Intermittent startup?

=?Utf-8?B?SmltIEthcmFt?=

Intermittent startup?
Just upgraded from XP Pro to Vista Ultimate build 5840. I also am repeatedly
getting startups halted, with a subsequent power down, as others have noted.
Only rarely does Vista realize it halted, indicated by its offering to do a
startup repair. The one time that occurred, it made two passes, mainly
checking disk and system file integrity, before conceding it had done all it
could.

The halts are fairly consistent, mainly occurring just before the logon
screen becomes visible, e.g., just or soon after loading monitor.sys. Less
frequently, it occurs in the region after failing to load srv.sys, even
though that specific driver also fails to load in successful startups. I
know all this by looking at the ntbtlog.txt files in safe mode.

Regardless, after 2-5 failures to startup and with no evident changes, the
system then boots successfully and appears to work just fine. However, I
have yet to reboot successfully on the first attempt. There's been no recent
changes in any drivers or system configuration, and it mostly works.

Any ideas how to stabilize this or investigate it further? BTW, is it the
last driver to successfully load that is the likely culprit, or the next one
that's attempting to load?
Bill Frisbee

Re: Intermittent startup?
Jim,

As far as I know unless you are an offical Microsoft Beta Tester, that
version/build was never released for public consumption.

Does this still happen with offical releases such as RC2 or RTM?

Bill F.

"Jim Karam" <JimKaram@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Just upgraded from XP Pro to Vista Ultimate build 5840. I also am
> repeatedly
> getting startups halted, with a subsequent power down, as others have
> noted.
> Only rarely does Vista realize it halted, indicated by its offering to do
> startup repair. The one time that occurred, it made two passes, mainly
> checking disk and system file integrity, before conceding it had done all
> it
> could.
>
> The halts are fairly consistent, mainly occurring just before the logon
> screen becomes visible, e.g., just or soon after loading monitor.sys.
> Less
> frequently, it occurs in the region after failing to load srv.sys, even
> though that specific driver also fails to load in successful startups. I
> know all this by looking at the ntbtlog.txt files in safe mode.
>
> Regardless, after 2-5 failures to startup and with no evident changes, the
> system then boots successfully and appears to work just fine. However, I
> have yet to reboot successfully on the first attempt. There's been no
> recent
> changes in any drivers or system configuration, and it mostly works.
>
> Any ideas how to stabilize this or investigate it further? BTW, is it the
> last driver to successfully load that is the likely culprit, or the next
> one
> that's attempting to load?

=?Utf-8?B?SmltIEthcmFt?=

Re: Intermittent startup?
Unfortunately, that is the only version that I have. It was provided as a
giveaway last week at a Microsoft launch event. I would have thought that it
was one of the latest versions.