2 x 1GB PC5400.
>
> When I first installed Vista I only installed it with the Corsair
> memory in it. I then later put in my older RAM and when I did it showed
> 4GB. So what I am going to do is re-install it with the Corsair memory
> and then add the Mushkin memory later.
>

> --
> alltheway
>
> - Aaron
>
> ASUS P5ND2-SLI
> Intel Pentium D 830 3.0ghz
> Corsair XMS PC5400 4GB Dual Channel
> EVGA 7800GT x BFG 7800GT SLI
> Antec 550w SLI Certified
> 160 GB WD Vista Ultimate x64
> 80 GB Hitatchi Windows XP SP2
> ACER 22" Widescreen
> Logitech 'MX518 Gaming-Grade Optical Mouse'
> (http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/mi...s/187&cl=us,en)
>
> Logitech X-540 5.1

alltheway

Re: Vista Ultimate x64 installed only shows 2GB of Ram when I have 4gb

Im not really sure how to do that...I have look extensively in my BIOS
for that option. I have a ASUS P5ND2 - SLI motherboard.

--
alltheway

- Aaron

ASUS P5ND2-SLI
Intel Pentium D 830 3.0ghz
Corsair XMS PC5400 4GB Dual Channel
EVGA 7800GT x BFG 7800GT SLI
Antec 550w SLI Certified
160 GB WD Vista Ultimate x64
80 GB Hitatchi Windows XP SP2
ACER 22" Widescreen
Logitech 'MX518 Gaming-Grade Optical Mouse'
(http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/mi...s/187&cl=us,en)

Logitech X-540 5.1
Noel

Re: Vista Ultimate x64 installed only shows 2GB of Ram when I have
Also make sure in the Bios memory remap is enabled for 64 bit. If it is not
you will not see all your ram in vista 64 Bit.

"alltheway" wrote:

> Im not really sure how to do that...I have look extensively in my BIOS
> for that option. I have a ASUS P5ND2 - SLI motherboard.
>

> --
> alltheway
>
> - Aaron
>
> ASUS P5ND2-SLI
> Intel Pentium D 830 3.0ghz
> Corsair XMS PC5400 4GB Dual Channel
> EVGA 7800GT x BFG 7800GT SLI
> Antec 550w SLI Certified
> 160 GB WD Vista Ultimate x64
> 80 GB Hitatchi Windows XP SP2
> ACER 22" Widescreen
> Logitech 'MX™518 Gaming-Grade Optical Mouse'
> (http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/mi...s/187&cl=us,en)
>
> Logitech X-540 5.1

alltheway

Noel;445589 Wrote:
> Also make sure in the Bios memory remap is enabled for 64 bit. If it is
> not
> you will not see all your ram in vista 64 Bit.
>
> "alltheway" wrote:

Got the problem resolved. What I did is put the slower speed RAM in the
first DIMM slot then put the faster RAM in the second slot. Seems to
work just fine...hopefully soon I will buy another 2 GB of the Corsair
XMS PC5400 667mhz.